• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 diff cover

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can get an 8.25 diff cover that has a threaded plug. I hate the rubber plug because every time after I go through any decent amount of water, I have to drain and refill it (I have raised vents, so I know that's not it). I've seen a few online, but they're about $150 and I'd prefer a basic cover. Thanks.

Unless it's weeping oil all around the plug to verify the plug is actually leaking, I don't see how water can be getting in around it.

Are you sure water isn't maybe coming in around the axle seals? Just a thought...

Ivan

Why not just use a nut and have it welded on to the cover. Use a Hex head stud and some teflon tape to seal it. That or use a bolt with a O ring at the base of the head.

Crane makes a nice cover, bullet proof too!

Ivan said:
Unless it's weeping oil all around the plug to verify the plug is actually leaking, I don't see how water can be getting in around it.

Are you sure water isn't maybe coming in around the axle seals? Just a thought...

Ivan
because the oil level is not over the plug it only splashes up there and not leak out, water could be over it letting it leak in.

You know, I hadn't thought of the axle seals. I'll check that next. And I have seen the Crane covers, but they're kind of expensive to me just for a diff cover. I only occasionally see rocks here, and I have yet to really whack the rear pig on anything (knock on wood). I'm mainly just concerned with the water getting in.

Another often missed area on the Corp 8.25 for water to leak in; is under the brake line distribution block which is bolted to the drivers side axle tube using the hollow vent line bolt.
When I removed the vent line bolt to install a longer brake line I cleaned the axle tube mating surface between the brake line distribution block and the axle tube then added a dab of RTV before reassembling.
No possibility of water leaking in when going thru streams.

Charles

I also had problems with water before I re-routed the vent tube. Buy about 12' of tubing and a small in-line fuel filter from the parts store. Remove the old tube and install the new tube routing the tube along the frame along side the fuel lines to the firewall near the brake power booster. Trim off any excess tubing and install the fuel filter in the end of the tube.

Back