• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

40 miles on ice

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Recent weather conditions in the area have resulted in several days of cold weather with small amounts of snow.Until yesterday(Thurs) when the snow turned to freezing rain.
I am not sure of the total accumilation(sp) but it seems to be between 1/2 -2" of ice.Started early in the AM and contunied until this AM.Most of this was during the day,but VDOT did not put out the trucks until evening and only on the major roads.
I had covered the Jeep with a tarp while at work so I had a clean windshield and windows and did not have to warm it up or break in the ice covering like most co-workers.
The trip home is a 40 mile run one way ,several little towns a few major hills and dips,Now my Jeep has 5" of lift,4.10 gears,31" BFG MTs and a Detroit locker in the rear,any hint of gas and the rear will spin around so fast it will make your head spin.
Drove like I had an egg under the pedal,had no problems even on the back road where I live with its series of 90*turns and S turns on the hills.
Long story short--You can drive with a locker on ice--with common sense.

:wave:
Wayne

Glad you made in one piece. Fortunately, up here in da Midwest, pure ice doesn't happen often.

We didnt get crap down here in the Hampton Roads area

XTrmXJ said:
We didnt get crap down here in the Hampton Roads area
Watch for it in about a week,some of it is to melt today 40*& sunny is forecast.It,ll be comming down the James River.
Wayne

We got 3" then it turned to freezing rain, left the site at 5pm, got home at 7:30, normally take me 45 min as I screem up the turnpike at 80 for one exit. Not this time, grid lock all the way to the turnpike and then on the tpke it was 20mph for the 20mi run... then it was 15mi of back roads to the house.
It was really funny on the way back in the next morning, all these snowy/muddy tire trails going off into the farm fields about 20ft or off into the woods that were not there when I went thru so I figure it must have got mighty interesting later on.

Then on the way home in this nasty weather I get a phone call from my son, he and his girlfriend were at 48hours video store picking out a movie when this complete stranger walks up and asks him if he likes 'James Taylor', son said yea so he handed him two tickets to go see him that night up at the wachovia arena in wilkes barre about 50 mi north of us, they went and I was about chewing my fingernails till they got home about 2am...the guys son got sick and couldn't go.

Ive had my share of locker in winter. Never again. Im only 10% trail guy anyway, the rest is DD. Id put another LockRight in, in a heartbeat, if it did better on snow and ice.

John, Yes on the old part.NO on the woman thing,I know where I,m going-don,t have a cell phone in one hand and doing make-up with the other.
Wayne :wave:

Back