• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7 stroker, whatchu got?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I thought itd be fun to see what you all run these days, I'm curious if this is a common motor here.
I suppose add anything you can think of worth sharing so far as running a stroker, but this is what I've thought to ask.

-What are you getting for hp/tq and to the wheels if you know?
.short or long rod?
. Any odd balls built for upper end power?

-What gears/size tires?

-Anyone running one without frame stiffeners?

Is there any truth that stroker motors have a short life? I saw that somewhere once, but it didn't make much sense on the 4.0 platform. Maybe short vs long rod difference idk....

-With all the other weight and such on your rig, would you do it again or was it worth while power from 4.0-4.7?
I ask this in refernce to the loss of power through the drive train.

Long, but all the build details and the dyno testing.........

. Any odd balls built for upper end power?

Is there any truth that stroker motors have a short life? I saw that somewhere once, but it didn't make much sense on the 4.0 platform. Maybe short vs long rod difference idk....

Upper end power would be based on the cam and intake set-up.

Longevity would be based on the materials and workmanship AND the desired HP/RPM output.

Got two 4.6 strokers. One homebuilt, one bought from Golen. They are 9 and 10 years old respectively. Each has been in 3 jeeps at this point. I can't tell you mileage exactly, but safe to state that each is 60k+.

The Golen now has a Hesco aluminum head and Borla header. It makes good power revved out.

The homebuilt is tourquier. Just the cam selection, I believe.

Both are short rod.

Golen likes premium fuel or I get a little pinging.
Home Built is fine on mid grade in the summer, and low octane in the winter.

The ironic thing is a Jeep 4.0 is a "de-stroked" Jeep 4.2 so your only re-storing what was designed earlier on a motor that would run forever!

Got two 4.6 strokers. One homebuilt, one bought from Golen. They are 9 and 10 years old respectively. Each has been in 3 jeeps at this point. I can't tell you mileage exactly, but safe to state that each is 60k+.

The Golen now has a Hesco aluminum head and Borla header. It makes good power revved out.

The homebuilt is tourquier. Just the cam selection, I believe.

Both are short rod.

Golen likes premium fuel or I get a little pinging.
Home Built is fine on mid grade in the summer, and low octane in the winter.
Now that is cool, can't say I've read Nyonbe running a couple!!! Do you like either one more?

The ironic thing is a Jeep 4.0 is a "de-stroked" Jeep 4.2 so your only re-storing what was designed earlier on a motor that would run forever!
Just with more power, usable torque no doubt, and some H.P.

I don't see many folks saying they run these so it's nice to reach out for some real world opinions. I know there's countless threads about them, mainly I'm curious who's running them and the rig they fit in.

Good stuff so far guys!

Very different characters.

The Golen is in a street jeep. Really good shape, wide sticky street tires and a 242 for rain/snow days. For that, its fantastic. Not sure if it is what I would want for off roading. The power is fairly far around the dial, and I don't generally off road that way.

The homebuilt is better as a "truck" motor. Not as much HP, but torque from right off idle. Plus its much cheaper and if I ruin it off road (catastrophically overheat/off angle oil starvation/hydrolock...) I can re-build/re-place inexpensively.

Building a Commanche into a >'98 HO right now. Once its together and running, I'm building another homemade. Probably just the same as the first one.

I built my stroker from scratch almost 20 years ago. It has over 250k miles. The key is to not just throw together some parts and think all is fine. You need to monitor the engine and make sure the ECU is handling everything within parameters. The best thing you can do is to add an AFR gauge and monitor the fuel air ratio. Running way too rich or too lean is a recipe for destruction. I had to build an adjuster for the MAP and play with what injectors I ran.

My stroker has been lightly ported with headers and 2.5" exhaust. The cam will have a ton to do with how you set it up. Mine is a low rpm "RV" cam from Crane that is no longer in business. I also bored my throttle body. For me, the most important aspect was getting the quench height adjusted. Using the H802CP pistons and the thin metal MOPAR performance head gasket, coupled with decking the block around .025" yielded a quench height of around .053. I also cc'd the heads. This allows me to run the lowest grade pump gas, even with the higher compression with no ping. My highway MPG is around 21. I get 18 MPG towing my teardrop.

I am running that same (or maybe similar) Crane Cam, and I didn't realize they quite making it.

Just went to their website and verified. They don't list ANY AMC/Jeep cams.

Any ideas or recommendations for a suitable substitute?

This is a popular one with Russ......
Comp Cams 68-232-4 camshaft - Lift(.460" Int/.476" Ex) Duration(250 Int/256 Ex)

I love generic terms like RV and 3/4 race cam, at my shop I had a "clearance/sale" bin so I put a cam in there labeled 3/4 race cam. I had tons of people pick it out and throw up on the counter to purchased. I would start laughing and tell them to take a close look at what they were buying.

"I had lathe cut 1/4 of the cam off, hence 3/4 cam"

I bought the one i did based on recommendations from here. I have been happy with the result, but I trust wiser heads than mine with cam selection. Just not something I know tons about.

I am running that same (or maybe similar) Crane Cam, and I didn't realize they quite making it.

Just went to their website and verified. They don't list ANY AMC/Jeep cams.

Any ideas or recommendations for a suitable substitute?

I have the spec's filed away on the cam back home. I will look the next time I get home. I'm working in Utah.

Crane went out of business. Somebody bought the name but it is not the same company.

More common than you think, this forum is slow these days. Facebook is killing the internet.

Back