• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Bags

BRIANHO13

<- Yum Chocolate
Has anyone removed thier airbags? My rig is trail only sooooo...... Are they worth anything($)?

Airbags are worth some dough, Talk to local salvage yards to find out how much they are worth.

Disconnect the battery for a while before you unhook the bags. And be careful of static electricity, they can be set of easily. Touch yourself to a bare metal surface before working on the bags.

Just FYI

JeepFreak21 said:
My insurance company gave me like $1500 to replace my blown airbag after I got in an accident.

Of course I bought a front 44, gears, locker, histeer, rebuild kit and a grant steering wheel. :D

Billy

hell yeah. Arent insurance checks great.

I'd leave them in. They won't go off unless you hit something pretty hard, and if you hit anything that hard you're going to want them regardless of whether you're off-road or not.

I rolled mine with them enabled and It still didnt go off, you can however perm disable them.

Under the passenger side dash, below the glove box openeing there is a control box that has a plug that can be popped free to disable the airbag. The bag WILL NOT work with out the box hooked up.

I also rolled mine and decided to keep the bags in. The XJ is 75% trail only, but I like the idea of having the airbags for street driving. Either way they shouldn't go off unless you need them.

Yep, I bought a rolled 2001, and neither bag went off.

I've been wheeling my 98' since 2001, and no bag issues either.

Roughtly what speed would you have to be going to set the bags off? And where are the sensors located? Each corner correct?

Quick story... I had a 93 Geo Prizm and the airbag light was on. I called the dealership to see if they would blow up in my face over a pothole, and I was told when the light comes on the system dissables and wont go off, so I should come in right away to have it fixed. Well I fell asleep and wacked a tree going 60mph and the friggin bag went off. I locked my arms on the wheel and would have preferred it to have not gone off. I did lock my knee slamming on the brakes, and on impact my femur snapped and pushed my knee up towards my hip., spent 3 days in the hospital and have a rod from my hip to my knee. Heres a pic for shits and giggles, best $550 winter beater, damn I miss it
c0eeebc5.jpg

zfinger said:
Quick story... I had a 93 Geo Prizm and the airbag light was on. I called the dealership to see if they would blow up in my face over a pothole, and I was told when the light comes on the system dissables and wont go off, so I should come in right away to have it fixed. Well I fell asleep and wacked a tree going 60mph and the friggin bag went off. I locked my arms on the wheel and would have preferred it to have not gone off. I did lock my knee slamming on the brakes, and on impact my femur snapped and pushed my knee up towards my hip., spent 3 days in the hospital and have a rod from my hip to my knee.

ouch.

They're speed sensitive. They shouldn't go off at speeds youre likely to be moving at while on a trail anyway (unless of course you drive like I do in the desert). Theyre also only supposed to deploy if the impact is frontal (the pressure/impact sensor is on the front of the vehicle). A roll over or accident that does not involve a blow to the vehicle in this region isin't supposed to pop the bag.

i'm pretty sure the ones on 96's are all self contained you could pull it no prob i have pulled min a few times

Back