• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Motor?

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
My drivers side window no longer stops when it gets to the top instead the motor will continue to try and crank up the window but will when it reaches the top, it sounds like it is skipping. I know that my window is all the way up so its not a matter of it sticking. Is this a problem with the motor or what?

May be a limit switch (there bloody well SHOULD be!) that has finally failed. I'm going to assume that the window makes it to full closure, and that it stops otherwise when you let off the switch.

Most motors with limited travel have two limit switches - upper and lower. Either one can fail on its own, and I don't know if they can be replaced without replacing the entire motor...

5-90

No limit switches in there, what has happened is the regulator helical wire that actually moves the window up and down may be broken (very common) or the gear that moves it may be stripped. The wire can be bought new from the dealer. The motor alone can be replaced as well.

XJguy

XJguy.....

That 'wire' can be bought separately?? Have you done this? Might this be for later models like my '98 also? If you happen to have a P/N for this type of thing might be a help cause this is a common thing for these cheapo power window regulators. Thanks.

Yeah mine is on a 98 as well. The weird part is that it the window still seems to have alot of power going up because if I try to stop it with my hand it is pretty damn hard to do so, which is why I didn't think that the gear is stripped but then again I have never really taken one apart so I have no real idea how that whole cable system really works.

I recently swapped in a newer motor unit for my pass front power window. I got it from a 96 XJ, mine is an 89. All I had to do is verify which leads contol up and down and splice the 89 connector onto the 96 motor unit. The motor and "cable" install as a unit. Payed $60.00 from the local salvage yard, they pulled it from the donor rig.
On the older XJ's like my 89, the motor assembly is riveted to the door with aluminum rivets. Just drill these out and replace them with machine screws and bolts that fit the hole (could be 1/4", can't recall), make them tight so they don't loosen up, a dab of Locktite Red on each worked for me.

XJEEPER

Moto said:
Yeah mine is on a 98 as well. The weird part is that it the window still seems to have alot of power going up because if I try to stop it with my hand it is pretty damn hard to do so, which is why I didn't think that the gear is stripped but then again I have never really taken one apart so I have no real idea how that whole cable system really works.

This might be a Chrysler thing!!!(n)

I drove a company car (300M) and the drivers side did the same thing, wanted to push the glass through the roof...

Looks like I should be buying a new motor assy. But I will leave this one in until it gets bad. I will have to see what really is involved with changing one out. It can't be too difficult.

Yes I have bought just the cable 3 times now (Its a spiral wire that has a fuzzy pipecleaner thing in the center). Go to the dealer, and go through the parts diagram youll see it there. I have every receipt of every screw I ever bought for all my XJs, but the older ones are in storage, not on hand.

XJguy

Ok here's the low down on the 97+ window regulators. First, it is DEFINATELY the regulator. On the later models (97+) you CANNOT replace just the cable, or just the motor, it is all one peice. The problem is that the peice on the end of the cable that runs on the track was plastic and would wear out, and pop and click and act funny. I would not use that window until you have the $110+ to buy a new Regulator assembly. Mine did the Exact same thing that yours did and then one day it popped and the window slowly slide down into the door. On the new regulator the peice that failed is made of metal... to bad they didn't recall that defective peice in the first place. Last March I was on a ski trip and the other regulator went out... I took the door apart and used a hose clamp to hold the window up until we got home. It's is not too hard to replace the regulator so don't pay anyone to do it. If you need more info let me know. Have a great day and sorry I didn't have better (cheaper) news for you!!
~Ryan

I've got a 98 XJ and I've got the same problem, but both up and down.

You'd figure that there would be a TSB on this problem and that Chrysler would pitch in on the fix.

I've checked at ALLDATA and there's nothing on it.

I had the parts break down all faxed over to me and you are right it is all one piece. I did manage to get a good deal however it is going to be $88 and should be in on tuesday.

Thanks RyanT-

Having looked at the new replacement regulator i have, i couldn't see how it would be at all serviceable. Wonder if there is any way of knowing if this new one would be the upgraded one?? Guess i will have to assume the replacement would automatically be the 'improved' version? Thanks.

On my son's 1988 four doorboth of the front windows move slow as if dragging on something. Can the newer motor/ regulator unit be used on his 88? Or could it be something else? Thanks Terry

Moto said:
Looks like I should be buying a new motor assy. But I will leave this one in until it gets bad. I will have to see what really is involved with changing one out. It can't be too difficult.

No, you DON'T need a new motor assembly -- you need a new regulator "cable." It is available from the dealer. Sorry, I don't have a part number, but I have discussed this with my parts guy and I know it is available.

The people at the dealership said that on the newer style regulators that they are not serviceable and that they only sell it as one piece so I couldn't get the cable

Moto said:
The people at the dealership said that on the newer style regulators that they are not serviceable and that they only sell it as one piece so I couldn't get the cable

Although that is possible, I find it highly unlikely. In addition, the 2000 XJ FSM includes a description of replacing the regulator. On Tuesday (he's off Mondays 'cause he works Saturdays) call Todd at Bradshaw Jeep (860-945-5280) and ask him. If he can get you just the "zipper" he might even be able to give you a break on price if you tell him you were referred by the NAXJA nutcase with all the MJs.

Thanks, but unfortuneatly its too late because I already had ordered the part and it will be here tomorrow, I dunno about other jeep dealerships but the ones around here don't like to take back or cancel special orders without charging a fee at least so I am stuck with the part, but thats not soo bad because a new assembly can't hurt anything i guess.

Ok, first off, I've replaced two of these things and they are ONE peice from the dealership, if you had one to look at you'd see that you CANNOT just replace the motor, or the regulator, it is all one piece, no screws, no way to replace just one peice, Todd simply doesn't know what he's talking about. :doh:

Yes, there is a way to tell if you got the "improved" regulator. The newer one has a metal piece that slides on the track, the old kind that piece was plastic. Sorry no picture.

As for the new regulators in the older jeeps... it won't work due to the window shape, there is no front quarter window on the Newer XJ's (97+)

Back