• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door or 4 door

it is easier to trim the body on a 2 door for bigger tires (in the rear) but.... 2 door has a weaker hinge then 4 door (or actually bigger door on same size hinge)....

Most people like 2 doors for their wheeling rigs :)

Kejtar

If you are about 5' tall and drive with the seat all the way up to the stearing wheel, then do the 4 door, but if you sit back and are tall, then get the 2 door. Nothing like hitting your head on the door trim on the 4 door getting in and out or out wheeling and bouncing around. I have one of each, and the 2 door is getting worked on and it hasn't been driven in a while, boy do I miss it. But the driver side door is having issues with the upper hing with a couple of cracks. If you have kids, they will use the arm rest to climb in the back seat of the 4 door, and that does not do it any good.

well i guess i'm just a poser then. 4 doors and 4" lift, now working on making all 4 wheels spin together.

2 door would be a better wheeler because you don't have to worry about the rear door like you do the the 4 door. I sold my 89' 2 door and now have a 95' 4 door. I like the 4 door for hauling passengers and gear. The 2 doors are pretty hard to find especially when you get a new model, like a 91' or newer. The 2 doors were alot more common in the early xj (84-90').

I give a vote for the 4 door. Easy for gear, and people/pets. Because if its a 2 or 4 door, it really is pets in the back seat, or my mother in-law. But that is another story. The only down side is the fender trimming. Juice

2 or four

id go four door all the way cause if you were to get some serious body damage behind the doors in a 2 door, your gonna end up paying more to get it fixed because its a solid peice of the body, while in the 4 door, if you get body damage behind the front doors, all you have to do is either find a new door, or take that door in to get it fixed, either way, your saving yourself a lot of money. unless the damage is all the way on the back quarter pannels. as for getting in and out, the 4 door is a bit nicer on the knees cause for those who get the pleasure of being crammed in the back seat, can have there own entrance and exit so in my opinion, id say, go with the 4 door.

tim

I've got a 2-door because I prefer the looks, but I've had problems witht the hinges also. Get whichever you like better. I'm considering getting another XJ just as a daily driver and if I do it'll be a 4-door because of the convenience of getting in and out of the back (I have kids).

opinions are like buttholes, everybodies got one. some say the four doors are more rigid, and you dont have trouble with the two door hinges. get what you like to look at.

4 doors are more convienient. There are also more of them on the street so you'll probably have better luck finding a good 4 door for a good price than a 2 door.

I bought a 4 door because I was using my Cherokee as a service vehicle. It was much easier to access parts and tools in the cargo area with a 4 door.

RR3

I prefer the looks of a 4 door.
The 4 door is more convienient for passengers/kids and equipment storage.
The 2 door is better for wheel well hacking.
It really all comes down to personal preference because nobody can honestly say a 2 or a 4 door out-wheels the other.:D

Food for thought!

My 2 door out wheels my 4 door.......but it is better equiped, lifted locker

Take into consideration, are you single, married with kids? Will you be wheeling (or daily driving) with passangers (2 or more) more often then not? Will you need to be climbing in and out of the back seat a lot? I know that you stated that you are 15 and learning the machanics of vehicles, will you be taking it to school, giving friends rides?

It is easier to hack the fenders on the 2 door, and it is easier to put people (mom-in-law) in the back with the 4 door.

I think I'll go with the 2 door. Here are my reasons.

-I like the look better.
-I'm only 15, so I hopefully don't have to worry about kids.
-I don't care if my friends have to cram into the back.
-Can hack the rear fenders a bit more.

I also have another question. Wouldn't it be easier to put in a cage on a two door because you don't have to worry about getting in the way of 2 more doors?

I am not going to be any of these things soon, but I want to start on the right track.

Thanks for the replies.

vbjornsson said:

-I'm only 15, so I hopefully don't have to worry about kids.
-I don't care if my friends have to cram into the back.

:D

I have a 6 & 8 year old, and don't care if they have to cram in the back either. The seat does move forward to make the journey easier though.

Thinking of doing a roll cage with 5 point for both front seats and putting in buckets (after market) that does not move for the driver, have a friend who likes to drive everyones car when they get a new one, she wont be moving the seat up to drive mine once it is finished, and either putting buckets in back or no seat at all. Wife can tote kids around (I'm an ass, but most know what kids do to the inside of cars) They have pulled the skin off the door panles in back of wifes truck, and I'm not spending time and dough on this so the kids can reck it........That's my job :laugh:

another plus of 2-doors.

you can get in and out of ALL the seats without ending up with what's stuck to the body being on your butt.

can't say THAT about the 4-door.

Back