• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee fan clutch on Renix?

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on getting better cooling at low rpms. I have seen posts about using a GC fan clutch upgrade but some peeps say there is a clearance issue with the Renix. Anybody have some personal knowledge about this? or a different/better fan clutch.

I am running a 4.7L stroker so it generates quite a bit of heat, especially at low rpms.

I am running a second stock electric fan. I am also thinking about changing to the 97+ electric fan for the second AUX fan. I am told that the fan with the 97+ moves more air. With the 97+, there are two designs of fan blades that I have found. One is big and wide, and the other appears more skinny but shaped more like a scimitar. Anybody have real info on the difference in CFMs?

I am running a 3 row radiator and a transmission cooler as well. I pull an offroad teardrop and at 9,000+ feet and 10% or greater grades, it just doesn't stay as cool as I would like.

Tom, it's been so long ago, I'm not sure, but I think I have a GC fan clutch on mine with no issues. Also, I have the newer efan, can't say it makes any difference. The biggest difference I've ever seen in cooling was the Hesco water pump.

I can't speak for the renix or zj fan iirc,forever ago replaced3, but 3 row copper vs plastic tank radiators have different cooling traits. I used to have csf, dang ol jeep just likes stock parts lol.
I have read some with 3 row rads have used a Ford two speed fan to replace the mechanical, maybe helpful if your considering other options to.

Good luck getting your behemoth cooled

I have been running a 3 row CSF for 15 years. Metal tanks.

I am doing a warranty swap with Autozone on the fan clutch. I am also replacing the fan shroud that has a missing few inches at the bottom so I could get it in place without pulling everything. I also scored a 97+ electric aux fan and will install everything when it shows up, hopefully Friday.

I am working in Park City Utah at 7300 feet and pull a long 6% grade up several thousand feet going to and from work everyday. It is a strain on the cooling, and when I add pulling the loaded teardrop, it gets worse. I have never boiled over, but is has been close.

Hammer the clutch so it’s locked.

This was my thought for the interim. I also think the Taurus fan wouldn't be a bad idea for the e-fan side of things. you can set it so it runs the different speeds automatically or on a switch (has hi/lo) May be run low all the time and then high on manual switch to beat the heat?

Back