• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Selec Trac transfer case?

JACKO78

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj, I am not familiar with this transfer case, it has in order listed 4WD "part time", "full time" "N", and 4WD low.
Now what exactly is the difference between "part time" and "full time"?
thanks

in full time, you can drive on the streets. the front and rear drive shafts are allowed to spin at different rates when turning so there is no binding in the transfer case. in part time, the drive shafts spin at the same speed, causing binding while turning since the front and back wheels want to spin different speeds. that is why you cant use it on the street, it would lead to breakage. full time is very good for inclement weather like heavy rain and snow while on regular streets. and part time is better when off road. if you do a search and read a little youll find anything else you want to know

in full time, you can drive on the streets. the front and rear drive shafts are allowed to spin at different rates when turning so there is no binding in the transfer case. in part time, the drive shafts spin at the same speed, causing binding while turning since the front and back wheels want to spin different speeds. that is why you cant use it on the street, it would lead to breakage. full time is very good for inclement weather like heavy rain and snow while on regular streets. and part time is better when off road. if you do a search and read a little youll find anything else you want to know

OK...thank you.

This is a 242 TC. I find full time to be nice for when there is snow on the roads with dry patches.

full time with a limited slip in the rear is AWESOME in the rain. i'll bet it was infuriating to that bmw driver to have a jeep walk away from him from a stoplight in a heavy downpour.....:laugh:

Even more awesome when I do it...with LSD Ford 8.8 in rear, e-locker in front, and 4:56's in both. The Jeep will literally scream off of the line! Ha Ha.

full time with a limited slip in the rear is AWESOME in the rain. i'll bet it was infuriating to that bmw driver to have a jeep walk away from him from a stoplight in a heavy downpour.....:laugh:

will a stock xj have limited slip from the factory?...and how can I tell if it does or doesnt?...

thanks guys for the help so far

will a stock xj have limited slip from the factory?...and how can I tell if it does or doesnt?...

Rear Limited Slip was optional on the Cherokee. There may or may not be a warning sticker in the glove box or a metal tag on the differential cover. The only way to be sure is to remove the diff cover and inspect the differential.

Open Differential on the Left, Limited Slip on the Right.

standard.jpg

Back