• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock absorber recommendations

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
at least 2 of my shocks are shot, what is a good shock for my stock height 95 that constantly has a couple hundred pounds of mail in it? I drive 90% heavily rutted gravel/dirt roads and want the softest ride possible but also very durable.

Well I'm a loner on this one but I swear by my Rancho 9000's because of their adjustable valving! Been running them for over 20yrs and won't install anything else.

If you have the money Old Man Emu. I was resistant to spending real money on shocks for a long time. I won't be going with anything else if I have the option.

I'd include KYB Monomax and Bilstein 4300s in your search. I do have Monomax on the front of a 2" build. I've only run it up and down my street a few time. Still, firm but not harsh. I do have Bilsteins 1500s on a rig. Frim yes, but a bit harsh. The 4300's should be softer.

Last edited:
I just put the Bilstein 4600s on. Really impressed with it from a DD standpoint, though I haven't had them offroad yet. Far smoother ride than the set of Monroes on it before.

I have to say I have been satisfied with the Skyjacker Hydros (7000-series) I've been running for a while...

Save yourself a lot of headache and order a flag nut kit for the rear. Saved me hours of teeth gnashing when I did mine.

Stay away from anything RC !!!

I really like how OME feels on the road and trail. I never got more that a couple of years
out of them though.
Bilstein 5100s have been bullet proof for several years now.

Back