• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee ideas anyone who has any ideas plz share them

deejay

NAXJA Forum User
K this coming summer i will be stripping the cherokee down to nothing and planning on a motor swap tranny and transfercase with heavy duty axles when i mean im rebuilding everything i mean everything must go so what kinda motor should i run its gonna be set up for rock crawling and for the dunes and still street legal as well i know how to do metal work and work on vehicles and everything so doing custom work isnt an issue to fit the engine in and whatever else needs to be custom done i have a shop for it all i was thinking of dropping a 4bt cummins in it i have always liked diesel's but give me your input of what you would do to it if you where doing this yourself and money didnt matter thanx

811 CID Hemi
20071120-1_2.jpg

TF727
129_0608_10_z+automatic_transmission+torqueflite_727.jpg

Atlas 4-spd
Atlas-4-Speed-D3-400.jpg

Rock Jock 60s
JK-RJIIIF_new.jpg

54" Baja Claws
mt2.jpg

:D

psssh rock jock 60's are childs play
loaderaxle.jpg

loader axles :)

i also see no forced induction on that 811

Ok on a serious note read through this thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945920

It will give you alot of info for what you will be doing. For the axles look into the ever popular 60 front and rear or 60 front 14 bolt rear. If you want really hard core then look into rockwells front and rear with an atlas trans case.

Deisel will not work for the dunes it wont spool up fast enough. Super charge the 4.0lt and ad a nitro kit keep it light weight and run 33X12.5 tires Dana 44 front and rear long arm kit King or Fox coil overs and put the pedal to the floor.

Street legal motor swap and Utah dont go together so well at least has far as I knew. I would do some home work first and see what you can get away with last I knew you can only get away with doing a motor swap if it the same manufacturers motor and even that was not always do able. I just moved from SLC about a year ago and I was going to do a 350 and a SAS on my Blazer and I did not do it cause it would not have been able to pass emissions & inspections.

As for the axles if you are looking at doing a V8 I would not go anything less then a D60 front and a 14B, D60 or D70 in the rear.

And how sweet are those 54" Baja Claws, there supposed to be available to the public next year.

As for the axles if you are looking at doing a V8 I would not go anything less then a D60 front and a 14B, D60 or D70 in the rear.

Most D60s were 30 spline with shafts no bigger than a D44. Ask how Bill (RCMan) how fun it was to bore out the spindles to get 35-spline bling in there.

There were some D60HDs with 35-spline from the factory, as well as the late model E-series vans from Ford (35-spline, disc brakes, etc).

Depending on if you're going to narrow the D60 or not, I'd go with a 14B SRW (not C&C).

Stick with the I6, but stroke it to 4.6 or 4.7. You can get those up to small block power levels, and then add a supercharger or turbo and you can make some serious power. That'd be the easiest way to get more power under the hood.
Put one ton axles under it and at least 35s for diff clearance.

Wow that is awesome. And if Bill Gates were to build an XJ im sure he would look at some of those more exaggerated builds.LoL On a serious note though i would probably look into stroking your 4.0 and looking into hp44 and ford 9 inch, their are too many options for suspension though, i would just find which one suites you best.

...its gonna be set up for rock crawling and for the dunes and still street legal...

If you’re going to “set it up” for rock crawling wouldn’t you want low gears and aggressive chunky tires, and for the dunes higher gears and smoother tires? There’s nothing wrong with dreaming though.

hmmmmmmmmm well i already got 33x13.50 super swampers with the motor already done up a bit performance cam custom cold air intake full exhaust headers bigger injectors and i drive freeway speeds atually over freeway speeds haha and rock crawl and the sand dunes and it does just fine my brother still keeping up with the quads across the dunes just fine not an issue

how would a 4bt inline 4 cummins do in the cherokee or should i go with the 12 valve cummins if it even will fit i know the 4bt will fit ill have to check the 12 valve inline six cummins

hate to rip on you for stuff like this... but man, I can't read a damn thing you're saying when you don't use any punctuation.

k i am going to drop the 4BT Cummin's in it (inline 4 cylinder diesel engine) All work will be custom done and fitted.

The inline 6 would tear the XJ apart, before you even start it. Just the extreme weight would kill you. Then factor in the torque, much reinforcing would have to be done and you'd end up with a seriously nose heavy XJ. The 4BT would probably still make for an extremely nose heavy XJ. Not good in the dunes if you get off the ground at all...ever seen what happens when you land on your nose?

Back