• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP ! Death Wobble. Caster angle ?

This is due to the u joint angle

Your talking apples to oranges, U-joints don't cause or help to cause DW.

I suspect that adjusting the pinion angle to 0 degrees caused the turning forces to bind the u joint in the driveshaft at that speed.
how much angle can I get on that front driveshaft U joint before its gonna bind at speed ?

That would be a totally different issue!

blu3fan;246595908Anyone who says caster angle cannot cause death wobble. Doesnt know what death wobble is yet. This is something beyond death wobble. maybe it should have its own name... LOL !!![/QUOTE said:
It could only "contribute" to what ever else is going on, but not by itself!

You still haven't said what track-bar and bracket your running?

As a stated earlier, I'm at 5.5" lift w/ a LP D30 and running 2.9* of caster for 15yrs now and it drives better than it did when I drove it off the lot brand new!

I don't believe you mentioned anything about your tires/wheels/ and balance?

oh.
I got kevins upgraded track bar.
stock wheels.
31x10.5r15's

^ the point. is. it did not have big issues

I adjusted the castor. it almost ate its own axle.

That means the problem was already there but the castor "set it in motion".

That means the problem was already there but the castor "set it in motion".

So your telling me to tighten up parts that I have double checked are tight.
Re-Align what is aligned.
and replace things that are already new ?
I think you missed the point here.

Back to my question.

I have read of people running 6-9+camber.
I feel like this might be too much.

Im going to re- check all the angles on everything and throw it into a driveline calculator.

What's your toe-in?
Is the axle centered?
Is it square to the drivetrain(thrust angle)?
Check for hole elongation(not just tighten) specially the track-bar mount and pivot point.
You haven't mentioned the tre's?

As everyone has already said, your going to need a assistant to look for moving parts

What's your toe-in?
Is the axle centered?
Is it square to the drivetrain(thrust angle)?
Check for hole elongation(not just tighten) specially the track-bar mount and pivot point.
You haven't mentioned the tre's?

As everyone has already said, your going to need a assistant to look for moving parts

I have drilled the track bar hole out with kevins kit.
Car is laser aligned. that should answer some questions

TRE ?

Tie rod end and most shops can't deal with the requirements of a lifted vehicle. They only know what the computer says and that generally doesn't work!

If you drilled out the track-bar bracket, did you ream it to the precise size? Any movement of that bolt is cause for concern.

You should still have a print-out like this?
jeep%20align_zpsyvtrqk8t.jpg

to add a footnote.
When I said I had replaced and checked All Suspension parts. I was not kidding.
and. When You have checked all suspension components. Then And only then. can you move to caster angle.
My original question was as to How. I would get the axle to flex backwards.
I found my answer elsewhere.
Ratchet strap.

Im going to sit at +7 and see how it drives. got it up to 65 and 0 issues. hasnt driven this smooth in years.

But, you still have a problem somewhere! You may be able to "mask" it but it's still there. You might as well get a "super Band-Aid" ,finding the biggest steering damper you can. :roflmao:

But, you still have a problem somewhere! You may be able to "mask" it but it's still there. You might as well get a "super Band-Aid" ,finding the biggest steering damper you can. :roflmao:

Yeah... I do have a problem.
Low pinion dana 30 axle. I would have to cut the ears off the axle and re-weld them on.
so we make a band-aid. the best we can.

Low pinion dana 30 axle. I would have to cut the ears off the axle and re-weld them on.

If your referring to mine, I have ZERO issues with the way it is!

I’ve done more tinkering.
I figured something out for future people.
At +7 I found a good spot.it drove well. Then I did the correct thing
I measured all my angles. Put it in a driveline calculator.
It gave me 2.9+ as the ideal angle.
Set it to this.
A little more improvement over +7 but a little is still improvement.
I think I missed it. Going to +4 and further was just readjusting from outside of tire. To inside of tire

What does the tire have to do with that?

It could only "contribute" to what ever else is going on, but not by itself!

You sir are 100% wrong. Caster absolutely can and will cause death wobble all by itself, even in a brand spanking new car. We can grab a JK off the dealer lot, adjust the caster and it'll shake the poop out of you. With old XJ's it's absolutely most often a combination of issues, but it doesn't have to be.

What Dallas said.

I think a lot of people throw parts at DW because they don't know how to attack caster problems.

Back