• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new impact wrench

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Folks:

I'm 53 years old, and never owned an impact wrench. I finally got one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WQQ90A/

I got it as an open-box item for $106.

I also got a full set of chrome molybdenum (not chrome vanadium) sockets.

I'm amazed at how much easier it is to get things done with this. I mean, I knew it would help, but I don't ever want to go back to working without one. I just replaced the mcpherson struts and swaybar bushings on my wife's 2010 Toyota RAV4, and man, this thing made all the difference. So much faster. So much easier. I also rebuilt my Denso alternator, and the impact wrench popped off the pulley nut like it was nothing. I sure wish I had this when I was changing out the pinion seal on my F250.

So ... if you're considering the purchase, I can tell you ... I don't regret getting it at all. When you look at impact sockets, I recommend getting a chome-moly (CrMo) set, not the chrome vanadium (CrV). The cheaper impact sets just use thick CrV and call it good, but CrV is more brittle than CrMo, and is more likely to crack. I avoid CrV in all my tools, to be honest.

My little 4.5 CFM, twin-tank compressor has a hard time keeping up, but I have a bunch of components scavenged up to make a larger compressor. I also need to get a shorter and fatter air hose for it. But overall, I'm very very happy with the purchase.

Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating on my wife with this thing!

Think that is the same one is have for work. It replaced my old ir gun that I loved but it got destroyed. The air cat is way quieter tho. I have their 3/8 gun too. Still going strong after like 3-4 years of abuse.

I love air tools and felt the same way after I got my first ones. I recently moved and don't have an outlet for my compressor in the new garage and don't want to do anything until O have air tools.

About to buy my first impact wrench. I see a huge selection, huge price and torque ranges at Northern tool, and Harbor has a nice special this weekend too. Too many choices.:roflmao:

My first use is to help loosen the rear leaf spring bolts on a 1987 XJ. I need something I can hold onto (my RA limits how much my hands can handle now days). And I need efficient use of what little air I have. I need something that the leaf spring bolts will respect, with out laughing me off the planet LOL

Looking for suggestions, and experiences...

Back