• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

...I'll provably end up keeping these as spares since my housing is the 78-79 making them a hard sell as most people don't have that year , but if I didn't break the Yukons these are very unlikely to go anytime soon.

I kept my Yukons for spares. They sit in the trailer box (padded with foam) as in case.

That being said, if I break an RCV, not sure the Yukons will do me much good.

But, in the case someone else breaks, and either has the same width, or just needs a stub...I've got some.

Will be taking a week off for labor day weekend and will and renting a trailer for the week since I don't have time to get my trailer ready ... So anyone know of anything going on that week ? I may trailer out to Moab ...lol... my only reservations there is Moab is hot as F $%# This time of year and I hate the heat and area bfe is closed .

Power steering pump is starting to howl on the XJ and with a zip locker and 35's steering can be a bit tedious too. I was thinking of doing a Durango box and WJ pump but wanted to get some thoughts on both upgrades. I don't think there is anything wrong with the steering box itself (although if its original it has over 260K on it) so was thinking of doing an AGR super pump instead. They're $235 and make more pressure than the stock pump.

Last edited:

Power steering pump is starting to howl on the XJ and with a zip locker and 35's steering can be a bit tedious too. I was thinking of doing a Durango box and WJ pump but wanted to get some thoughts on both upgrades. I don't think there is anything wrong with the steering box itself (although if its original it has over 260K on it) so was thinking of doing an AGR super pump instead. They're $235 and make more pressure than the stock pump.

I wouldn't touch an AGR pump or box from what I've seen their quality is shit . Their rams are ok but I've seen their boxes and pumps blow seals and shit the bed with very little time on them . My buddy runs their full hydro assist set up with the super pump and box and the box blew up twice and the pump shit once all in the first year they didn't cover it either . On the other side of that the psc stiff I had on there for a few years which was bought used from crawlertech never had an issue .

I loved my WJ/Durango set up. Turned my 33's with no effort at all. You'll need to make a few tweaks but in the end was worth it. Just needed to put a bigger spacer on the gear (the bigger gear hit the unibody with a stock spacer, couple of washers or fabbing one is all it needs), cap the hydraulic fan on the WJ pump and drill out or tap one of the brackets mounting points) I had about $300 total in my steering setup with a cooler, filter, all new lines, brackets, pump and box. I went with lares for the remans. If you do it I suggest doing both, not the WJ pump or the durango box.

Colorado fest started today , but I don't have vacation days back till September ... was going to trailer it out for holycross and chinamans, but I'll be stuck sitting in the semi truck this week.

Yeah, I wanted to make it down this year but I got put on orders all of June and am out of leave.

Yeah, I wanted to make it down this year but I got put on orders all of June and am out of leave.

Yeah I gotta wait until labor day weekend to wheel on paid days off ... but I'll be taking an entire week off . I'll probably start with holy cross which I'm only going for cleaveland rock so I'll probably drive up to exit section on the access road to get to the obstacle a bit quicker...which I anticipate will be all of about 1-2 minutes if uneventful walking over cleavland rock without difficulty...then I want to come back down the same way I went up and as long as I don't roll and break doing so I'll be heading to Buena Vista to try and claim the waterfall before v-nitch without a winch .

Lol... checked the price on windshield for my commander... $450... so I immediately lowered my deductible to $100 and will turn it in next month ...lol... $450 for a $100 piece of glass and $350 in labor for a stoner at satellite to install it .

Check Anders Auto Glass in FoCO. I paid $110 installed for my XJ.

Check Anders Auto Glass in FoCO. I paid $110 installed for my XJ.

Could probably get a bit lower...but I do have the fancy auto rain sensing electronics on my windshield so it's going to cost more than my dodge or xj with nothing attached to the glass ...but I will be using my insurance they get $1800 a year from me , so I'm using it .

The single speed transfercase has got to go . I Have made a few runs around the back roads and 30mph top speed at 5000k rpm is not enough head room to enjoy the suspension and high range is too sluggish with a stock 4.0 . A gearing of 2.0 or 2.7 would allow around 60 mph like the stock 231 did which would be a lot more fun on the open trail stretches . The 5.0 is perfect for the crawling , but it just lacks fun on whoops which the old white body shocks and one size fits all coils didn't have the ability to do much on , but this does ...lol... infact you can obtain some pretty good speed and it doesn't feel like you're off paved road.

Thinking about getting more brake power . I have large GM single piston calipers front and rear but a stock master cylinder. I am going to replace to cheap pads and rotors that have been on it since I bought it and am looking at maybe a ram 2500 van master cylinder .The issue comes with reading all the b.s. in various threads regarding these Dodge and Ford MC swaps...from it bolts right in or needs a little fine tuning to everything needed swapped and worked like crap .From my recent searching the Ram 2500 van seems to be the best fit for the dual diaphragm xj booster and brake lines vs the 350 Ford stuff . Anywho what I'm after is the ability to hold the jeep on a steep obstacle when coming out of gear as currently if I am on steep ledge the brakes don't like to do a great job at holding if not assisted by gear .

Colorado ain't Colorado no more. If all goes well we'll be out in 2 months. Cheer y'all.

Colorado ain't Colorado no more. If all goes well we'll be out in 2 months. Cheer y'all.

Can't blame ya.

The problem seems to be not many places left to go worth while.

Hell, we've entertained moving abroad for some time to get to see more of the world, and get away from the ever growing sh*t throwing fest that seems to become much of the US.

Out to where?

Agree, especially with Denver and Colorado springs. Love CO but can't stand Denver anymore. Last week we where in Denver getting the wife a new car and all I could think about was getting back home. It took us a solid 2 years to find something worth while to get out of Denver.

Back