• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hosed

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I tore it apart this morning. The only thing salvageable is the housing and brakes. "Missing" 3 teeth off the pinion, 1 off the ring, the true trac is obviously busted, and both shafts twisted at the splines. I might be able to rebuild the TT. I will need to disassemble it and take a look at the gears. But there is no external damage to the case. I may be able to just replace the axle spacer and it'll be good to go. The bolt that worked it's way out was an installed piece (not done by a shop of course). So Eaton will not warranty the unit. Going to try and find a cheap or free 8.25 to throw back there until I can get everything back together. The gearing will suck, but I did it for about a year. So I can live with it.

P7290007.jpg

P7290006.jpg

P7290005.jpg

P7290002.jpg

P7290003.jpg

P7290004.jpg

P7290008.jpg

Frank Z said:
WOW!! What happened?

That small center bolt backed out and that big chunk which they call the axle spacer was set free to roam around the pumpkin. Rearend locked up doing 70 mph down Highway 50 about 5 miles outside of Montrose. I did a 180 off the road into some people's driveway, missing the ditch by about a foot. My rig sat on a trailer in camp all week, then Troy towed it back home for me.

Currently looking for a free stock rearend to get me back on the road, the XJ is my only vehicle.

Man, I still can't believe that after that lock up and skid, the damn thing was able to drive around like nothing happened. Barely a hum outta the rear diff.

Coulda been so much worse....... :wow:

YELLAHEEP said:
Man, I still can't believe that after that lock up and skid, the damn thing was able to drive around like nothing happened. Barely a hum outta the rear diff.

Coulda been so much worse....... :wow:

I know right. Even though it doesn't look like it in the pic, I literally slid right by that 4 foot deep ditch. The pic does not do justice to the depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn that is scary! Glad you are OK?

I have a complete 8.25 rearend. I would want the axles shafts back someday but you can use it as long as you want. Not sure how we'd get it up there.

Glen

DaJudge said:
Damn that is scary! Glad you are OK?

I have a complete 8.25 rearend. I would want the axles shafts back someday but you can use it as long as you want. Not sure how we'd get it up there.

Glen

Forgot...It has no brakes, just backing plates.

Have an 8.25 with ARB and 4.56's. Not free though and in WI. Sorry! The gaurdian angels were working OT that week!

Back