• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD to 4WD Conversion

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
Well I sold my 97 with the Blown tranny for $2500. I'm driving down to LA tomorrow to buy a 99 xj for $1800. Only bummer is that it's 2WD :( I have a front end off my old 97 4x4. So im wondering if I need to replace the tranny, or is there a way to adapt the maunal AX-15 to output to a T-case? Im thinking I would just need the 23 spline output shaft, tranny case? and t-case. Let me know whatcha think! thanks!

-Nick

i did a 4wd conversion on a 99 4.0, aw4, np231.
all i used from a 98 was....

aw4 and 231
front axles
both driveshafts
TC shift linkage and shifter
had to splice pigtails on the speedo sensor, differnt lengths, needed more length on 4wd.
i believe that was it.

i did a 4wd conversion on a 99 4.0, aw4, np231.
all i used from a 98 was....

aw4 and 231
front axles
both driveshafts
TC shift linkage and shifter
had to splice pigtails on the speedo sensor, differnt lengths, needed more length on 4wd.
i believe that was it.

seems like it would be cheaper and less hassle to just buy a 4wd :doh:

seems like it would be cheaper and less hassle to just buy a 4wd :doh:

its also less hassle to just own a ford focus,:kissyou: if you dont wheel.

but thats not what this is about, is it?!

the 99 sport cost me a total of 2600. paid in full with cash

i had a 98 2 door with 35's, longarms, 4.10s and i rolled it while on a wheeling trip. she started up just fine afterwards. perfect drivetrain, powertrain, and electronics. horrible body. ALSO paid for.

it made perfect sense to buy a 2wd at that price and make it my own unique jeep. i know for sure it has not been beat on, and it was garage kept one owner. best of all, its a local jeep with ZERO rust. everybolt came out without pb.

so the real question is.....why not consider a 2wd? id have to swap over all my lift, wheels, bumpers, brake lines, TC w/SYE, skids and electronics anyway.

you're funny. must be afraid of a challange, if so you're in the wrong place.:wave1: i aint 'fraid 'a no ghost.

i had a 98 2 door with 35's, longarms, 4.10s and i rolled it while on a wheeling trip. she started up just fine afterwards. perfect drivetrain, powertrain, and electronics. horrible body. ALSO paid for.

it made perfect sense to buy a 2wd at that price and make it my own unique jeep. i know for sure it has not been beat on, and it was garage kept one owner. best of all, its a local jeep with ZERO rust. everybolt came out without pb.

so the real question is.....why not consider a 2wd? id have to swap over all my lift, wheels, bumpers, brake lines, TC w/SYE, skids and electronics anyway.

you're funny. must be afraid of a challange, if so you're in the wrong place.:wave1: i aint 'fraid 'a no ghost.

Amen Brother!! Can i get a witness....

Last edited:

im not scared... i was gonna do it with my 84 chevy silverado stepside 2wd... but i'd need the transmission transfercase front axle drive shaft leafs etc etc pretty much buy all the stuff. or find a 4wd and do the swap.

and my dad pointed out, that for me to buy all the parts and get it working right cutting the hole in the hump of the cab to fit the TC lever etc it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a 4wd already and put a lift on it.

as for my personal jeep, it came from the beach and before that michigan and it need's pb blaster for every bolt under it :gee:

i get to have all that fun soon enough when i lift my 2000, someone i know has a high pinion D30 to swap my low pinion d30 then i get to install my lift etc etc, and goto a bolt store and buy all new bolts cuz all mine will be rusted... i aint skurrrd either.

2wd to 4wd on xj's is 99.9% bolt in. within similar model years.

splice speedo gear pig tail to get more length. 3 wires. easy. longer drivetrain with a TC, need more length.

only disadvantage is the factory wiring harness on a 2wd does not have the instrument cluster "part-time" indicator light built into it. so you lose that.
even the back light for the TC shift bezel is plug and play.

k so basically i need to replace the ax-15 with a 4wd one and then install a t-case and then D30. So now my question is, whos got a tranny and t-case for me??? :p PM if you do

Why not find a better front axle and sell your POS D30 (=
Also, make sure whatever axle you swap in has the same gears as the rear.. most 5spd Xj's had 3.07s in em. So, maybe find a wrecked or cheap 4 cyl to swap in axles, will probably have either 4.10s or 4.56s

I am planning to convert my 2wd XJ to 4x4 right now. I am in contact with the right people right now, and pretty soon i will be heading down to pick your part to pick up my t-case, front axle, driveshafts and transmission parts.

I can't wait to get started and have this thing working. Though right now, I am just looking to do it the easiest bolt on approach, no different front axles or anything like that, just XJ to XJ.

dude, just put it in 4LO...BAM 4 wheel drive!!!

I am in the process of this changeover right now. The front end was simple. The rear was even easier. I didn't swap trans and tcase yet, but am about to have to. My motor mount bosses on my '94 2wd (the one I'm converting) busted. So I'm about to pull the engine, trans, and tcase out of the '96 (wrecked donor) and finish the job. Easy if you have basic hand tools and a place to do it.

And for all those saying its cheaper/easier to buy a 4wd. Not in Texas it isn't. A reasonably well kept 4wd, would have cost me almost twice what my 1 owner with everything on it 2wd cost me. Got the wrecked donor for $500

Back