• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire battle

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
im in a pickle in to which tire to buy, i want the truxus mt 31x10.5 or the bfg at 33x10.5..which tire would better suit me(i also have stock gearing 3.55's), i do lots of desert terrain and and rocky type stuff... any input on either of these tire would b nice! thanx!

Do you drive it on the street much? The BFG AT will be the far superior street tire.

trxus has very good road manners as well though. I drive 30+ miles per day on my 33" trxus and I've never wished to have a less agressive tire.

ya i drive on the street a great deal! how much mileage should i expect from the truxus?!

ah never mind ddeadserious beat me to the punch:) thanks for the info...

ok not too bad i just dont want to b buying tire all the time...

Take a look at the Firestone Destination m/t. I'm giving them serious consideration.

I have these tires, they are 235 75 15. I have had them for almost one year now. I have almost 17,000 miles on them. I can place my finger between the lugs, and still have tread above my finger. I rotate EVERY oil change, they are at 42 psi. I drive 325 miles a week on the road to work. Plus I play in the woods, trails, or wash outs every chance I can. I have diven these tires through rain, no problems, even on curvy roads doing 5 over the limit. In the mud they are very impressive, My stock XJ went through ruts/mud to the lower doors, fairly easy. These things clean quickly, and easily. I have been through some swampy, muddy, wet areas. North Florida salt marshes get pretty crappy after a good rain. They work very well in wet clay, and sand. I am going to keep running these tires, they suit my driving, and climate. Scott.

Last edited:
Toyo AT 12.5 X 33" if you want a great tire. BFG AT's will pick up rocks and throught them like a sling shot chipping paint and cracking windshields. Firestone MT's have great reviews but they are a mud terrain and not so great in sand like conditions like the dessert. The more rubber down on rocks and sand the better traction you will recieve. By the way did you look at the gearing response I gave you ?

id go with the bfg at. i think that it does very well in the desert terrain and it is a long lastin very aggresive tire. i love mine. just my 2cents

def the BFG im running them on my 90 XJ and yeah there alittle loud on the road but not that bad, and off-road i must say i love them never let me down!!
-Keep Jeepin

i'm on my second set of BFG AT's, 33x12.5, and i lovem... if you do any amount of road driving then they are def. the way to go. they last for forever if rotated properly, and awesome off road as well... yeah they do have a tenency of picking up and throwing rocks, but they come out at slow speed, and i have never seen any of my rocks get thrown very far. they are also really good on the beach or in sand if you are going to get into that.... bfg, hands down all around good tire

Check out tirerack.com, they've got General Grabber AT2s for like $90, I was going to get them but ended up with some Mud Kings, other tires I personally like are Wildcat EXTs, a lot of guys have em around here, they are deep tires and mke a hell of a lot of noise on the road but they hold up and get the job done. Also check out the Kumho M/Ts on Tirerack, they are reletivly cheap.
If your driving on the road alot I'd go with ATs unless you find some really cheap MTs, or find a cheap set of MTs for offroad and get a nice set of ATs for onroad driving, EX: General AT2s

I hate BFG AT's they have never done anything for me. They are to stiff that is why they last so long and the General Grabbers suck total ass I had a pair of those they through chunks off the nobbies and didnt last for long. I am going to stop now because I have had a lot to drink goodnight.:moon:

ddeadserious said:
From what I've, with proper rotation, trxus have lasted up to 30,000-40,000 miles, but I doubt I'll get that much.

I had around 45K on my 31's when I sold them. Keep them balanced & do a proper rotation. I did a 5 tire rotation every 6K. JIM.

Back