• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TwoWheelTalk

My father in law has a TTR-225 that I've ridden in the dirt. You don't want to jump it but its a great little bike.

Yeah, but for a small trail bike to get used to the dirt I think its about perfect.

I really miss my KTM 950-ADV

Its a KTM 690 Enduro with a Raldly Raid fairing and fuel tank kit.

I think however that with some time on the TTR-225 I'll be able to get to a point where I can get this as my ultimate dual sport and be able to make use of it.
DSC03788-1024x768.jpg

I just don't get all the wight so high and uneccessary. Those luckily are thin compared to the BMW bikes. But I like the basic idea of a plated dirtbike. Your crf is perfect. Not too much bag but enough for essentials and the rest does on your back. I think 450 would be perfect. While it is an older bike, I don't feel like a 250 has quite the ass I would want for street. But that idea may change as I spend time with it on trails and find a balance.
Next battle will be electric start or not.

Electric right legs are pretty awesome, I gotta say.

You may be able to strike a balance with a WR250R. It was a bit mild for my taste and under sprung for my kind of riding, and possibly a little on the heavy side. However it's got an electric start, fuel injection, inverted forks, lights, brake light switch, blinkers, 18" rear wheel instead of an MX style 19" 300 pounds which isn't crazy, it's electric start only, which is good and bad, but you don't have to worry about it when you park it (keeping honest people honest) set aside the fact it can be lifted into the back of a truck by a couple of guys. It's steering locks and the bike won't start without the key. It also has 26,000 mile valve check intervals. It's a 4 valve dual over head cam motor so it's not a complete dog but it's not clench your ass exciting either. I'll also note that it has a wide ratio 6 speed gearbox that is unparalleled to any 450 on the market if you're going to ride it on the street.

The problem with most of the 450's is that they're still based on their bred race machine counterparts. So you have to battle final drive gear ratios if you want good street performance or if you want good woods performance. Because they're still pretty close ratio 5 speed transmissions. Holding a 450 anywhere close to pinned on the street just feels wrong. I'm barely good for 55 mph with my current gearing, that's pushing it. If you're going to ride a lot on the street I'd consider tall gearing and cush drive hub. Also, I may consider installing a keyed ignition if I was going to leave it parked for longer than it takes me to eat a meal while I can still see it from where I'm sitting.

The WR250R for a novice level rider is near the pinnacle of 50/50 (road/dirt) use just because of it's features. It's also far more forgiving than the 450 class bikes.

Luggage needs are now made easy through Wolfmanluggage.com you can hang all the bags you want off it. There's also a huge following for the WR250R, so it has proper aftermarket support. I think there's a dirtbags brand too that I hear is comparable, but I can't speak for them.

I ride that 450 maybe 15% on road and 85% off road. It makes more sense for the kind of riding I do. There's a right bike for every purpose, but there is no perfect bike for multiple things. I call it the Swiss Army Knife Theory; The more things a tool is good at, the more poorly it will execute any of them. You gotta figure out what kind of motorcycling you like to do, and buy the bike that does it best with the least amount of compromise possible.

Right. And keep in mind these things weigh nothing compared to the street pigs in used to with additional cages and subframe reinforcements etc. I do agree the 250 feels sluggish as it's not a geared to hell streetbike, bit it is a ton easier to flick around which I'm really digging. (Not that I've had it on the streets or anything yet :gag: ) I am not trying to do any hardcore offroad riding or anything. Lots of trails and I won't mind harsh environments. But no 4/5th tapped runs through bumps for me. Lol.

Next bike for me will definitely be injected. I can careless about electric start. I guess cuz I am new at it, but I enjoy being able to kick a bike over.

There isn't a lot of top weight on the KTM 950 or the Rally Raid converted 690. The tanks are on either side of the frame instead of on top. The fairing/windscreen help with wind and provide protection from rocks being tossed up by the guy in front of you.

The big 950 is a 100hp and 500lbs wet weight monster, way more bike than I want to deal with off road, but if you're going long distances with a mix of pavement and dirt it's hard to beat. The GS 1200 is way more street biased. The Yamaha Super Tenere is sort of in between the two.

Now the 690 Enduro is something else entirely. In stock trim it's only 309lbs dry. It has a 6spd, fuel injection, fully adjustable WP suspension, a very broad power curve from its 66hp engine, and electric start. A kick start back up is all it needs, but that went away with the 640 series.

The KTM 640's were good but really vibey and only a 5spd. My 640 Enduro would do 75 but it was sketchy.

It's all a matter of what you're wanting to do. I think that Rally Raid converted 690 is a great balance between a 450 Enduro and the big 950 Adventure.

I also like the WR250R or the KLX250S. The KLX lacks power for sustained road travel though. The WR has a bit more power so would probably be better in the street.

That's the only place I like the WR.

If I went slower off road it wouldn't be an issue, I'd probably till have it.

...but I'm an ex MX racer turned single track junky. The WR just doesn't cut it for me.

My CRF can be a handful sometimes. I'm only 5'8 and 140 pounds with a 30" inseam though. The CRF's seat height is like 37 inches. Overly slow and technical sections when I have to coerce the bike over obstacles will really eat some calories for me, that's for sure. I think I may have the suspension internally lowered this season. I'd shave the seat but I've already got taller risers on my triple clamp to clear my steering stabilizer. I just think at that point the cockpit would be way to roomy sitting down.

The bike is an absolute monster. Explosively powerful, I really dig it. The only other bike for me might be a KTM 300XCW.

I do want to acquire a BMW GS650 Dakar and do a proper inverted MX fork on it. That'd be a great overlandy/touring bike for me.

God I love bikes, it's safe to say if I lived in a warmer climate I wouldn't own passenger vehicles.

The GS Dakar is a great platform but heavy. That's why I like that 690 Enduro with the Rally Raid kit so much. It's like a Dakar or KLR but lighter, faster, and way cooler.

Still, a Dakar is high on my list.

There isn't a lot of top weight
Keep in mind what I am comparing it to. That weight is all super high compared to this
636done.jpg

Its just perspective ya know.

Also, long way off. But a few of my friends and I are taking dirtbikes, atvs, whatever to moab sept 26-oct2 if anyone wants to join. Just wanna get back out there and enjoy the area, nothing crazy. Wide variety of riders and rides.

I don't know Mike, minus the suspension differences that fuel tank on the sport bike looks pretty high up. :D

Moab trip sounds fun, not sure if I'll be able to swing it but I'll keep it in mind.

A tag popped up in Lyons so I just had to make the grab after work.

Then I decided to keep the theme going from the sign and ripped throttle for the WY border to set the new tag. It is technically in CO.

That's what I figured. The guy has like 3 other people beating him up for it but he is holding it for me until Monday.

It'll probably go to the wife once I feel comfortable moving up to something like a DZ400 but it shouldn't be too hard to sell either.

Yeah, I'm all about titled/street legal. Even if the bike isn't good for highway use it's just nice for connecting trails.

I might have to go exploring next weekend.

Back