• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steppin up to 35s

Goodyear MTR’s are the best tire out their for rocks.

I sure can't agree with that! I was always running bfg's and never cut one while the rest of the group were running mtr's and always cut a sidewall!

Personally I wont run goodyear. I have seen ALOT of issues with their tires the last 2-3 years. My BFGs have held up great they are just worn and I wanna try these milestars.
BTW anyone have a clue what would cause both pass side tires to wear faster than the drivers side?

Not exciting, but:

Reinforce the area of the "frame" where the steering box is mounted.

Frame stiffeners (should be first mod for any XJ that will be off-roaded regularly IMO).

Sleeved are a waste of time and money. Seen axles snap right where the sleeve ends to many times. Trussing not only tied the tubes together but reinforces center section from deflection. I run iron rock trusses front and rear with rcvs. Hp30 4.56 gears on 35s. Rear is still a d35 non c clip 30 spline cromos. Got a tj 44 in the garage still to build. I run cooper stt pro and the are the best tire I have ever had. Been through bfg mtrs and toyo

On a further note I snapped probably 3 sets of factory shafts in my lp30. I didn't want to upgrade them in fear of snapping a ring gear. I figured a hp30 with rcvs is just as strong as a tj rubi 44. Especially with the truss.

I thought about doing sleeves to hold me over till I can get everything together for a truss. Ill be doing the artec truss up front and the IRO truss on the 8.25.
And as for axles im gonna run what I got till I break something, the 8.25s can take a beating and a HP30 isn't a weakling either. ive been told by a lot of people to put the Grand Cherokee axles in the D30. I have seen those axles take far more abuse than they have a right too lol.

I thought about doing sleeves to hold me over till I can get everything together for a truss. Ill be doing the artec truss up front and the IRO truss on the 8.25.
And as for axles im gonna run what I got till I break something, the 8.25s can take a beating and a HP30 isn't a weakling either. ive been told by a lot of people to put the Grand Cherokee axles in the D30. I have seen those axles take far more abuse than they have a right too lol.

it takes more effort and mental fortitude to keep those axles alive than it does to turn them into scrap metal. i have a pile of scrap parts that say they cannot take, "a beating." thats relative though.

if you are refering to the factory CV axles that came in the ZJs... they arent any upgrade over a common spicer 760.

they are stronger in turns and smoother. plus lifetime warranty if I get em at autozone.
but some people can destroy anything because their driving style or lack thereof. personally I haven't snapped any axle shafts or U-joints. but I drive sensibly and if I can go slow through and obstacle I will.

so backspacing is like 4" from where it bolts to the hub to the lip of the wheel

Offset is the distance of where it bolts to the hub from the wheel centerline?
so if 4" would be the centerline of the wheel, the hub of the wheel is shifted 19mm towards the back of the wheel?
or am I confusing myself and others? lol

Back