• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Programming an OBD2 ECU?

krakhedd

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I tried a search, and it just brought up nothing but crap. I need to know if it's possible to flash the ECU of my 2001, which I *BELIEVE* I've seen somewhere on here before as being possible, but I'm not sure. I have a friend who has friends in shop class at a local community college, and he tuned his Camaro's ECU in this way, with a dyno and everything, and said he could do it with my Jeep also, but I want to be sure.

Thank you, gentlemen.

The OBD II JTEC PCM is indeed reprogrammable so you're in luck. Another alternative is to piggyback a custom programmable chip such as the Unichip. Hesco have one featured on their site.

Thanks Dyno.

I may still go the piggyback route, but maybe not - just trying to get all my options....I certainly like the range of options a piggyback unit would provide, but think I'd rather have a custom-burnt chip to ensure maximum performance - even if it is only a few extra RWHP.

Dyno - do you have any more info on reprogramming? Hardware/software needed, etc... I've been looking for something much the same as what Superchips provides for Ford ECUs... One of my buddies has it on his ZX2...the idea of having complete control over (nearly) every aspect of my engine's tuning is highly tempting...

The Hypertech Power Programmer III part no. HYP-50012 reprograms the '96-'04 4.0 engine computers with performance parameters but it's intended for stock or near stock engines.
I believe Mopar Performance do a performance reflash and you might be able to get more details from Nick Ianuzzi at Multitronics in Scottsdale Arizona. His e-mail is [email protected]
The Unichip comes in two forms and both are programmable. The first is a plugn'play unit that piggybacks between the stock computer and wiring harness much like the JET PCM. The second is a wire-in unit that is spliced into the wiring harness so it's slightly cheaper.

When I talked to him about the performance re-flash, I believe he told me it's no longer available. I want to say he also advised the best (only?) way to easily reprogram the ECU is a piggyback unit like the A'Pexi Super AFC-II or the other one whose name escapes me....check Dyno's website, www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com (what a great site Dyno....I just the other day read the article you have linked for JP Magazine explaining why higher compression ratio = more efficient motor operation)

Dang, I was hoping someone had done something beyond the powertech... Are either of you (Dyno/krak) familiar with Superchips Tuning/SCT? Their higher end modules allows full control of all parameters...

I'd go with Dyno over me, I'm more a jack-of-all-trades type, whereas Dyno seems to be a scholar of all things Jeep (and, more generally, motors).

In all honesty, I will probably go with an A'Pexi Super AFC-II, just due to the fact I can build a computer into the XJ for whatever purposes, and then also be able to tweak my motor real-time through that same computer. At the very least, if I were to purchase a piggyback controller, I'd buy a laptop at the same time, or at least make sure I have one in my possession.

I think the S-AFC 2 also allows for installation of a knock sensor, and since the 242 block (as I've read here) still includes the boss for mounting of a knock sensor, it just kinda seems like fate points in the direction of installing one....

I'd get the Hypertech, but it only reprograms the ECU to whatever parameters it has pre-set from Hypertech. If it were able to monitor and custom-burn (read: input custom specifications/parameters), I'd have bought one a long time ago.

Back