• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear end swap - anti lock brakes!

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
I've an '88 XJ auto with Dana 35 in the back. This rear end has factory positraction, called Trac-loc or some such. This rear end has no anti-lock brakes.

The '88 was rolled so I bought a '92. The '92 doesn't have positraction in the rear end but does have anti-lock brakes. I'd like to move the '88 posi to the '92. I figure I can swap the entire rear axles.

If I swap the rears I'll have to install the anti-lock brake sensors into the '88. I can drill simple holes and such.

Has anyone tried swapping the anti-lock brake sensors onto a rear end that didn't originally have them?

Any other issues I should know about before the swap?

Thanks!

I have a 92 that I removed the ABS from ........................ I dont think you will be able to do this for a couple of reasons...

A: Your 88 D35 should be NON c clip........the 92 is a c clip axle in the D35 .....the C clip axle has the abs tone rings on them. The abs system will not work unless you have the tone rings and sensors......... so in a way no you cant swap axles and keep the ABS system.

I would just keep the 92 axle and buy a limited slip or lunchbox locker and save yourself a big headache.

Or just dump the ABS and run another axle choice ...but this is more work.

If you need more info holla

chewy

Thanks Chewy!

Which is the better D35, the '88 or the '92? (Both have about the same miles on them. )

I've seen another post where the value of ABS is debated. Sounds like ABS isn't worth having...? If I swap the rears I'll loose the ABS sensors. How do I disable the complete ABS system?

Thanks!

Mike

Its the old Bendix system that is junk pre 91..... the one on the 92 is a different system and always worked very well for me. IMO unless your going to go to an upgraded axle front or rear....leave it alone. The MC on your 92 is not meant to be run w/o the ABS pump and a working ABS system.

I still have the ABS MC and it brakes worse than with the ABS installed. The reason I disabled and gutted the pump and sensors is because i moved up to a Dana 44 in the rear.
Soon I will remove the ABS booster and MC and move to a true non ABS system.

Food for thought ....the booster for that year is only used from 92-94 ABS brake systems....which means its rare and hard to find and $$ and NOTHING will mount up to it as far as MC's is concerned...i went throught the Raybestos book that had MC;s back 50 years...nothing will work w/ it.

Not to mention the MC is not available w/ the plastic brake fluid holder installed on it..... try to remove plastic that has been exposed to heat for 10+ years and re install on a rebuilt unit w/o cracking it...aint happening...then when that happpens you can only get a new one from jeep ....price $680! ouch thats just the MC.

So as I said I would leave the system alone and install a lunchbox locker or limited slip in the 92 axle that sits on the rig....there is nothing to gain except loss of tall$$$ trying to put in an old axle.....trust me when i say a trash lok is not worth the headache.....they work so so and usually dont work when ya need em anyhow. Not to mention a D35 doesnt hold up to lockers anyhow.

Id wait till you want to upgrade to a 44, 60 or even a cyrco 8.25 corp axle.

chewy

only difference between the 88 and 92 is that the 92 is a clip axle and **i think** the 88 is a none c clip. The non clip is **said** to be slightly stronger..... but i have seen both fail and they are weak axles period no matter clip or not.

Chewy

Well, I guess I'll keep the '92 rear in the '92 and go with not messing with the ABS. Thanks for the advice!

That $680 (sure you didn't add an extra 0 there...?) really gets my attention! My plastic tank is looking none-too-good right now. When it is time for replacement, what can be done besides paying? Can the entire vacuum power assist unit plus master cylinder be replaced with a later year? I have my '88 master cylinder and vac assy but the vac assy is inferior according to posts I've seen. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Mike

Im going to be swaping over to a 88 style vac booster and an E350 MC very soon..... I'll let everyone know how it goes. The 92 ABS system is a rare bird and seeing what works will be fun....the pedal assem, vac booster + rod, MC , pump, and prop valve where only used for 2-3 years max.

Ya If it takes a dump then go for broke and swap out the system. I just dont see the point to doing it unless you have to. My stock system in hindsight worked pretty well....like i said i only dumped it because of the 44 now in back.

Ya $680 is what I was told at a rural dealer ....i would hate to see what they want in the city!

Chewy

I've heard via other posts that the '88 style vac had only 1 diaphragm whereas the later vacs had 2. I know my '88 braked very poorly and that the '92 does much better. I saw a post where someone had converted the '88 vac to a later model. When I look at my '88 it is substantially thinner (although about the same diameter) as the '92. I suppose this lends a little support to the 2 diaphragm idea.

Mike

I need to resurect this thread!

I've purchased a '92 XJ w/ factory ABS brake system. The rear axle has been swapped to a '88 XJ Dana 44 w/o ABS. The ABS light stays lit (covered up w/ black tape) and the brakes SUCK!!!

I've looked into junk yards to swap in a WJ system, but that's when I ran into conflicting information due to the stock ABS. Please help recommend my best course of action. I got a great deal on this XJ, just need to fine tune/finish what the previous owner started.

I need to resurect this thread!

I've purchased a '92 XJ w/ factory ABS brake system. The rear axle has been swapped to a '88 XJ Dana 44 w/o ABS. The ABS light stays lit (covered up w/ black tape) and the brakes SUCK!!!

I've looked into junk yards to swap in a WJ system, but that's when I ran into conflicting information due to the stock ABS. Please help recommend my best course of action. I got a great deal on this XJ, just need to fine tune/finish what the previous owner started.

You have what I have now. I have a '92 XJ with ABS that I swapped in an '87 Dana 44 without ABS. I don't know what kind of ABS since it's now gone.

After the swap I simply unplugged both plugs to the ABS unit. I don't remember if the light came on or not. I drove the XJ for at least a year in this condition without any braking problems. I recently installed a second battery and had to remove the ABS unit to gain space for the new air filter required since the battery replaces the stock air box. I removed the ABS and added tubes to connect the brake lines that went to the ABS directly to my master brake cylinder. Again no problems.

If you have weak brakes then check the vacuum to the vacuum booster. Check that the booster doesn't have a leak in the diaphragm. There's a procedure to do this but I don't remember how it is done. One thing that's easy is to try the brakes with the vacuum hose disconnected (and plugged to keep air from entering the manifold). If you get similar brake performance with no vacuum then your booster isn't working. I swapped out my booster and master cylinder with rebuilts from Pep Boys. This didn't cost a fortune.

Bleed the brake lines. Inspect the surfaces on the brake drums and rotors and inspect the brake pads and shoes. Just do the classic brake system troubleshooting.

My system worked with the ABS unit in the system but inoperative. I think the problem in your system is more just a classic brake system problem of some sort and not related to the ABS. I guess you can prove this statement when you bleed the brakes since if the ABS is bolcking the brake fluid some how you'll not be able to blead much fluid thru.

Mike

Thanks for the reply. I bled the brakes and checked the pads, shoes, etc. Same mushy pedal as before. I noticed a small leak at the prop. valve from the M/C. After searching more threads and asking even more questions it seems my best route is to replace everything just be certain I don't miss a component. Today I purchased an entire set-up from a lowmileage (under 50k) '00 WJ at the local junk yard. I'll post the swap results tomorrow.

This thread was intended to answer the question of what to do w/ the ABS now that a non-abs rear has been swapped. Short answer from all that I've researched is ...GET RID OF IT!

That brings me to a new thread I started to document and answer some of my questions regarding the removal of ABS and replacing it w/ WJ non-ABS system: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=978998

Back