• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrome windshield trim & windshield replacement?

wolf2600

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 92 Cherokee Laredo w/ the factory chrome trim surrounding the windshield. I called a place to come out to replace the cracked windshield, but apparantly when the guy came out (I wasn't the one who talked to him), he said he wasn't sure how to remove/replace the chrome trim, and wouldn't be able to do the job. He suggested I bring the XJ down to the windshield place's shop, and they'd try to do it there.

So..... my question: How do you remove/replace the chrome trim? Anything to note so as not to damage the trim while removing?

Thx.

Something you may want to look into is having that chrome replaced with a later style rubber moulding/gasket. I have heard that it can be done with no mods, it would definitely be worth researching and talking to the glass guy about, unless you like the metal style trim.

Very strange. Most any windshield companies know how to remove the trim. The trim is held on by plastic clips that have a flexible part that you need to compress in order to release the trim. Harbor Freight has the tool to do this with. Cheap too.

The trim just pops off. It's held on by some plastic clips that mount to posts in the channel around the glass. Basically stick a large blade under the outside edge, push the inside edge towards the glass while lifting the outside edge, and it will just pop loose. Once the trim is separated you can see the clips, which can be removed by pressing a tab in the center and sliding the clip towards the end with the hole.

If you want to upgrade to the later year gaskets, you'll need to Dremel the clip mounting posts down flush

Very strange. Most any windshield companies know how to remove the trim.

Agreed. Any glass installer that doesn't know how to work with the trim I wouldn't trust to do the glass :doh:. I'd hope he's new on the job.

You don't need the trim or the related plastic clips if you have the installer use a 96+ gasket which doesn't use the trim.

I dumped my trim years ago, been much happier since :)

Back