• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tell me I am crazy.

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
Ive got a 44 rearend and one shaft is bent, and the other will be going to a buddy that needs it.

Am I crazy to think of cutting the tubes off, and converting it to front (HP) and welding on new tubes?

In the end, I'd have to get all new shafts, gears, locker, blah blah, but I would surf the boards and get it used/cheap. Prolly end up being just as cheap as cutting down a bronco 44?

Tell me, am I crazy? Talk me out of it, or into it. :D :cheers:

Yes, you're crazy.
I take it you have an XJ D44, correct? That is a standard low-pinion unit. If you were to flip it over in an effort to make it a high-pinion unit, the internal oiling provisions for the pinion bearings would be ineffective and they'd burn up. High pinion diffs are designed differently to get oil up to those bearings way up there.

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
Yes, you're crazy.
I take it you have an XJ D44, correct? That is a standard low-pinion unit. If you were to flip it over in an effort to make it a high-pinion unit, the internal oiling provisions for the pinion bearings would be ineffective and they'd burn up. High pinion diffs are designed differently to get oil up to those bearings way up there.

more importantly, it would spin backwards :dunce:

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
Yes, you're crazy.

Damn, you learn something new everyday!

Thanks.

:cheers:

mad maXJ said:
more importantly, it would spin backwards :dunce:

Not if I put front HP 44 gears in...

Just order a set of alloy shafts from Dutchman or Moser, at roughly $300 it's not a bad upgrade. Or, sell me the housing....... :)

Goatman said:
Just order a set of alloy shafts from Dutchman or Moser, at roughly $300 it's not a bad upgrade. Or, sell me the housing....... :)

That is a possiblity, how would that compare to a 9" rear? Cause I can get those for damn cheap (not sure on how much to narrow though)

You need the housing? Im open to offers.

hjeepxj said:
That is a possiblity, how would that compare to a 9" rear? Cause I can get those for damn cheap (not sure on how much to narrow though)

The 9" will have either 28 spline or 31 spline axles, you need to get the 31 spline (you probably already know that). The D44 is 30 spline, very close to the 31 spline 9". Alloy shafts in a D44 would be sronger than stock shafts in a 9". The pinion on a 9" is lower than on a D44, so the driveline and rear yoke will have a little more clearance on the D44.

If I already had an XJ D44, I'd spring for a pair of alloy shafts WAY before I'd bother switching to a 9".

I'm probably too far away from you to talk seriously about the housing....which you should keep anyway. :)

Goatman said:
The 9" will have either 28 spline or 31 spline axles, you need to get the 31 spline (you probably already know that). The D44 is 30 spline, very close to the 31 spline 9". Alloy shafts in a D44 would be sronger than stock shafts in a 9". The pinion on a 9" is lower than on a D44, so the driveline and rear yoke will have a little more clearance on the D44.

If I already had an XJ D44, I'd spring for a pair of alloy shafts WAY before I'd bother switching to a 9".

I'm probably too far away from you to talk seriously about the housing....which you should keep anyway. :)

hmm Im thinking of leaning that way (axle project)

But Ill be at the Colorado XJ meet, and god knows before we know it itll be here, and Ill probably still have it sitting here taking up space, lol. Couldn't hurt to keep in touch about it. :)

:cheers:

PS, thanks for the help!

Back