• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving VS Towing

Driving or towing

• towing

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • driving

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • other? explain

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
1100 miles for me. one way. driving jeep is out of the question.

what are good companies to check for shipping quotes? really like the idea of shipping then flying out. looks like I'd spend about $500 in fuel getting there and back. and probably couldn't walk after being in the truck for 2 days straight.

Just thinking, I have rented trailers from Hertz on a couple of occasions. They hold pretty heavy vehicles including a Mercedes 280 SEL and a full size passenger van. They will certainly take an XJ. The one issue is Hertz won't allow pickup trucks as tow vehicles unless you have a heavy-duty one like a duelly.

Driving from San Diego.
Drove in 2008, 2011 and 2013, going the southern route this time, through Monument Valley.

Anyone else from the Albuquerque area going? Maybe figuring we could work a carpool or something

I’ll be passing through there on my way from Houston

I''ve been looking at shipping the giveaway trailer from Indiana to Los Angeles and all the shippers I have quotes from are in the $1.00 per mile range.

I used to work for a car hauler and you could probably get 6 or 7 XJs on a truck. Best case would be if someone has a personal relationship with an independent owner/operator to cut a deal.

The other issue I've found while researching shipping is that most shippers require the vehicle to be empty, so if you want to bring tools, spare parts, tent, sleeping bag, etc, it won't be able to be shipped in your vehicle.

What I haven't looked at is getting a couple of Jeeps in a 40" shipping container with gear and shipping it over as freight.

Not saying this is all gospel, but things to consider if you are looking at that route.

I'm expecting about $850 in fuel costs to tow mine from TN to UT and back, and another $350 in trailer rental if I can't borrow one, so that is certainly going to be less costly than shipping it.

Last edited:
Watch your weights if going in on a car hauler. Some friends shipped their TJs out to run the Rubicon a few years ago. There was room for all their Jeeps on the trailer but they were overweight so they had to do some adjusting.

was thinking about flat towing out there. after buying the flat tow bar i realize there is no way to bolt it up to the jeep. so i either modify the bumper or buy a trailer

was thinking about flat towing out there. after buying the flat tow bar i realize there is no way to bolt it up to the jeep. so i either modify the bumper or buy a trailer

I personally wouldn't want all that dead weight behind my truck going through Colorado. Those mountains are no joke. I've only towed through there with a trailer with brakes. Maybe someone who has flat towed through there can chime in.

A friend and I are just driving, from San Diego, in her Amigo (it has <100K mi, my XJ has 255K). We may overnight in Mesquite, or may must take turns driving and power thru.

I wish I had a tow rig, but I don't. So I'll be driving with a stopover in Las Vegas along the way. That'll make for a short first leg and a much longer second leg, but I'll be able to get a room comped and may even get lucky at the craps tables. It could happen!

I talked a buddy into joining me. I also talked him into driving his Dodge 2500 and towing a trailer. So it looks as if I'll be towing after all.

I wonder what it's going to be like going through WY and CO during that time? It snowed in MT yesterday.

Usually theres snow at the top of the passes in Colorado on I70.

Not a lot.

Well in 2008 there were crashes coming out of the Eisenhower tunnel.

mac ‘I drove with care’ gyvr

I have done all of the above options but my favorite is using a tow dolly, not a trailer. It really cuts down on the weight and wind resistance, while handling a ton better.

Back