• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another AW4 bites the dust!

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a call from Stewie. Sounds like his tranny is about to give up the ghost.

Was there more than one AW4 on its way to Moab? Sounds like he could use one.

Not that I am aware of.

I think Cal has access to one that he could bring.
I'd check with him.

ok, I am using the wi fi at McDs. I am currently at the junction of US-160 and US 163. I am going to try to continue on to Moab.

Second gear is worthless. Third is on its way out as well. The trans starts to studder on hill climbes and sometimes goes out completly letting the engine rev up high with no power until I let off the gas and then back on. Its worst when the engine and trans are hot.

I am assuming that it is the clutch packs. I am wondering if they are a field replaceable item. Also, can the 21 spine shaft be swapped to my 23 spine shaft to make an older trans work? I know searching would yeld results, but I dont have very much battery left on my laptop.

If anyone could help me out, that would be GREAT! I will be staying in Slickrock in the back in RV spot behind cabin 2. Look for the oldass coleman popup tent trailer and the white XJ with Arizona Veteran plates and "Wranglers are for Cheerleaders" on the back window.

Hopefully this is all that will go wrong. My serp belt took a crap 38 miles north of Phoenix. I was able to swap to my trail spare and refill with a gallon of premixed coolant. That was about 230pm. I had been dealing with an air bubble in the cooling system until about an hour ago.

On a side note, the AZ DPS (Highway Patrol) officer that stopped to do a status check on me was quite surprised to see a young guy driving a vehicle with vet plates, experiencing a breakdown and having the supplies to get back on the road. He said not many people are prepared.

Hopefully I can make it to Moab before dawn. If not, something else went wrong. I will update this page upon arrival to slickrock. Just so someone(s) knows my plans

THANKS
James
"stewie"

Did you by chance check the oil level of the tranny? What color was it?

Does it smell burnt?

From the symtoms you describe it sounds toast to me.

We'll be leaving Flagstaff tomorrow around noon if everything goes right. I'll keep a look out for you Stewie. If nothing else we can get you on the trailer and into Moab. You should still have my #.

I've got a '98 AW4 I can bring. I'll be loading up this morning.

Give a call if anyone knows this will work for him. I'll probably bring it anyway just in case.

Might go ahead and load up the 21 spline 231 I have too.....

720-879-1399

UPDATE!!!!:

STUCK in Blanding. Approximatly 76.5 miles south of Moab on the 161. This morning at about O-Dark 30 the serp belt blew again. I got towed back to the NAPA store in blanding located just east of main or center or main street and 100 South- 54 East 100 South. I bought a new belt and thought I could limp to Moab. WRONG!

I installed the new belt (only one they had until tomorrow morning) and started up the jeep to hook back up to my tent trailer. Upon startup I was greeted with the horrable screaching belt sound. I immidiatly shut it off to investigate but the damage was done. The belt is shredded. It turns out that the pully for the mechanical fan is cracked and warped bad. I have the ford taurus fan in place of the mech fan, but retained the pully so that I could have the same belt as everyone else (trail spare compatablility). all the button head bolts that were in it are sheared off.

I am sitting infront of the NAPA awquardly close to the pile of used batteries at the only power plug I could locate and I am charging my cell phone and comp. I am able to recieve a weak slow wi fi signal for the comp and a good roaming cell signal. I am going to kill some time before the restaurants open.

My cell # is 602-740-2059. I have roaming included in my cell plan so dont hesitate to call if your able to help out.

I am armed, and I am about to unload all 60 rounds I have on me into the jeep to take care of her like an injured horse.

A big THANK YOU to all who have offered to help so far!!!

James "going nuts being broke down so close to Moab that I can smell it" stewie

Did you by chance check the oil level of the tranny? What color was it? Brown, DARK red

Does it smell burnt? yep, and really bad smelling when climbing hills. I dont know if I will ever get the stinch of burnt trans fluid out of the jeep interior or me and my clothes.

From the symtoms you describe it sounds toast to me. I think so.

I just got off the phone with Yellaheep and he is gonna see if he has the pully I need. I also just got off the phone with Clint and if I am not mobile before he reaches Blanding by the time he passes through (approx 4pm), then he will stop by and we will throw my jeep on his trailer.

Thank you all who have, are and will help!

I have the fan, pulley and bracket with the spindle and good bolts.
Will be there tomorrow afternoon.
(Just missed Ryan or it would be there today)

Damn Stewie. Hope everything works out. If it doesn't....get drunk. That's what I always do.

so do i need to bring the trans? anyone else need parts ............

IllXJ (jim) says he should be able to get his welded at Moab 4x4outpost tommorrow and shouldn't need it...stewie on the other hand, I have no clue, nor do i know what his status is...

mac 'wifi'n the campfire in front of cabin 6' gyvr

Back