• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Nail Salon

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
After parting out my 88' (Jeepforcone) over the summer, I decided my next build would be based on a late model platform. I wanted something newer with low miles, since this is going to be a daily driver for the next year or two. After a good month or two of searching I finally found what I was after...

"The Nail Salon"

IMG_0122.jpg

Specs:
1997 Cherokee Sport
4.0L - 110K
AW4/231
D30HP/C8.25

Dellstopjeep and I went to pick it up a few weeks ago. It was a one owner vehicle, and it was immaculate (freshly detailed). The seller was selling it for his grand parents who originally bought it new off the lot. The only real issue we found was the inside smelled like a Vietnamese nail salon.

Build progress will probably be slow going, but I plan on keeping this thread updated on all the work that's done to it.

With the low snow level the past few days, I decided to take a drive on Saturday and do some exploring. This would be the first time The Nail Salon's ever been off the pavement.

I was surprised how "tight" it felt just on the gravel roads. I'm use to mass uni-body noises, back seats rattling, bushings squeaking, etc. Instead it was actually a quiet and comfortable drive. I think I can get use to this.

Ended up at the trail head for Ed's Trail, elevation 3000'. It did surprisingly well in the snow. Had to take a few runs to get over a rather large water bar, but other than that no bubbles no troubles.
IMG_0120.jpg

At the trail head. There had been a bit of traffic already up there, so the snow was packed pretty good.
IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

I continued on down to the 41rd, and out past Sunset Falls through Yacolt. It was easy day, but it was fun to get out and actually "wheel" my own Jeep again.

Nice rig Dustin! So whats the plan for this one?

Hey I like it. And it's not the girl color I thought it was haha. Can't wait for the build.

Sent from your subconscious without you knowing.....

Nice rig Dustin! So whats the plan for this one?
Little bit of Jeepforceone obviously. I'll be doing a lot of the same things again, but changing the things I wasn't happy with.
IMG_0301.jpg

The DIYness of 2xtreme. It's not going to be a catalog XJ.
IMG_0020.jpg

The simplicity of Simple Green. Why over complicate things?
IMG_0059.jpg

In the end I see it turning out as an amalgamation of Sideshow's...
IMG_0030.jpg

...and northwestxj's.
IMG_0035.jpg

Both are built very well, and do exactly what they were built for. They aren't running a 6.5" lift, and 35's, yet they're setup to conquer pretty much any obstacle the PNW has to throw at them, and then drive home comfortably after. :cool:

Last edited:
Seems like a good plan. Enough to get it done and be reliable is my favorite approach.

Its the teal color. Like stumpxj on the board. I think he lives I'm Georgia.

Sent from your subconscious without you knowing.....

After parting out my 88' (Jeepforcone) over the summer, I decided my next build would be based on a late model platform. I wanted something newer with low miles, since this is going to be a daily driver for the next year or two. After a good month or two of searching I finally found what I was after...

"The Nail Salon"

IMG_0122.jpg

Specs:
1997 Cherokee Sport
4.0L - 110K
AW4/231
D30HP/C8.25

Dellstopjeep and I went to pick it up a few weeks ago. It was a one owner vehicle, and it was immaculate (freshly detailed). The seller was selling it for his grand parents who originally bought it new off the lot. The only real issue we found was the inside smelled like a Vietnamese nail salon.

Build progress will probably be slow going, but I plan on keeping this thread updated on all the work that's done to it.
Very nice rig. Go Icelandic with it... I only have one question how did you come up with the fact it smells like a veitnamise nail salon.. is this by personal experience or did the future vp offer his suggestion ...

Very nice rig. Go Icelandic with it... I only have one question how did you come up with the fact it smells like a veitnamise nail salon.. is this by personal experience or did the future vp offer his suggestion ...

I was going to ask the same thing. To funny!

Dustin,

I am honored to have my Jeep on your "short list" :cheers:
I assume you are doing cut out rockers? That is one of the ONLY things that I regret on 2xtreme since they were not comon back in the day when I did my rockers.

I look forward to seeing yours on the trail.

Michael

I only have one question how did you come up with the fact it smells like a veitnamise nail salon.. is this by personal experience or did the future vp offer his suggestion ...
I get my hair cut at this Asian place, and it smells just like my Jeep. Could be Cambodian though. :dunno:
Dustin,

I am honored to have my Jeep on your "short list" :cheers:
I assume you are doing cut out rockers? That is one of the ONLY things that I regret on 2xtreme since they were not comon back in the day when I did my rockers.

I look forward to seeing yours on the trail.

Michael
Phase1 will get traditional rock sliders. I'm just not ready to cut into this early.

If it performs how I want it to after the first year. Then I'll probably commit to Phase2, and at that point cage it and do rocker replacements.

Phase1 will get traditional rock sliders. I'm just not ready to cut into this early.

If it performs how I want it to after the first year. Then I'll probably commit to Phase2, and at that point cage it and do rocker replacements.

Phase 1 and Phase 2? you are starting out trying to create double work for yourself? Or is this a jobs creation package? You don't work for the government do you? ;)

Dustin, you have proven that you are more than capable of cutting the body and making it look good. From my experience of doing both cut outs are MUCH easier, cheaper, stronger, etc why would you not do them from the begining?

We can talk about tech in this tread right?

Michael

What wheel do you get behind these days if both XJs, the stocker + JeepForce1, are gone?

oh.
Nice!

Dustin, you have proven that you are more than capable of cutting the body and making it look good... ...cut outs are MUCH easier, cheaper, stronger, etc why would you not do them from the begining?

x2

Back