• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nikon coolpix camera

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
I am looking at getting a new camera, I was told already get a cannon or nikon, and something with optical zoom not digital zoom.

Theres a store around me that has the coolpix S550 on sale for 150, and I would like some input on this camera from people who have used it.

Does it take decent pictures? How long is the delay between taking pictures? Is the quality of the camera alright? Anyone had any problems with this camera?

Or what would be another alternative camera thats around $200 or $300.

-Alex

My experience with Nikon film cameras is good (Canon was better, but my old Pentax K-1000 is still my favourite...) but I haven't worked with their digitals.

However, I've got a Canon Powershot A550 that I picked up for a couple bills, and it's been a solid performer. Compact, light, takes a standard memory format (Secure Digital - no trouble with cards up to 2Gb,) AA batteries, 7.1MP, and 4x optical/6x digital (total 10x zoom.)

The reason you want more optical zoom than digital is simple - optical zoom is done with the lense, and you don't have the electronic interpretation of details. Digital zoom relies upon algorithms in the electronics to "fill in" details to make the detail happen - meaning it usually gets a bit pixellated and can be a bit wrong. Doesn't matter if you're not taking technical pix, or if detail at a very small level isn't important to you.

I do eventually want to get a DSLR body - something along the lines of the Pentax *ist series (why? Because I don't want to spend the $8K or so in lenses again to get good micro detail - I've already got them in K-mount for the K-1000, and the *ist series takes a K-mount lense. Besides, these are lenses I bought 20 years ago - meaning you can't get anything that well-made anymore for less than a king's ransom - if you can find it from the off!)

However, for general purpose work, the A550 has been a solid little beggar, and I can't complain. I do recommend Canon digitals, based on my own experience with them (and Pentax, Canon, or Olympus film cameras - same reason.)

I also have an A550 and others from the powershot line and they all take good pictures, but I do have one complaint for all, each of of their shutters (lens cover) are stuck so you've got to be careful open it manually each time you turn it on. Also if you have someone else take a picture with it almost all the pics they take are bad because they forgot to open the shutter

Well I have the A520 and it sucks, long time between pictures and the shudder thing pissed me off. Now it doesn't turn on past the cannon home screen so its officially busted.

-Alex

"Smile detection"?

WTF?

I bought a Coolpix S6 for the wife 2 years ago. When taking pictures with the flash, white, semi-transparent circles would appear all over the photos. You couldn't always see them on the preview screen (even though it was 3"), so you didn't even know to reshoot the photo (if you even would have the opportunity).

I returned it to the retailer for a replacement. Same problem with the new one. I called Nikon and they basically said, "Oh yeah, that's just a side effect of the proximity of the flash to the lense. All small cameras do that."
rolleyes.gif
Riiiiight.

I swear to god... their suggestion was to not use the built-in flash. Either take photos without the flash, or get an external flash.
ugh2.gif

To make a long story short, Nikon ended up buying the camera back from me, including tax and all my shipping costs to avoid a false advertising lawsuit. (How much are 6 months of lost memories in putative damages? HAHA)

We ended up buying a Canon SD750 as a replacement and LOVE it. We bought a second Canon SD series a few months ago. Neither get the little circles that Nikon claimed every small camera gets.

I know these are pretty cheap cameras I'm talking about, but Nikon's attitude alone would stop me from buying anything they produce.

Billy

Back