• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Steering Froze...

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
There has been a few days latley that have been around or below freezing. I got in my XJ to go somewhere but the steering wouldnt turn right. It was sticking, but after a few minutes it warmed up and I had no problems turning. I have herd that this is the steering box starting to die. Simmilar thing happened in my dads 95 Impalla SS.

Time for the upgrade:

I have been looking at a steering box from a 99 Dodge Durango. Any comments on this box? How well does it respond to hydro steering? Seems like its the cheapest and really easy to do.

AGR is out because of the cost and the horror stories I have herd from reading on this board and from a friend who had problems with one of their boxs.

I found this thread that talked about a Lee prepped XJ box (~$450). What is this and how well does it work.

Thanks,

AARON

Jeep J-20 steering box. As soon as I find one it's going in. My buddy just put one in his XJ with 38's and he said it's a striaght bolt in, and turns the tires with ease. You may not even need to rebuild it. _nicko_

gearwhine said:
Jeep J-20 steering box. As soon as I find one it's going in. My buddy just put one in his XJ with 38's and he said it's a striaght bolt in, and turns the tires with ease. You may not even need to rebuild it. _nicko_

I've heard a lot of good things about the '99 4wd Durango box as an alternative to the J-20. It's supposed to be the large bore like the J-20 box, and completely bolt-on. In fact I think it was discussed here not too long ago at all. Try a search for more info.

Ary

Ary'01XJ said:
I've heard a lot of good things about the '99 4wd Durango box as an alternative to the J-20. It's supposed to be the large bore like the J-20 box, and completely bolt-on. In fact I think it was discussed here not too long ago at all. Try a search for more info.

Ary

Ary, Your such a search nazi! :D

I did find the Durango box thread but all it listed was that the bolt patern was the same and that it had the bigger bore but only one person had used it and a few others just menioned on it with different opinions.

I was looking for a more in depth discussion of using the Durango box, like the pros and cons.

AARON

It would be a good idea to install an inline filter in the return line. They are available at NAPA....the only protection in the system from the factory is a magnet to trap the iron/steel particles...

Sounds like trash has contaminated the spool valve in the steering box...had the same thing happen to mine after a particularly rough and bouncy pass through the local mud hole...I flushed mine...installed the filter. Eventually it cleared up completely..hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks MudDawg, I will have to try the inline filter. Any way to clean out the spool valve? I have flushed the entire steering system twice in the last 2 years but still have this problem.

AARON

It's one of those luck things...at least it's cheap and easy enough to try before plunkin down bucks for a new box. Never had a box apart before..but i'm going to get a new one myself to tap for hydro-assist because the output shaft in mine is getting a little loose..guess i'll find out whats inside then..

Back