• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Taurus Fan Swap?

rockclimbingpyro

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard the idea of swaping the belt fan to an electric fan, specifically the 90-95 ford taurus fan. does this make a huge difference as far as cooling? what do you put inplace of the pulley where the belt fan was? how difficult is it to do this swap. has anyone done this and noticed good or bad things from the swap? anyone have any suggestions? I'm running a 96 xj with all stock cooling, hopefully soon to be upgraded but i'm still looking into that as well.

I bought the 2 speed taurus fan thinking I would just drop it in with only a little fabbing... wrong! It is too wide, too tall, and too thick for my heep. The fan is still sitting on my shelf. A lot more work than I wanted to get into.
I *think* you would need to move the radiator to get the fan in...
I hear all the stories of a handfull of people who put them intheir XJ, but I would like to see one Installed. Has anyone ever seen one with their own eyes?

Jeremy

yea restarch345, i did a ton of searches with different parameters and just as you have proven with these links, not much info came from them. no one has said if the mod was worth it or hardly any detail at all other than they heard of someone doing it and were going to try it as well...

A friend of mine used a Taurus fan on his XJ. He cut the stock fan pully off and it fit fine. Performance seemed to be good as it pulled the temp down very quick. He has to build a shroud like the stock fan has below the radiator and some finish work but it seems to work well. I looked through some pics but none really show anything well other than the fact that its in there.

Does anyone have actual pics of one of these in an XJ. When I hold that fan up next to my heep... I just can't see it going in without removing pulleys, or moving the rad.
Would having a 3row rad make a diff?

I installed a Twin Electric Fan set up in my 96 XJ. Using a OEM fan from a XJ.
It works good and cools real well.

Fan lay out befor install.
50DSCN1459-med.jpg

New tab location to hold stock electric fan were old shroud would be mounted. Installed new rad at the same time.
50DSCN1463-med.jpg

Cut off old fan bolts.
50DSCN1471-med.jpg

Clearence for fan belts and fan.
50DSCN1474-med.jpg

I put a relay and fuse in the stock power dis box under the hood. when the engin is turned on the fan is on. And the orginal elect fan still works the way it was set up. And each fan has it's owne fuse. that way if one fails the outher will still work.

50DSCN1532-med.jpg

the dual fan idea sounds better than the single taurus fan - if 1 goes, you still have the other one. With the taurus fan - if it goes when you are a million miles from anywhere, you are basically screwed.....

I have the taurus fan on the shelf ready to go in....might rethink this....

There's no comparison from the dual fan pic shown to the ford taurus 2 speed fan. That fan set up shown is lucky to pull 3800 cfm, very lucky, taurus is 4500 on high, no comparison.

I tried to do this today but couldnt get the damn thing to fit, it was to wide kept hitting all the pullys. I used a fan out of a 96-97 taurus instead, was able to keep the stock aux fan that way

Andrew

So wait, these Ford Taurus fan swaps replace the stock mechanical and electric fans? I don't know if I like the idea of only having one fan.

Is there any other fan that we could just replace the stock mechanical one and keep the stock electric one? My last XJ was set up like this when I bought it, but I don't know what the replacement fan was out of and the blades we trashed in the accident.

The only electric fan that I found that didnt overheat my truck (and they turned on at 180ish) (tried the Black Tragic and the taurus fan, no luck) is the Mark VIII fan. It flows somewhere in the hood of 6500cfm or some other insane number. It sounds like a turbine spinning up (like a prop plane under the hood). Ladies and gentlemen, we have lift off. I'm amazed my hood is still attached. Way too much noise for me. So I'm back to the old belt driven clydesdale. ;)

The black tragic caused my temps to reach 250 in traffic and the taurus let it get to 230ish (autometer gauge).

Hey TugBoat what are your average temps and what is the weather outside when you acheive these temps. I have always been a fan of E-fans and ALL my rigs have had them up till now. I own 2 XJ's, 1 for rocks and 1 for daily driver and would REALLY like to know the temps with this setup.

Thanks

BlackJax said:
The only electric fan that I found that didnt overheat my truck (and they turned on at 180ish) (tried the Black Tragic and the taurus fan, no luck) is the Mark VIII fan. It flows somewhere in the hood of 6500cfm or some other insane number. It sounds like a turbine spinning up (like a prop plane under the hood). Ladies and gentlemen, we have lift off. I'm amazed my hood is still attached. Way too much noise for me. So I'm back to the old belt driven clydesdale. ;)

The black tragic caused my temps to reach 250 in traffic and the taurus let it get to 230ish (autometer gauge).

The Ford Taurus ( must be 90-95 ) and the Lincoln Mark VIII is the same fan ( not sure if the shroud in different? ) and is 4500 CFM on high and 2500 on low. I would not run it on its own even though some do but like the safety back up the stock electric fan as well. See my write up on how to run both AND run a large auto cooler this is not in front of the radiator causing airflow restriction and extra heat.

www.go.jeep-xj.info

TaurusFan31.jpg

TaurusFan35.jpg

The stock fan then just drops into next to this Taurus Fan. On the LHD it will be on the other side.

Last edited:
Back