• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My NP435/203/205 swap

Very nice write-up and nice job on the clean up with the drivetrain components. Clean is where it's at...

This section has been severely cluttered lately with not so advanced fab questions and threads and I've been really disappointed. This was an excellent boost to this section of the board!

The 203/205 will probaly weigh in at 200 to 250 alone. Not sure on the 465 but I'd guess another 200 there. Anyone knw what the aw-4 and tcase together weigh? I'd guess it added 300+ to the rig but the benifits of a bullitproof drivetrain and the bonus of the different combanations of ranges and front digs are worth it IMHO if you do it yourself and don't pay top dollar for the parts. I have about $800 in my 203/205 cases and doubler kit. You cannot even touch a klune or atlas for that.

Last edited:
From the numbers I've been able to find on the web the 205 is about 130 lbs, the 203 range box is 80 lbs and the NP435 is 140 lbs. Add 20 lbs for adapters and it comes out to about 370 lbs.

I haven't found any numbers on the AW4 & 231 though, if anyone knows I wouldn't mind knowing how much heavier the drivetrain got.

As Ghost said though it is pritty much bullet proof.

Putting an atlas behind the AW4 would have ended up being slightly cheaper in my case. I got the tranny and cases for very little but the small parts and the clutch parts really added up fast. It was almost $1000 for the rebuilds, bellhousing clutch parts, master & slave cylinders and flywheel.

But one of the big reasons I did the swap, was my AW4 needed rebuilt, as it was slipping pritty bad. I had to do most everthing in 4low. Plus my XJ is an 89 so I had the 21 spline output.

Now, if I ever decide to upgrade I can get an Atlas or Stak with the 31 spline Ford transfer case mount and bolt it up and I'm still 31/32 spline all the way through.

The 231 is arround 75 to 80 lbs Ihave shipped them and IIRC that is what they weigh. As for the AW-4 I have no idea but I'd bet it would weigh 100 easy. I stand by my gueses, the 203/205 will weigh 250. I guessed wrong on the tranny though. I would have thought that thing with bellhousing and all would be 200 easy. I test fit the 203 behind the aw-4 yesterday and it fit great. I'll try and find my camera over the weekend and start a thread and stop mucking up your perty one.

I
search
realize this post is 12 years old. But does anyone have pics of their set up? I found this on the web and I was wondering if it could solve the heater core issue?

Back