• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Local sources for AGM batteries?

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hi guys!

The ol' Optima died. I'm not brand loyal, especially for the prices I see.

What other brands are available on a cash and carry basis?

Car Quest lists one battery in a group size 34/78. What group sizes work in the XJ?

TIA

There is Deka and Odyssey batteries. Both of these are very good batteries, Optima's have been going downhill (my opinion) over the last few years. Hensley battery sells Deka brand.

I ran an Exide Orbital for a few years with good results. In the JK I have a Checker brand AGM that is working well thus far. It was 145$ and is rated more like a yellow top than a red top optima. That's a good thing if you plan on running a lot of lights and a winch.

Optima Batteries are "Hecho en Mexico". I suppose it is just a coincidence that the quality dropped at the same time manufacturing was moved to a cheaper labour force...

I like my Deka. It even ran all the way flat (was sick so the jeep was not started for over a month...) and it came back to life very easily. Unlike an Optima which can be cooked so easily.

Hensley Batteries were the source.

I've run the exide orbital and it was fine -- currently I have one of the oddity reliable Optimas, seem to be about 1 out of 10 since production moved from Aurora to the south... I had to exchange this one 4 times under their 3 year warranty before I got one with live cells all around that holds a charge. sucked, makes me think of Tommy Boy.

my first optima went 8 years and 5 vehicles. the yellow top went 12 months and 2weeks out of warranty and it was dead. i ll never buy any of them again.FYI the first was called a Gates Battery before the sale and name change way back in 1980-something. that line went from great to junk.

I have had 3 crap red tops, I switched over to an orbital (green label) and it lasted 8 months before being warrantee replaced, Than 8 more months and that one died..

My buddy has had great luck with 4 different Blue top Optima's, so when I warrantee replaced the second orbital, I paid the $30 difference and swapped to a blue top.. So far it's been a year and I'm very happy (and so is my buddy.. Still!)

IMO a redtop is no better than a wal-mart battery.. But I love the reliability of the blue top.. My jeep sits a lot And so does my buddies Could be a week, could be 6 weeks.. They never need a jump!

my first optima went 8 years and 5 vehicles. the yellow top went 12 months and 2weeks out of warranty and it was dead. i ll never buy any of them again.FYI the first was called a Gates Battery before the sale and name change way back in 1980-something. that line went from great to junk.
Once upon a time, in the last century, in Aurora Colorado, a grumpy ol' fooker used to turn wrenches in his driveway for some side money. By word of mouth, some other poor fooker, who happened to work in the tender room at Optima Batteries, made a deal with the grumpy ol' fooker. The poor tender was so enamored with the value and quality of workmanship offered, that he tossed in a couple batteries as a tip.

Both batteries had been through a few vehicles. Both batteries were killed by one Jeep Cherokee. I'll be looking in to that...

Once upon a time, in the last century, in Aurora Colorado, a grumpy ol' fooker used to turn wrenches in his driveway for some side money. By word of mouth, some other poor fooker, who happened to work in the tender room at Optima Batteries, made a deal with the grumpy ol' fooker. The poor tender was so enamored with the value and quality of workmanship offered, that he tossed in a couple batteries as a tip.

Both batteries had been through a few vehicles. Both batteries were killed by one Jeep Cherokee. I'll be looking in to that...
ya know i still owes ya.
i will make my end right :)
hows things?

Hensley Battery & Electrics got my hard earned money today!

The Deka Intimidator was around $150. They had these sexy looking overstock/closeouts for $120. Since I had a core, it cost $129.09 to get out the door.

053.jpg

This should help the wheels go-round! :)

054a.jpg

ya know i still owes ya.
i will make my end right :)
hows things?
Every day I wake up with something to bitch about; I'm a lucky guy! ;)

Otherwise, I've been prety busy.

Are you planning on the Toys for Tots this year?

Good-bye, my old pal...

002-1.jpg

Too lazy to re-program the radio. :D

003.jpg

Hypoid; said:
They had these sexy looking overstock/closeouts for $120. Since I had a core, it cost $129.09 to get out the door.

Decent price, but if those are not in stock anymore after they sellout, what's your game plan if it goes bad and needs replaced?:attom:

I walk back into Hensley, with the battery and the reciept.

When I first called, I asked about the Intimidator, which is the house brand. If the closeouts were gone, I would have paid another $30 to walk out with the house brand.

Awesome, just checking if that crossed your mind

These batteries aren't cheap, I'd hate to buy a lemon and be screwed

I love and run the Green top interstate Megatron II in all both jeeps and the Toyota. they last forever great CCA the dogs head has bumped the head light on a few times wake up the next morning turns over just fine. Great start in cold weather. If you have an interstate warehouse call or stop buy they sell to the public. the place I work at they always buy from them so they will also deliver and take check and credit card in person and will haul off your old battery if it's ready to go when they get there. Also ask for Blems they will knock off a few extra bucks if they have them.

Almost 5 years old, and I'm starting to notice a problem...:(

Back