• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uwharrie 4/27-4/29

OBXJeepGuy

NAXJA Forum User
I am finally going to hit Uwharrie. I have a cabin reserved, and have a tow vehicle. I have been talking to Glenn (Ghost). Hopefully he can go, and some others...

First "vacation" the wife, and I have been able to take in almost 10 years together...

Anyone else?

I'll see if I can come up for the day at least. Deanna and I have a new puppy, well she is 11 months now, and we have yet to bring her jeepin. And I have not really made a seat for her either.....

Not likely to make this one. Front is still apart waiting on axle shafts.

That sucks, man. Let me know if anything changes. You still have my number.

The only real concern I have is possibly breaking the CAD shift collar, and I don’t have a spare!

Well it was a fun weekend overall. Friday night, and Saturday morning were a nightmare. Long story. Learned a lot about my Jeep, and have a new list of needed things before we go again.

Well it was a fun weekend overall. Friday night, and Saturday morning were a nightmare. Long story. Learned a lot about my Jeep, and have a new list of needed things before we go again.

Really hate I could not get up there. Hopefully I'll have my shafts in tomorrow. So what did you come across and learn? Any pictures to share?

I do have some pics, and couple of short videos.

First of all, the last time I did any kind of wheeling like this, I was in Arizona, and Nevada. Completely dry conditions. Uwharrie on the other hand, had been rained on that day. I actually hit Daniel first, only because I didn't know my way around. So naturally I tried it. Got up the ledge, and then next to the tree on the right. That's where I got hung up. Couldn't back up because I slid against the wall, and the tree was in the way. I had to winch myself up, and in the process I smoked the alternator. The one spare part i didn't bring. I got back down, and hauled ass to the cabin with little battery power to spare.
Long story short, I had to drive to Albemarle to get an alternator. Put it on, and it was dead. Had to go back to Albemarle again in the morning to get another. They tested it before I left. Back in business by 10 am, and off to the trails.

Last edited:
The hardest thing we got to was Dutch John. Apparently there was a crowd that had a hell of a time getting up the second part that has the really high walls. We watched about 10 various Jeeps, and Toyotas go up, and get hung up just as they rounded the right turn inside the crevice. I tried it after all of those, and made it no problem. Well, there was one spot after the turn where I really had to gas it, but got through. Never got stuck, or had to back up.

Sounds like a good weekend to me. I really hate I missed it. Shafts come in today! :woohoo: So I take it you liked it and will be returning there? Is your alternator the old GM style? I know my 84 2.5 had those on it.

Oh yeah. Loved it, and will be back. Yeah it has a GM alternator. Basically it’s an ‘85 Chevy S10 under the hood. (Except the cam, intake, headers, and Weber carb).

Any pictures of the trip you can share?

If I can get the jeep fixed I think I'll go to the next work day. Where is that cabin? Was there enough room to get the truck and trailer in and out?

If I can get the jeep fixed I think I'll go to the next work day. Where is that cabin? Was there enough room to get the truck and trailer in and out?

Yessir, you can pull in from the road, park like you see me there, and then drive straight ahead, and back out to the road.

The cabins are right on Highway 109 less than 5 minutes from Eldorado Outpost.

http://www.uwharriecabins.com

That cabin is called Country Lane #1

Back