• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cargo cover for subs in cargo space?

ultrasam

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of subs from my old car that I want to put into the 2000 XJ sport I just bought, but I don't have tinted windows, and I'm pretty worried about a smash and grab. Anybody know anything about cargo covers or some other way to conceal a pair of subs in a box in the cargo space? I searched but mostly found pictures of exposed stuff, sometimes in a jeep with tinted windows, sometimes untinted... Thanks!

Gojeep had a cheap interesting idea... he used shaded cloth as a 'tint' for the back. You can Google search for his website (Gojeep) That's an idea...I have a big sub box in my cargo space atm... haven't had problems with it. However, this summer i'm ditching the box and turning that little cubby hole in the rear passenger side cargo area into my new smaller sub box and it will be covered up... there's been a few write ups here on how to do it. They say the bass still sounds good... unless you're a bass junkie and like your rig to rattle that's an option.

look on ebay (or in the junkyard) for factory cargo covers. beware, they seem kind of hard to find.

or, get a roll of velcro, and some heavy cloth and make one yourself

i snagged the rollout cover out of my explorer before i sold it.
i havent measured it yet but i think its wider than the xj area is.
so ill prolly put a temp spare on the floor and put the cargo cover over the whole area..
I keep tools and stuff in the back everday, so i need to do something myself..

My 2000 came with a square piece of canvas cloth, with 4 adjustable fabric straps with plastic snap hooks on each corner. It clips into little square retaining rings above the wheel wells behind the backseat, and right inside the tailgate, about halfway up the pillar. My 2000 OE parts manual haslisted " rear carpet mat and tonneau cover IXJ-300 ". It looks like a rollout one

jbmoose said:
My 2000 came with a square piece of canvas cloth, with 4 adjustable fabric straps with plastic snap hooks on each corner. It clips into little square retaining rings above the wheel wells behind the backseat, and right inside the tailgate, about halfway up the pillar. My 2000 OE parts manual haslisted " rear carpet mat and tonneau cover IXJ-300 ". It looks like a rollout one

I called a dealer and asked them if one was available, and after the guy spent 5 minutes looking through parts books, I mentioned that I had a part number, but when I gave it to him, he didn't find anything...help

I have a greasy old beach towel draped over and a tool kit strapped to the side. Most who friends notice it ask WTF is that? I tell 'em, it's my "boom box" 1600W w/2 12's in a bandpass box. Dosen't look like I'm trying to hide anything just a greasy mess. Definately not for good looks.

does anyone have any pictures of like a 92 cherokee w/ a factory roll-out cover? i'm trying to figure out what i need to get one and use it. my friend thought he had one, but he said it was from a grand cherokee and i don't think i can get it to work. also, did they make any for full size spares (stock size)?

oaulmin said:
does anyone have any pictures of like a 92 cherokee w/ a factory roll-out cover? i'm trying to figure out what i need to get one and use it. my friend thought he had one, but he said it was from a grand cherokee and i don't think i can get it to work. also, did they make any for full size spares (stock size)?

yeah, and help me out too.

sheesh. I wish I could edit my last post. I meant to say:
From what I've seen, the pre96 XJs had grooves in the cargo area to fit the roll-out style cover. The 97+ XJs didn't have those grooves; instead their covers clipped onto the tie-down loops in the cargo area. In other words, the two cover styles don't seem interchangeable between the 2 gens.

Back