• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 carnage

honda12

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 8.25 29 spl. i plan on 33's with a detroit locker and 4.56's gears.i have been searching to find out how strong the 8.25's are and have found alot of positive info.i am confident with my selection but am wondering if anyone has herd of breaking one. for example what situation were they in and what size tires and gearing did they have.

I've been running 32's and a ARB in my 29 spline 8.25 and haven't had any problems with the axle.. now the locker is another story.

Just carry a spare shafts and a couple c-clips.

My 8.25 has held up to 35's for about two years now. (however, that's in the slippery east coast)

Well, except for the yoke straps. I have since replaced them with u-bolts. I would strongly recommend switching to the u-bolts!

Either drill out or replace the pinion yoke with one that allows use of the u-bolts.

31" pro comp MTs on trail 15 at windrock. I use the skinny pedal a lot, and I was really mean to it on the trip out before it broke.
MVC-019S.jpg
[/IMG]
MVC-020S.jpg
[/IMG]
now building a 31 spline ford 9" and running 35" MTs.
The 8.25 held up on a lot of trips. Tellico, several trips to windrock, and a cross country trip to run some trails out in Moab and California. I personally don't think there is a huge strength difference between the 27 and 29 spline versions as they both neck down considerably as they enter the carrier
Run it until it blows up and then upgrade. That's what I did.

I'm gunna run mine till something gives, but so far it's held up fine to my 34's. Also, it's pretty hard to find replacements for it. Maybe this weekend I can head out to a junk yard and get some spare shafts and c-clips.

Thanks for all your replies. So what is the weakest point on a 8.25 the shafts? If so what about superior axles they claim 40% stronger plus a 10 year warranty! Around $120 per axle but i think its worth it. Also if i increase the strength of the axles what will be the next weakest piont it seems as if one thing will always effect another.

superiors would be a good way to go for strength, but the real poo-poo factor on the 8.25 are the gearing options. Depending on how you drive/wheel, 4.56 may not be deep enough for you.

I have been running 35's and a noslip for two years, havn't broke yet, but thats probably because I carry a spare shaft.

4.56 cause you can't go higher with an 8.25 and thats that. lets not change the thread, it is off to a good start. 95% will agree with me on this! (the other 5% are driving stock XJ's and have the internet)

anybody else break the 8.25 29spline? what size tires, locker, etc.

honda12 said:
im thinking about 410's would you agree that with 33's this would be the best for gas milage. it is a daily driver.
do not do this nor ask why. do 4.56s and never ask this again...please

running 33s 4.56s no slip and its working fine for me. seen okie give it hell welded w/35s. i dont plan on mine breaking anytime soon. but i do carry spares just in case

ive been runnin a 27 sp on 32" tires, a liockright and 3.55 gearsand with no probs, and i am abusive to that skinny pedle
if you have the money, extreme gear will make you chromolly axel shafts for a 29 sp 8.25. i think it was like 400 bucks for the pair. i heard that from a friend that got them from exteme gear

I have run a 29 spline in one of my xj's with a welded rear and 33" MT with no problems at all for 2 years now... And I too am a fan of that little pedal on the right. That being said I have a friend that spit a shaft on 33" swampers with a packed LSD. But that axle had been abused for about 5 or 6 years.

**edit** I didn't read the date on the post, sorry for digging up the dead.

Last edited:
I have the exact same set up u have. 8.25. 29 spline. 456. detroit lockers.On 35" tires. Ran it on the hardest trail in Socal. Except the hammers. No problem. I am in the process on upgrading to dana 60 front and rear. I want to go 38" tires and run the hammers. My rear will be for sale if you are interested.

Anyways a honest advice. start with the biggest axles you can get front or rear.
Like a dana 44 front and a 8.8 rear. If you are going 35-33"
Any bigger. dana 60 front and rear. Do it ones and be done with it. Learn from my mistake.

Holy Dead Thread.

All ive heard is that an 8.25 is really not that much weaker than a 44 especially when built right. Im also trying to decide between an 8.25 with 4.88s and a detroit on 35s. with this ill probably do a 44 in the front.

Back