• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally finished my XJ rockrails today. *Pics Galore* 56k go eat some hay.

Timmay

NAXJA Forum User
Well here's the pics. :D Enjoy

The reason for rockrails... :bawl:

Highclearancerockers.sized.jpg

Started with this as a guide to my fabrication:
Left_Quarter.jpg

This is how i ended up cutting/capping the end.
It's a pretty complicated cut, i'll let the pics speak...
edgecut.sized.jpg

The jeep for some mockup...
Mockup.sized.jpg

side_mockup.sized.jpg

Starting on the "frame" tie in's and the angle iron which bolts to the pinch seam...
Scott_welding6.sized.jpg

The finished tie ins...
finished_frame_tie_in.sized.jpg

Tacking on the frame mount "feet"...

scott_welding5.sized.jpg

Tacking the 2x4 to the frame tie ins...(notice the dent :( )
scott_welding3.sized.jpg

Finish welding on the 2x4...

scott_welding.sized.jpg

timwelding.sized.jpg

Since my poor Lincoln 135 wasn't exactly penetrating the 3/16" and 1/4" very well, i took a trip to my uncles shop (he's a professional weldor) and used his monsterous mig. Results...

weld.sized.jpg

Finished welding, time for a final test fit before paint...

unpainted.sized.jpg

Mounted with the dent...

unpainted_mounted_5.sized.jpg

I used Duplicolor spray on bedliner to paint them. First i did 3 coats from about 14", and then taped off the "step" portion and did two coats from about 24"-30". Spraying from farther away makes the bedliner spread out farther, making more of a no slip surface. This is until I rebuild the front bumper and fab the rear bumper, then everything gets a coat of Herculiner.

Enough talk, finished pics...
Painted_unmounted.sized.jpg

Here you can see the "two tone" paint...
painted_unmounted_2.sized.jpg

painted_unmounted_3.sized.jpg

painted_weld.sized.jpg

Mounting shot with Deke's jeep in the backround...
Painted_mounted4.sized.jpg

Finished mounted pics...

painted_mounted2.sized.jpg

Painted_mounted5.sized.jpg

Comments? Questions? Concerns? Enlighten me.

Link to rest of pictures Here...

Pretty fricken sweet! Nice job handling the pinch. If I wasn't so anal about building almost everything on my XJ, I would offer to buy a pair.

-Rich

Colorado_XJ said:
Pretty fricken sweet! Nice job handling the pinch. If I wasn't so anal about building almost everything on my XJ, I would offer to buy a pair.

-Rich
Haha i'm the same way. Why buy when you can build :wave: .

bac XJ said:
nice, i like the fabrication, looks really clean and well made

what size lift do you have? what size tires?

thanks

-brent

Thanks. I have a 3" Lift and 31x10.5R15 Trxus MTs.

you weld in shorts too huh? Try flip-flops too, they're my welding shoe of choice :laugh3:

what's with the big ol' bolts on the frame though? if you ran them all the way through without sleeving you can crush your framerails down over time.

BrettM said:
you weld in shorts too huh? Try flip-flops too, they're my welding shoe of choice :laugh3:

what's with the big ol' bolts on the frame though? if you ran them all the way through without sleeving you can crush your framerails down over time.
Tomorrow I am sleeving the frame. Didn't have time today. The through bolts will also be backed with 1/4" backing plates. This means if I roll it, its an easy extraction point. If i just used self tappers, I don't know if they'd hold. I figure the extra $0.35 spent today is worth the ease of extraction. :dunno: Guess I am trying to be different too much. :laugh:

Timmay said:
I used Duplicolor spray on bedliner to paint them. First i did 3 coats from about 14", and then taped off the "step" portion and did two coats from about 24"-30". Spraying from farther away makes the bedliner spread out farther, making more of a no slip surface. This is until I rebuild the front bumper and fab the rear bumper, then everything gets a coat of Herculiner.

Great technique - thanks for that pointer!

Nice fab work. Looks good.

r@m

Another Marlton Jeeper!!!!, what part of marlton are you in?.. I'm over by Evesham Road and Kings Grant but I'm out here in New Mexico for the next several years.. good to see there's some modded XJ's running around Marlton.. maybe when i come back, we can set up a run somewhere

how much shipped to 71115?:)

what did you use for fender flares

I cannot view the pics, did you have a web link as well? Please give them to Billy at dbxj.com to put the rock rail pics in his xj database. My bro might be interested in a pair if we can see some pics and the price is right.
Troy

BrettM said:

Hell yeah, Reef's, shorts and a t-shirt are my typical welding apparrel. I actually end up getting more hurt when I wear real shoes 'cause the slag runs down my leg, into the shoe, and rests on my foot. Whereas with flip-flops I can move my foot and kick the slag off. Got a big "dent" in the top of my foot that is the reason I won't wear shoes when welding unless I'm wearing pants as well.

Ary

SoNjJeep said:
Another Marlton Jeeper!!!!, what part of marlton are you in?.. I'm over by Evesham Road and Kings Grant but I'm out here in New Mexico for the next several years.. good to see there's some modded XJ's running around Marlton.. maybe when i come back, we can set up a run somewhere
I'm in willow ridge, just down the marlton parkway from you. Behind genaurdi's.

Ramsey said:
how much shipped to 71115?:)

what did you use for fender flares

I'm not sure if i'd sell them, but if you guys want them, why not.

AJ charges $145 for his standard 2x2 rails, and 2x4 tubing is almost double the price of 2x2 right now, so i'd say $190 + shipping? This is only if I decide to make more sets, if you're truely interested I could probably do it.

I don't have fender flares, I trimmed my fenders to the first lip and added door trim around the cut.

Big Red said:
I cannot view the pics, did you have a web link as well? Please give them to Billy at dbxj.com to put the rock rail pics in his xj database. My bro might be interested in a pair if we can see some pics and the price is right.
Troy

See above post for price and other stuff.

Timmay said:

See above post for price and other stuff.

He probably can't see the pics because that webserver runs on port 81 instead of the standard HTTP port 80. His corp. firewall is probably blocking inbound/outbound traffic on 81, as does mine (on purpose).

If you get the chance, I would like to see some pics of your trimming, both front and rear. It looks very clean in the rock rail pictures.

Also, nice work on the rails. If you end up making a few more sets, I'd probably be interested.

dbxj said:
He probably can't see the pics because that webserver runs on port 81 instead of the standard HTTP port 80. His corp. firewall is probably blocking inbound/outbound traffic on 81, as does mine (on purpose).

If you get the chance, I would like to see some pics of your trimming, both front and rear. It looks very clean in the rock rail pictures.

Also, nice work on the rails. If you end up making a few more sets, I'd probably be interested.
I see what ya mean. It's my bro's server, I guess if he was smart he would've known about that.

I'll look for some pics of the trimming, I did it when i was still at stock height, so the pics will look funny, but you asked, so you shall recieve.

I was hoping some could help me with my rock rails. Just like you Timmay, I bent the crap out of my rockers. The problem is the pinch seem has been pushed up, so the pinch seem mount does not line up. Is there a way I can pull the pinch seem down, or some how make it work?

MSHarnett said:
I was hoping some could help me with my rock rails. Just like you Timmay, I bent the crap out of my rockers. The problem is the pinch seem has been pushed up, so the pinch seem mount does not line up. Is there a way I can pull the pinch seem down, or some how make it work?
My pinch seam was pushed up as well. All i did was take a flat head screwdriver and work it in underneath, then once I got it a little ways i shoved a crescent wrench (adjustable) over it and worked the whole pinch seam back to straight. I hope you understood that :looney:

dbxj said:

Meh, I decided to go take some pics just now. Here you go.
The door trim needs to be reapplied with some superglue, it's just hanging there right now, as you can see.

Trimming pics

:patriot:

Back