• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Agreed. But the older ones need a little boost to to keep up with the newer ones. It's not like I'm trying to pull my Jeep up I-70 at 90mph. But is also nice to have that little extra to easily get around the big rig or loaded down mini-van.

The nice thing is the cost difference between my older 7.3 and any of the newer generation trucks is great enough I can do that work and still be way under that cost. I also get to avoid all those modern PIA things like seat belt chimes, EGR valves, DPF's, etc.

Was looking at rigid light bars...lol...not to buy one , but to see current cost.since I seen one 40 used for $ 800 and had to see if they are still way over priced , and ...DAMN!...a 40 is still an easy $1000 the 22s $500-600 and the 12s about $250-300. I was at trail head after dark loading at Carnage and...no...the rigid light bars are not that much brighter than their $ 150 counter parts ...lol...I heard folks say a 12 is as good as 30 knock off...nope...just one of my 22s lit up the trail head and field the 12 inch rigid...nope...and my lights are combo spot/flood so could be brighter. the bigger rigids on the others not really any better.

These light bars remind me of when vcr and microwaves first came out they were hundreds if dollars then competition entered the market and prices dropped to a fraction of the cost...lol...are there really that many people who think a rigid light bar made of some special parts that really cost ...lol...a $1200 to build a 40 light bar ?

Meh, fair enough, I'd still have to disagree.

"adapting to your calibration for your pcm"

Expand on this, as I one of my job duties as an engineer is calibration...and I would say that is not remotely close to what an actual programmer does. Calibration is a reference against a standard. Adjusting dwell time, ramp time, PID loop tuning, offset balance, etc...are far from calibration.

Your experience is pretty different than most I've known who done the exact route I'm talking about. There are hundreds, if not thousands (or more) people who run a GTP38R and non-stock injectors without fail for well over 100k. If it were causing that many issues, it would be far more prevalent in discussions (i.e. much like the 0331 XJ head).

Then again, how you use that power is all relative. Me using it to more normalize towing, it a hell of a lot different than someone who's using to to hotshot around, roll coal, etc. etc. On top of that, we all know there are lot's of other contributors to an engine's failure.

I'm also not towing 50k and trying to make my truck compete with an OTR rig, I'm just looking to more comfortably tow my rig, and maybe two every once in a while.

Ford had numerous calibrations . You can look them up from the tear tag (4 digits) on the pcm. Yes a lot of the better tunes will modify these on a slightly more complex basis, but still most companies have a set of generic 7.3 tunes.

I am not at all against that turbo. It's an excellent upgrade. More what I meant by was when you are looking for 400hp, which I guess if you mean at the crank or the wheels, I would not expect the life out of it as you would a stock motor. You you're absolutely right, driving style plays a lot into, but nonetheless​, towing can still be pretty hard on trucks.

And be subject to stopping at every DOT scale and POE and asked for the same credentials you do in your work truck plus full level 1 inspections vs the personal pickup pretty much getting a free pass .

Why. Not for hire stickers makes me equivalent to an RV and don't have to do a damn thing but keep rolling.

Agreed. But the older ones need a little boost to to keep up with the newer ones. It's not like I'm trying to pull my Jeep up I-70 at 90mph. But is also nice to have that little extra to easily get around the big rig or loaded down mini-van.

The nice thing is the cost difference between my older 7.3 and any of the newer generation trucks is great enough I can do that work and still be way under that cost. I also get to avoid all those modern PIA things like seat belt chimes, EGR valves, DPF's, etc.

Agreed. My burb pulls no problem. (496 BBC ).
However, auto, 4 speed, and needing midrange for the booty means up passes I can be found searching for the right rpm. Once motor gets tired, plan is for H/C/Headers/boost. Should put it about where the newer diesels are.

Why. Not for hire stickers makes me equivalent to an RV and don't have to do a damn thing but keep rolling.

I've seen those , but not really sure how that works . But hell an older Semi with a sleeper would beat a pickup any day , but.the parts aren't cheap .

If it's. It used in commerce, not pulling livestock or marine equipment, you get to keep rolling. Livestock and marine equipment are the non-commercial items required to stop.
You can own a semi and pull whatever ya want, so long as the truck cannot be used for commerce. Not that it isn't currently. But that it can't be. Which is where the not for hire tags come into play.

If it's. It used in commerce, not pulling livestock or marine equipment, you get to keep rolling. Livestock and marine equipment are the non-commercial items required to stop.
You can own a semi and pull whatever ya want, so long as the truck cannot be used for commerce. Not that it isn't currently. But that it can't be. Which is where the not for hire tags come into play.

I've seen the placards on the doors and still seen.then stopped at the scales , so not 100% sure how it plays I realize it's no longer a commercial vehicle , but.I still see them at the scales when wearing...not for hire...

I've seen the placards on the doors and still seen.then stopped at the scales , so not 100% sure how it plays I realize it's no longer a commercial vehicle , but.I still see them at the scales when wearing...not for hire...

My understanding, and I am a commercial driver for a living, is that any commercial vehicle, as well as any vehicle with a GVWR over 26,000 lbs, needs to stop at the weigh stations.

In Colorado anyway.

It depends on signage. If the scale house says all over 26k. Then yes. If it says all commercial, then no.
Some stop to prevent issues with skipping scales. However, like a 'private motor coach' or any things like that, it is not commercial, therefore not regulated by the fmcsa, and varies state to state. Compliance with your local state across the country would keep you out of trouble.
It's all in the markings, plates, etc on the vehicle.

We used to do it all the time hotshottin loads.
On site we would be logo'd and complete. However the load would get tarped completely, the logos were magnets, and once off site the magnet not for hire logos would go on. Only got in trouble once due to the apportioned plates calling us out. But I wasn't driving so all good. :D

My understanding, and I am a commercial driver for a living, is that any commercial vehicle, as well as any vehicle with a GVWR over 26,000 lbs, needs to stop at the weigh stations.

In Colorado anyway.

Have a cdl with all my endorsements now for 13 years , but never looked into the rules of driving a semi as not for hire ...I would still think you get looked at much harder than a guy with.a pick-up and small trailer pulling your Jeep .

Well yeah. Most guys doing it are hiding it as private. If every rig you are pulling arent in your name, it's considered for commerce and now it's big tickets. But your truck. Your trailer. Your shit. Have at it.

Well, it was inevitable I suppose. ........

My storage lot rent got raised again..... 24'x40' fenced lot was $200/mo 6 years ago, went to $300 3 years ago, now is now $400. Just can't justify it.

Add insult to injury..... they won't rent me smaller space as my junk is too junky and no longer is welcome due to a new "appearance standard policy" they're adopting. So, if I don't pay up....I'm out.

So, I'm gonna have to drastically reduce my remaining stash...... as in empty out the u-haul truck and sell it.

Probably sell the MJ trailer....... hate to.

Hoping to relocate the enclosed trailer with the '46 Olds, and my '67 Cutlass to a storage space, and rent a 40' container for the rest of my crap and the MJ trailer.......and stay at or below $300/mo.

Wish me luck.......

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

I have been moving a pile that has accumulated for a decade. Some stuff I look at and think "it goes!" Other stuff, I look at and think...

My storage lot rent got raised again..... 24'x40' fenced lot was $200/mo 6 years ago, went to $300 3 years ago, now is now $400. Just can't justify it.

Add insult to injury..... they won't rent me smaller space as my junk is too junky and no longer is welcome due to a new "appearance standard policy" they're adopting. So, if I don't pay up....I'm out.

So, I'm gonna have to drastically reduce my remaining stash...... as in empty out the u-haul truck and sell it.

Hoping to relocate the enclosed trailer with the '46 Olds, and my '67 Cutlass to a storage space, and rent a 40' container for the rest of my crap and the MJ trailer.......and stay at or below $300/mo.

Wish me luck.......

Thats a bummer, Denvers just getting nuts with prices of crap. Well I know someone looking for MJ parts:wave1:

They're just doing while they still can, the bubble is about to burst.

Well, I'm between 2 places to reburn my TS Performance chip on the 7.3L PSD. Its between Riffraff Diesel and DP-Tuner. They both offer the tunes I want. Riffraff will be a little cheaper but when I'm researching these things it seems like the majority of the guys are using DP-Tuner's tunes on their trucks.

Modes I'm going for:
1 - Stock
2 - High Idle/Warm Up
3 - Whisper/Quiet Idle
4 - 60hp DD/Economy
5 - Exhaust Brake/Decel (closes the EBPV and locks the TC)
6 - 60hp tow (with revised shift points and TC lock up protocols)

I'm going to call them Monday and nail down who I'm going with. I'm not sure if Riffraff's Exhaust Brake tune deals with the TC or not, I'm assuming it does since they mention TC changes for their tow tune. I also thing that their daily driver tune is a +70hp and their economy tune is +30hp. I'd rather be right between that, which is where DP-Tuner's puts it. I'm also going to ask if the Quiet Idle tunes are really worth using up a slot for or if I'm better off putting something else there. I've read mixed reviews on that, but there are some YouTube videos of it seeming pretty damn effective. It would be nice to be able to leave the truck on when ordering a double cheese burger from time to time. I think it would also be nice (for the neighbors at least) when dropping off/picking up my kid early in the morning.

Gotta love the parts store people... When I finished my gas tank relocation, I went in to buy some filler neck hose. I told them what I needed, and they sold me this nice flexible piece of gates hose. Well only now I. Found out it's coolant hose. The new stuff I got from gates is super nice but $24 a foot!

That's nuts, I rent 3, 750 sq ft shops, for $375/month each, was paying $300/month for over 12 years.

Wish me luck.......

Back