• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uwharrie Work Days:

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
URE work day in two weekends! Anyone up to meet me there for some Winter fun in the forest?

Word has it that they will be moving the last of the guard rail off of Kodiak and taking it to Daniel. This means that you will be able to drive up Kodiak and Budweiser Rock.

Some of us from seven hills jeep club in Lynchburg va are coming
Will be my first (of many) trips out there

Are you coming for the work weekend? Or after they open in April?

Hey guys I'm gonna through this back to the top. The March workday weekend is going to extremely important to keep some of the trails open in uwharrie. So if you have time Saturday or Sunday please come out and help, this work actually helps keeps the trails open. Below is the briefing from FOU they are also going to be providing food this weekend

THIS WORKDAY IS ONLY THE 19TH AND 20TH. IF YOU SEE ANY OTHER DAYS THEY ARE NOT CORRECT. I AM THE ONE THAT SET THIS UP SO I KNOW .

MEETING PLACE BOTH MORNINGS IS GROUP CAMP, NOT HUNT CAMP. TOO MANY FOLKS COMING AND NEED A BIGGER MEETING PLACE.

know this is a ways out but I am going to start this now to give folks a heads up early.

We are doing a march work weekend to try to get more stuff done / have a good time camping.

We will be concentrating on Daniel trail. it needs a lot of work this year.

W already have Group camp booked for the Friday night thru Monday morning.

Shawn and Cydney have already stepped up to help with chow ( food) for Saturday.

I ( thru FOU as its COO ) have already gathered a few different places to sponsor us with different things. I will say more the closer we get but I know of a few that want to be kept quiet. Dicks Sporting goods has stepped up.

I will update this thread as I get more info.

Thanks

I'll be there for Saturday for sure.

Looking like I may be there Sunday. Will anybody else be there? If not, I can probably change my plans to be there on Saturday instead.

Hi Everyone – I hope you all are doing well. We had a very successful work weekend on March 19 & 20. I want to thank all of you that helped out that weekend. It was great to see everyone.

The next work day is April 16th and we’ll continue on with some of the projects that we did not complete in March. We will need folks that can drag or haul guardrail and posts to different locations. The guardrail and posts are out on the trails and now that we have some areas all done on Daniel and Dickey Bell Trails we have extra posts and rails that can now be moved to the other areas.

We’ll meet at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp and head out to the trails from there. We’ll coordinate which groups will be dragging and hauling the post and rails and we’ll they’ll be taking them and we’ll have folks lined up to help with the installation too. We might also have additional straw to spread. I’ll be going out to the trails with Joel Hardison before the 16th to see where we need more straw and for him to pin flag our line to follow with the guardrail installation.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Joel, Pete, Rodney, Jeff & Deborah please let me know if any of you will be able to work with me and the volunteers this day. Thanks.

Bye - Terry

Work day coming up! I will try and go if the jeep is running.

Hi Everyone – Our next work day is May 21st at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp. Now last month was a very large disappointment because nobody showed up to volunteer. A few of the CROC members did show up late in the day and met up with me on the trails and they did some work the rest of the day.

We really need your help to complete the barricading of Daniel and Falls Dam Trails. We need to complete the work this year before October so if we can complete the installation of the guardrail in May & June we’ll also be able to meet the requirement of spreading the straw mulch in several areas by our deadline of September 30th. We’ll have the straw mulch for the June work day.

Rodney & I will meet you all at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am on Saturday, May 21st. We’ll be finishing installing guardrail on Daniel Trail and then we’ll be taking guardrail and posts from Daniel over to Falls Dam Trail and on Forest Road 516/Falls Dam Trail. If you have vehicles or trailers that can go on the trails to haul posts and drag guardrail please bring them. We’ll be installing signs and pick up trash too.

There is still some rock at the Dutch John Trailhead and we can use some more of it moved to the blind curve on Dickey Bell Trail. If anyone is coming up that has a vehicle or trailer that can haul rock and take it up Dickey Bell Trail we could have a group work on that.

I hope to see you on May 21st. Thanks a lot for your continued support and help. Bye - Terry

Some letters came out this week. First is about Rocky Mountain Loop:

Comments to: [email protected]

Attachments

• Kodak Rock Scoping Letter 081916.pdf
    329.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Kodak_Rock_Proposed_Action_Map_05262016.pdf
    545.9 KB · Views: 3
Next is about Dickey Bell. And from what I understand is good news:

Comments to: [email protected]

Attachments

• Dickey Bell Scoping Letter 081916_signed.pdf
    433.1 KB · Views: 0