• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD 231 Shift Linkage (Auto Trans) from Boostwerks!

Re: HD 231 TC shift linkage from Boostwerks!

? I was changing my oil this evening and looking at the TC shift linkage (going to swap this kit in over the weekend hopefully)

Does the front driveshaft need to come off to get access to the swap out the linkage? It almost looked like the new linkage will hit the driveshaft when installed, but that's unlikely and probably only my perception and trying to visualize the install from being on my back looking up under my XJ... :)

Will be nice to replace all that 'chaos' of OE linkage!

What are you doing in Oregon???

I got my shifter last week, nice piece! Can't wait to install it, and can't believe how crazy fast it shipped! Thank you, I'm ordering the shackles next!!!

I just received my 231 linkage kit however I am having issues with the install. After messing with it for hours the only way to get the linkage to fit was to shorten the rod. I shortened the rod in order for it to fit properly. Now with it installed, I can only shift from 2wd to 4hi, thats it. I see talk of a longer tc tab or a bracket to lengthen the shifter. I made a bracket and now it shifts through all the ranges except the throw is way off. 2wd is normal, go to shift to 4hi and its in N, along with 4lo being in the N position. What the heck...should of just left the oem setup...
97b8c000-d3e1-4c07-8fe8-b7a79c96c650_zpse5c7d35f.jpg

Here it is in 4Lo
20759e35-c3b5-45ad-968f-51d523d8171e_zpseb6f6115.jpg

Spent more time tinkering with this, here's an example of why owners of manual xj's may have issues getting out of 4lo (despite trying the top hole of the tc tab, it didn't help using the rear hole)-
Photo1767_zpsf9597810.jpg

I ditched my first shifter extension and made another-
Photo1770_zpse0e24528.jpg

Photo1768_zpsc7e683c6.jpg

Trimming the threaded rod even more and making another shifter extension was the key. The throw is still slightly shorter however I actually like it and the shifts feel nice and precise. Sometimes you just have to take a break and think about it a little harder :) Thanks Boostwerks
ps: the bolt hole plugs don't fit my 98', they slide right through. Oh well, I'll make my own!

Its almost as if the boostwerks tcase tab had a boomerang shape to it allowing it to leverage differently in relation to the rod it would solve some problems...no?

Nah. Boomerang shape doesn't change the direction of forces, just gives clearance when needed. Like rear shackles... they don't fix your shackle angle, they just won't bottom out against the bracket so quickly.

Eh it would take entirely too long for me to explain my theory by typing so never mind

Perhaps a longer tc tab would help the shift rod angle, would be easier to make then removing your shifter to drill a hole for the extension to mount on. I considered making a longer tc tab but you can only get so far with an angle grinder and a drill.

I figured I'd bump this for some clarification and changes made to the kit:

Our current 231 shift kit is now for use with the AW4 auto trans and 4.0L motor ONLY! We are sorting out the details on a specific manual trans kit, in addition to the 242 kit . I've made the decision to re-engineer the kit for this specific application. Also if you have a TC drop, it will require our 242 kit due to the change in geometry.

For anyone that has already ordered and have yet to install the kit on their manually equip'd XJ, I will provide the additional tab and hardware at no cost. Just simply PM me your order number and I will be sure to send out the parts once we have them back from plating!

The linkage rod will still need to be cut down however, but the amount may vary depending on the year/model of your XJ and trans. This is something we will need to determine before offering a specific manual kit.

Thanks for your understanding!
Bryson

Installed the linkage kit this past weekend on my '01 XJ w/the 231/AW4/4.0 combination. I was able to get the linkage installed w/out removing the front driveshaft, however doing so would've made it much easier in the long run.

The only additions I made to the kit to make it easier to install was go by the hardware store and pick up some 3/8-24 lock-nuts (not w/the plastic) and some 3/8 washers for spacers. Used a washer on each side of the shift levers (hopefully that makes sense). I had to adjust the end-links for a bit shorter throw to get everything to shift correctly. I didn't have to cut the threaded rod on my application.

Since I rarely ever drive my XJ in anything other than 2Hi and 4Hi this should work out great for me. Only time I ever use 4Low is simply to see if it's working... :) It's amazing how complicated and flimsy the OE shift linkage is when you replace it w/something like this linkage kit... which is so 'simple' in design but much more rugged and EASY to adjust. :)

I'm glad you like the kit! The newest gen kits now have regular nuts with a lock washer to make installation and adjustment easier. I've also added a washer to space the rod end away from the shift arm so it's easier to get a wrench on it.

I'll have more updates later this week as well. :)

Installed the linkage kit this past weekend on my '01 XJ w/the 231/AW4/4.0 combination. I was able to get the linkage installed w/out removing the front driveshaft, however doing so would've made it much easier in the long run.

The only additions I made to the kit to make it easier to install was go by the hardware store and pick up some 3/8-24 lock-nuts (not w/the plastic) and some 3/8 washers for spacers. Used a washer on each side of the shift levers (hopefully that makes sense). I had to adjust the end-links for a bit shorter throw to get everything to shift correctly. I didn't have to cut the threaded rod on my application.

Since I rarely ever drive my XJ in anything other than 2Hi and 4Hi this should work out great for me. Only time I ever use 4Low is simply to see if it's working... :) It's amazing how complicated and flimsy the OE shift linkage is when you replace it w/something like this linkage kit... which is so 'simple' in design but much more rugged and EASY to adjust. :)

Why are there 4 holes in the bracket? Does it require trial and error 'adjusting'?

In most cases, the setup will use the rear most hole on the tab (as pictured). The other holes are there to allow us to utilize the same part in other applications, as well as providing some adjustment to those who have clocked the case. :thumbup:

Back