• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to check readings from check engine light

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry for the newbie question, but how do you check to see what is setting off the check engine light???? I've checked the obvious, fluids and whatnot, but I know there is a way to decifer which sensor it is picking up. Please dont flame me, just some good advice would be appreciated

98 Grizzly edition.

Brad

you turn the key 3 or 5 times almost on and then the light will blink in series of times and that is the code. then just call autozone and they will give you a close answer on what it is.

redrider said:
you turn the key 3 or 5 times almost on and then the light will blink in series of times and that is the code. then just call autozone and they will give you a close answer on what it is.

'98 will be obd II, that process won't work. you'll need to buy, or borrow, a scantool. it will spit out the code, then you've just got to troubleshoot that particular system. i believe i heard that several autoparts chain stores are offering that service for free...

Back