• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 xj sport hesitation, pinging

Samv56f

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
I’m new to the forum although I’ve been reading for years. I recently picked up a new to me 94 xj 152k and auto trans. It has stock size tires in it as well New parts are as follows.
O2 sensor
Map sensor
Distributor
Cap, rotor, plugs, wires
Cylinder head brand new
New vacuum lines
Fuel filter
My problem is that upon acceleration the Jeep stumbles hard from 1200-2000 rpm. Once past this it runs great. Upon drive home(less than 5 miles) I noticed also with the hesitation it seems to have to power and is pinging pretty badly. Please give me your thoughts, thanks -Sam

Is your throttle kick down cable adjusted?
No such thing on a XJ.

OP, look/test for vacumm leaks and I would also suggest a compression test for starters to rule out major issues.

No such thing on a XJ.

OP, look/test for vacumm leaks and I would also suggest a compression test for starters to rule out major issues.

Hang on there a sec. I believe he was talking about the throttle valve cable, which should be not only present but adjustable just the one on my '92.

You are correct, but the AW4 doesn't receive any performance data from the engine. Basically it's a stand-alone trans with no concerns as to how the power plant is functioning.

Hang on there a sec. I believe he was talking about the throttle valve cable, which should be not only present but adjustable just the one on my '92.

* throttle valve cable, thank you. While unlikely as whats going on, it can cause some odd characteristics for driving power. The pinging is a bit odd no? Bad gas?,but it goes at higher rpm fine.... vacuum or O2 ?....
Or

RCPphx makes a good point, a compression test won't hurt and it's free to get the tool.

What brand MAP was used?

You've had some big things moving on and off your engine, the culprit is likely related.

Why was the head replaced?

The head and all others were replaced due to the problem I currently am having. I plan on testing fuel pressure and adding high test this week. As for the map I am unsure of brand, I suppose a genuine mopar would be best. I also plan on doing a diagnostic test on most all sensors that I can. I appreciate all the responses. You guys are great

Update: after pulling the coolant sensor from the thermostat housing it runs much better. But still misses a bit. Going to check plugs and see what they say

Back