• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Snorkel Type Intakes (Cowl)

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
I had an ARB on my last XJ and it worked nice, but costs a wee bit. I've been looking at doing a "HMMWV" type setup on my cowl. I don't want anything something as large as their setup, but an XJ sized variant of it. I'd ready to remove my airbox, cut holes, and get to work :) I have a good idea of what I'd like to do, but I would love to see your similar setups. Post up! Thanks all!

Last edited:
Anyone done this? I'm sure I am not the first..

I have no idea what you're even talking about....?

I don't want anything something as large as their setup, but an XJ sized variant of it. I'd ready to remove my airbox, cut holes, and get to work
What is this swahili

I'll have to go look at some of the Humvee's here....

How much ya willing to pay for one if I happen to aquire one? LOL...

hmmv_lrg.jpg

So to further clarify: we're talking about the "smoke stack" on the passenger side?

That is correct. It doesn't need to be that high, but that's the general concept of what I want to do. Maybe only 3-12" off the hood line, thinner "stack", and smaller top. My snorkel was cool, but I want to do something different this go around.

Basically, I will be routing a tube from the intake, into the cowl. I'll then have a hole for the tube/stack to pass through and then a filter element inside that I can change out if required. Same concept as a snorkel, just a different type of setup/look.

Here's one on a TJ:
dscf2564zy4.jpg

Last edited:
GhostDakota said:
That is correct. It doesn't need to be that high, but that's the general concept of what I want to do. Maybe only 3-12" off the hood line, thinner "stack", and smaller top. My snorkel was cool, but I want to do something different this go around.

Basically, I will be routing a tube from the intake, into the cowl. I'll then have a hole for the tube/stack to pass through and then a filter element inside that I can change out if required. Same concept as a snorkel, just a different type of setup/look.
DSCF3504.JPG

More pics here.

Personally I love the H1, so I remember looking for ways to have the intake and front clip and I saw someone with the mushroom intake on thier XJ...just can't remember where.

Funny thing is when I was quickly searching for those threads I found this:

0115040103060104032007111925b0a4dd7d895538a400657f.jpg

That's like a Landrunner Cherokee.. lol.. They have Landrunner TJ's and such (wider body, more slots, etc.), but haven't seen a similar XJ 'til now.

GhostDakota said:

Here's one on a TJ:
dscf2564zy4.jpg

This is an awesome idea

Has anyone done this on an xj, the hard part would be routing it over to the passenger side so it isnt directly in frontof u.

bandit455 said:
This is an awesome idea

Has anyone done this on an xj, the hard part would be routing it over to the passenger side so it isnt directly in frontof u.

Thanks! lol. My plan is to pull the airbox assembly completely, spin the intake tube around on the throttle body, and run it to the passenger side, and into the cowl area. This would keep it out of the driver side, rather easy too. I just have to be careful of the heater core and such.

You have to have a rain and splash guard as well, which is pretty simple to do if you look at the design behind the Humvee setups.

Last edited:
Has anyone else ever done this?

I have seen the guys that run it up to the cowl vernt but the issue with that is that the second u go i over ur hood u will get mud pushed down into the filter. that is why I like o having the covered filter above the hood

I think the air box in F150's with the 4.6L around 1998 would be a good staring platform.

The look like this with a cone style filter inside. This is in a V8 swap wrangler
IMG_0678_small.JPG

tgoff said:
I think the air box in F150's with the 4.6L around 1998 would be a good staring platform.

The look like this with a cone style filter inside. This is in a V8 swap wrangler
IMG_0678_small.JPG

Windstars use the same filter box, if you can't find an F-150 in the junkyard.

WheelsUp said:
Windstars use the same filter box, if you can't find an F-150 in the junkyard.

just happened upon this thead and wanted to mention that mid-90s Ford Explorers with the 4.0 also have this kind of round filter box....

Bump :)

Back