• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb Q: What is the fastest you went in 4H without noticing:) ?

Purple

NAXJA Forum User

If we didn't notice than how are we going to know how fast we were going?????? :)

J/K I believe that the fastet I've ever had the Jeep when I shifted was around 45 the manual says you can go 55.

1996 XJ Owner's Manual said:
To engage (4x4 Part-Time), shift transfer case lever from 2WD to 4x4 PART TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.
So you can shift into Part-Time at any 'legal' speed but if you're traveling on icy roads or in situations that may require shifting into 4wd you damn well better slow down first...

I remember once my daughter left it in 4Lo and I did not notice. Got in and went to pull out of the driveway and damn near snapped my neck when I let the clutch out and then my forehead on the steering wheel when I pushed it back in....also rearranged my rear cargo area....

I rarely went faster than 45 mph in my old 88 XJ with a 231 while in 4H. If I went above 45 mph and the wet pavement wasn't slick enough in icy conditions, I'd feel something kinda grab and then give a slight thump every 2-3 seconds. I'm sure that's not terribly good for it so after that I was a helluva a lot more selective on when I put it in 4H.

Anyway on icy/snowy roads, I wouldn't wanna go much faster than 45 or 55...even in 4H. Dirt is a different story I think.

devildog: ok, let me rephrase the question for you since you are the one having trouble understanding it:p What is the fastest you went in 4Hi before noticing you are in 4x4 mode.

I have never personally went faster than 50 on wet road in 4hi, but on graver i think i went like 90 or something, in kilometers anyway:)

RichP: hehehe, that must have been funny :)))

I've shifted into 4FT at 70mph with no obvious ill effects. Given that the manual says that the vehicle can be shifted into the high ranges from 2WD at any legal speed (and California's upper limit is 70mph), this seems like a pretty reasonable ceiling to adhere to.

Now, I have driven it in 4FT at 85mph... But that's a whole other ball of wax. :)

RichP said:
I remember once my daughter left it in 4Lo and I did not notice. Got in and went to pull out of the driveway and damn near snapped my neck when I let the clutch out and then my forehead on the steering wheel when I pushed it back in....also rearranged my rear cargo area....
the ? is.....what was she doing in 4Lo in the driveway and how long did she drive it in 4Lo? sounds like she was out playing, and forgot herself

Back when I was young and stupid (I'm older and full of wisdom now of course!) I lived in way way northern New York, where the roads were plowed but rarely salted, and I would simply put my old J-200 into 4 high and drive as usual. I don't think I ever got over about 70, but I certainly didn't hesitate to go 55 on the main roads.

hoytinak said:
the ? is.....what was she doing in 4Lo in the driveway and how long did she drive it in 4Lo? sounds like she was out playing, and forgot herself

Oh, that, we have a large front yard, we're on a corner, with some good rocks and mud, it's our "jeep" driveway. We've already had to pull two S-10 blazers and a bronco out when they tried to follow the kids in thru there.... one of the former S10 owners now has two TJ's....no S10 :laugh3: :laugh3:

Remind me, I think a 'jeeps only' sign is needed...

97 with 231 t-case...regularly go 70mph on gravel/dirt roads in 4hi. Owners manual says...4HI can be used at any normal driving speed...so long as the road surface is loose.

Purple said:

A few months ago, 55mph in the ol' 77 power wagon w/ maybe 80-90% of the oil missing from the t-case, for minute or so before I realized. Gotta love the old gear driven t-cases. It was the weird shift pattern that threw me off. It made a lot of noise so I checked and found the rear seal to be leaking.

Last edited:
I had my 85 wagoneer with the 2.5 four cylinder up around 75 in 4hi and the fastest the rpm's would let me go in 4lo is 33. 904 tranny and 229 tranfer case. 31.10.5 bfg radial mt's with 3 inch lift.

Back