• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gorrilla la Dos

Um. Heck yes. Are you serious? Ill be down in the bay in the next month. Ill hit you up if you are.

Yeah, it's yours if you want it. It's a dually axle, I think, so it's pretty wide. But if ya want it, it's yours.

So finally got a chance to get back on this guy yesterday. A while back i picked up a set of mid stiffeners for cheap from sharkmark. They were pretty rusty as they had been sitting a while. I cleaned them up and added some extra wholes. Much drilling involved.
da3997604c15a7d495e0d739f44a8464.jpg

A few of the wholes i added 4 - 1/2” nuts farther back from stock location on each rail for additional crossmembers.
75552137eb75cd77fa775e0b0286b873.jpg

Then to prevent any future rust i added some rust reformer to the backside of both rails.
c3a47002bd5fe86a5608972038fb5600.jpg

Got the drivers side fully in and added a gusset to tie the mids into the fronts. Ill add quite a bit more in this area when the long arms get purchased.
272a2a8195e38244255a444e508ade87.jpg

Not great so dont look to close. I am way to impatient for frame welding. Ran through 4lbs of wire for the two fronts and this mid. I didnt have enough left to finish the passenger side so i got it fitted in and tacked in. Ill jump back on it tomorrow. Then on to the rear.

So finally got a chance to get back on this guy yesterday. A while back i picked up a set of mid stiffeners for cheap from sharkmark. They were pretty rusty as they had been sitting a while. I cleaned them up and added some extra wholes. Much drilling involved.
da3997604c15a7d495e0d739f44a8464.jpg

A few of the wholes i added 4 - 1/2” nuts farther back from stock location on each rail for additional crossmembers.
75552137eb75cd77fa775e0b0286b873.jpg

Then to prevent any future rust i added some rust reformer to the backside of both rails.
c3a47002bd5fe86a5608972038fb5600.jpg

Got the drivers side fully in and added a gusset to tie the mids into the fronts. Ill add quite a bit more in this area when the long arms get purchased.
272a2a8195e38244255a444e508ade87.jpg

Not great so dont look to close. I am way to impatient for frame welding. Ran through 4lbs of wire for the two fronts and this mid. I didnt have enough left to finish the passenger side so i got it fitted in and tacked in. Ill jump back on it tomorrow. Then on to the rear.

Looking really good man. I like how you added those nuts for future mounting potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx. Home projects have taken place of some work on this beast. Installing a new very large island right now in the kitchen. Then ill be getting back on this girl. Gonna strip the interior after the stiffeners are done. Ill do the cut and fold rear quarters and the rear fender clearance. Then 2x6 rockers. Looking at a cage purchase real soon. Acquiring funds at this time. Almost ready to pull the trigger.

Looks good Gordo. I've recently done the same with my son's XJ - mid stiffeners, 2x6 rockers, and front stiffeners. The welding of the mid stiffeners to the frame is by far the most frustrating and miserable welding project you can imagine.

Looks awesome dude

Well i finally finished the passenger side tip to butt. Welding to sheetmetal is demoralizing. Dont look to close. Its not pretty but its solid.
b2fd4ea79f6a9b20225f7063c570c4ec.jpg

4a1f8505f7218d3ba156392093286889.jpg

Just need to to the rears on the driver side still. Then ill be bouncing to one of my flip jeeps to learn how to do rockers. Haha. Then they will be going on this as mini boatsides.

I dig it

Looks good from here!
I'd like to see how your mini boatsides turn out.
I did mini boatsides with UHMW sheet right before SierraFest. Thought for sure they would get all banged up but ended up with not one scratch on 'em...obviously wasn't wheeling hard enough, haha.

Looks good from here!
I'd like to see how your mini boatsides turn out.
I did mini boatsides with UHMW sheet right before SierraFest. Thought for sure they would get all banged up but ended up with not one scratch on 'em...obviously wasn't wheeling hard enough, haha.

You need more smasho. Haha.

Do you know what amperage you’re welding with? I have some stiffners I am dreading welding on just due to the thin sheet metal body and all my practice is on much thicker stuff.

Im using a 180amp lincoln. .030 inner shield. Im getting better and better at it. I just tend to rush and not get things as clean as they should be. Also there are some really tight spots and i cant get a good angle with the nozzle so it just spits everywhere. It gets frustrating.

Im finishing up the rear driver today. For anyone wondering, it took me about 8 hours per side front to back.
db59e13352d98c457c49531ca015b1f7.jpg

Ok its official. The stiffeners are fully done.
2494fbf65c20734d887e804a93e79704.jpg

Fitment on this side was a bit off. Had to do quite a bit of reshaping to get it to fit flat.

I have some more work to do in the shackle box area as i have no lift relocators. But somehow misplaced them. I have to track them down. Then install the bumper mount reinforcement tie in units. That will all be done after the rockers/mini boatsides are done though. I have a flip jeep to build out. Then going to jump back on this.

Im using a 180amp lincoln. .030 inner shield. Im getting better and better at it. I just tend to rush and not get things as clean as they should be. Also there are some really tight spots and i cant get a good angle with the nozzle so it just spits everywhere. It gets frustrating.

Im finishing up the rear driver today. For anyone wondering, it took me about 8 hours per side front to back.
db59e13352d98c457c49531ca015b1f7.jpg

Those must have been some long days. 8 hours a side is what I thought it would take me so I’m going to play 10 each side. Is it mostly because of repositioning and cooking, or is there just that much welding?

Those must have been some long days. 8 hours a side is what I thought it would take me so I’m going to play 10 each side. Is it mostly because of repositioning and cooking, or is there just that much welding?

Its mostly the welding. Might not be as bad if your using bottle. But im using inner shield. It smokes alot. And it just gets to you. Usually need to take about three breaks per section. Then cleaning after. And grinding stuff smooth. Then paint. Then re assemble anything you had to take apart to access everything. I also added all the extra mounting points in the mid stiffeners. That took about 3 hours on its own.

Back