• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REVISED FALL FLING TRAIL LIST.

G

This is a revised list adding Tuesday to the trail list. If anyone can lead any of the trails listed please let me know so I can put your name down.
This list is subject to more revisions as necessary.

FALL FLING 2002
MOAB, UTAH
TRAIL LIST FOR
OCTOBER 9-12

E= EASY; stock vehicles with minimum modifications
M=MODERATE; vehicles with moderate modifications. ie. 3”+ lift, 30”+ tires, some skid protection
H=HARD; minimum 3.5”+ lift, minimum 31” tires, skid protection, and traction aid at least in one differential, experienced driver in 4 wheeling, willing to take body damage.
D=VERY DIFFICULT; minimum 4.5”+ lift, minimum 32” tires, minimum mandatory one locker or two well working limited slips, tools, spare parts and knowledge in repairing vehicle, willing to take probable body damage and spend long day on trail with family.

TRAIL LIST
(LEADER)
TUESDAY, OCTOBER, 8
E=Gemini Bridges (above and below)
M=Steel Bender
H=Behind the Rocks
D=Moab Rim

WENDSDAY, OCTOBER, 9.
E=Tusher Tunnel (Mil)
M=Tusher Tunnel/Wipeout Hill (Mil)
H= Metal Masher
D= Pritchett Canyon

THURSDAY, OCTOBER, 10.
E= Schaffer Trail (Mike)
M= Poison Spider
H= Cliff Hanger (Mil)
D=Helldorado

FRIDAY, OCTOBER, 11
E=
M= HELLS REVENGE
H= ALL XJ RUN
D=

SATURDAY, OCTOBER, 12
E=Top of World/Rose Garden
M= Gold Bar Rim to Golden Spike
H= Poison Spider/Golden Spike (Nay)
D= Rusty Nail/Golden Spike (Sean R)

[/b]

Mil,

I'd be happy to lead Steel Bender on Tuesday if I'm needed. I've run it 4 times -- one of those times backwards so I feel I'm well acquainted with the trail. Let me know, Shari and I will arrive in Moab on Monday the 7th and will be staying in the KOA at the south end of town.

Troy Betka

Mil, I won't hit town til Tues night, but I'll plan on leading Metal Masher on Wednesday and the more difficult version of Hells Revenge on Friday. Not sure about Thursday, Helldorado is calling my name...................but I'd like to see the end of Cliffhanger someday, seem to always storm when I run it......
XJEEPER

Having only been to Moab once I don't think I'd make a good trail leader. Some would say that I'd never make a good leader. I'd be willing to serve duty as a mid or tail gunner though. The trails I intend to run right now are Moab Rim, Metal Masher, Helldorado, Hells Revenge (Hard Route) & Rusty Nail. Let me know if I can help out in any way.

Matt

[quote:ce62c034db="FarmerMatt"]Having only been to Moab once I don't think I'd make a good trail leader. Some would say that I'd never make a good leader. I'd be willing to serve duty as a mid or tail gunner though. The trails I intend to run right now are Moab Rim, Metal Masher, Helldorado, Hells Revenge (Hard Route) & Rusty Nail. Let me know if I can help out in any way.

Matt[/quote:ce62c034db]

Matt, you need to put Pritchett Canyon on your list. If you can run Johson Valley (Brent keeps telling me how cool it was) you'll have a good time with Pritchett.

Milt:

I'm going to try and check out Castle Valley a few days before things get "officially" started on Tuesday. I seem to recall that Rose Garden was not exactly a stocker climb - and want to refresh my memory first, but I suppose you can list me as the "easy" leader on Saturday as well.

Will most likely take in Steel Bender again (not sure if I'm up for Behind the Rocks being 2300 miles from home) and probably Metal Masher - so I have no problem whatsoever in doing cream puff duty the last couple of days. By the way, the Shaffer Trail ride will definitely take in White Rim trail to Musselman Arch and, depending on how adventuresome the "easy" group is, maybe Lathrop Canyon down to the River. And we'll hit Dead Horse Point on the way back (a FULL day folks!).

Also, thinking of running Lockhart Basin Trail part way (to Lockhart Canyon down to the River) and probably Gold Bar (upper Spike) sometime Sat/Sun/Mon before we get started for any other early birds that are interested.

Less than 50 days!

Mike in NJ

[Farmer Matt wrote] I'd be willing to serve duty as a mid or tail gunner though.

I don't know about you guys, but I always get a bit nervious when Farmer Matt is behind me. :shock: Still I like the line-up. I'll be there Tuesday. Is Behind the Rocks forward or backwards? And does it include Pritchett? I'm thinking BTR, Pritchett, Helldorado, Hell's Hard Way, and Rusty Nail. Or maybe I'll just hide under my bed.[/quote]

Farmer Matt ran Pritchett Canyon last year, ask me how I know. I had a lapse in concentration (its the stereos fault :oops: ) and he had to winch me back onto the trail. Not even an obstacle, how embarassing.

Crunch

[quote:48ada14013="Crunch"]Farmer Matt ran Pritchett Canyon last year, ask me how I know. I had a lapse in concentration (its the stereos fault :oops: ) and he had to winch me back onto the trail. Not even an obstacle, how embarassing.

Crunch[/quote:48ada14013]

I'm hoping not to rub salt in your wounds, but where did that happen? The only places I can think of that you'd need a winch to get back on the trail are really kind of hairy to get back out of.

[email protected]

Mike In NJ... we will be hitting Moab on Friday the 3rd and would like to do Lockhart Basin. I did some of it last year till I found some steering probs and turned back. Was a pretty fun trail actually.

Would also like to do Fins and Things if anybody is interested!!

The mystery person above was me, sorry.. having a technical difficulty. Fins and Things anyone, sometime before the official start?

mbryson wrote;

[quote:e361e329a7]I'm hoping not to rub salt in your wounds, but where did that happen? The only places I can think of that you'd need a winch to get back on the trail are really kind of hairy to get back out of.[/quote:e361e329a7]

It really happened in the middle of nowhere. We were rolling along on a nothing part of trail, I did something with the stereo, the trail turned very slightly, and my front slid off into some soft stuff with my left front against a rock. Every time I tried forward or back, the front end (open diff) just slid further off the trail.
Crunch

[quote:f8fc753898="Crunch"]mbryson wrote;

[quote:f8fc753898]I'm hoping not to rub salt in your wounds, but where did that happen? The only places I can think of that you'd need a winch to get back on the trail are really kind of hairy to get back out of.[/quote:f8fc753898]

It really happened in the middle of nowhere. We were rolling along on a nothing part of trail, I did something with the stereo, the trail turned very slightly, and my front slid off into some soft stuff with my left front against a rock. Every time I tried forward or back, the front end (open diff) just slid further off the trail.
Crunch[/quote:f8fc753898]

Interesting. It can happen to any of us at anytime, but I thought you might have tried down 'yellow hill' or something. I couldn't picture anything that you'd need a winch on to get out that wasn't kind of hairy.

My trail choices would be Cliff Hanger, Hell's Revenge the hard way, and Rusty Nail. I wouldn't mind tailgunning on either Cliffhanger or Rusty Nail. I love running Pritchett, but I want to do something different this year. I wouldn't be interested in running lower Helldorado, but I'd take a few folks over to play on lower Proving Grounds if we got back at a decent time on Thursday, or on Sunday. In fact, I'd be willing to lead a run on Moab Rim or lower Proving Ground (or maybe both) on Sunday for those who will still be around.

I think having two start times for the Hell's Revenge run is a good idea. The folks who want to play on the hard stuff can let the second group catch up to us.

Richard G

Here are the trails I'm thinking about running...

Tue.-Behind the Rocks
Wed.-Pritchett Canyon
Thr.-Cliff Hanger
--
Sat.-Rusty Nail
Sun.-Moab Rim ?

[quote:b4743a21f7="FarmerMatt"]Having only been to Moab once I don't think I'd make a good trail leader. Some would say that I'd never make a good leader. I'd be willing to serve duty as a mid or tail gunner though. The trails I intend to run right now are Moab Rim, Metal Masher, Helldorado, Hells Revenge (Hard Route) & Rusty Nail. Let me know if I can help out in any way.

Matt[/quote:b4743a21f7]

Matt, I've never had you as a leader but you make a very good follower (or so your wife says :) ) I'll be glad to have you as my TG any day.

XJEEPER

[b:bcb1e51ba4]JKTXJ wrote:[/b:bcb1e51ba4]

[quote:bcb1e51ba4]

Would also like to do Fins and Things if anybody is interested!!

[/quote:bcb1e51ba4]

A possibility - I'll be at Slickrock campground by Friday night. Make sure you stop by so we can say hello and talk about things before the "real" event starts Tuesday.

Mike in NJ

Well I lost this thread & just found it again. Yes I ran Pritchett last year & had a good time doing so, but the length between obsticles started to get to me by the end of the day. Same with Behind The Rocks. I think the most fun I had last year was the day we did lower Helldorado & lower Proving Grounds probably just because of the trails being more consistant with obsticles than with dirt road.

XJEEPER,
If you'd like I'll TG for you on Metal Masher or what ever Mil wants to put me to work doing. At the moment I'm hoping I'll be done Harvesting by than. I have my doubts right now because of the way this year has been shaping up & if that's the case I'll have to bale on the Moab trip. Lets just hope it doesn't come to that. :cry:

Matt

Looking forward to seeing you Dan..been a while! :)

Mil, if there is anything I can do to help out on Clifhanger on Thursday please let me know. We will be arriving on Wednesday night.

FYI there will be a group from California and Colorado running Golden Spike on Saturday. Not sure how many they will have, but just a heads up.

Back