• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to Moab...

XJeeper20

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,

I've never been to Moab and I would love to try and make it this year for the 25th anniversary, but I don't really know anything about what will be going on.

I was wondering if some of you kind NAXJA forum members could give me some sort of idea as to what it will be like. I am a college student trying to drag my dad along for a fun wheelin trip.. any info will help, thanks!

How much money should I expect to pay (not including gas, food, lodging)?
Will there be long waits to jump on a trail?
How many days do people usually stay?
Do you drive your 4x4 there? Or tow it?
Do I have to register my XJ or do I just show up?

What else is there besides gas, food, and lodging? :) Ahh, raffle tickets.

A lot of people are going for the entire week. I'll be there Sunday through Saturday. If you can only come for half a week, pick the last half. The dinner and raffle will be Friday night.

Tow or drive? I drive, but only because I don't have a tow rig and trailer. A lot of guys are towing, especially those coming from the East Coast.

Pre-registration will be available online. Not sure when though. Then when you arrive in Moab, you need to go to the Slickrock Campground and undergo a tech inspection.

You can also sign up for the weeks' trail runs at the campground. It's not known yet how many runs will be offered each day. But with so many people coming, the runs may fill up quickly.

So there's no fee for wheelin or anything? No park fee? No hidden/weird fees?

As for the tech inspection is that just a basic check to make sure there's no major leaks or what?

And for the trails...
I haven't a clue how that is going to work...
You sign up for a trail and thats it?
How many trails would you normally do in a day?

I'm assuming everyday will have specific things to do and see but I was wondering if we are limited to what they have planned? Or are we free to do as we please... jumping on trails whenever and going crazy?

Thanks for all the info... Just tryin to grasp what this event might be like... :eeks1:

XJeeper20 said:
So there's no fee for wheelin or anything? No park fee? No hidden/weird fees?

As for the tech inspection is that just a basic check to make sure there's no major leaks or what?

And for the trails...
I haven't a clue how that is going to work...
You sign up for a trail and thats it?
How many trails would you normally do in a day?

I'm assuming everyday will have specific things to do and see but I was wondering if we are limited to what they have planned? Or are we free to do as we please... jumping on trails whenever and going crazy?

Thanks for all the info... Just tryin to grasp what this event might be like... :eeks1:

If you go on an official NAXJA run, there will be a small fee for each trail you run (usually around $5, but don't quote me on that). That is part of our permit to hold the event on the public lands. However, if you go out on your own or with a small group that is not an official NAXJA run, then you don't have to pay any fee.....unless you run a trail in the Sand Flats Recreation Area. Hope that makes a little sense.

Tech inspection checks for this stuff:

Equipment List
Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
First aid kit
Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
Acceptable forms of attachment points: (All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
D-Rings
Shackle/Clevis
20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
Secured battery (no bungee cords)

There will be trail signup at the event for sure. usually if you run an official event trail, you will only do one a day.

You are free to do what you want each day. You do not have to run official trails everyday....you can get together a small group and go off on your own if you like.

Hope to see more of my worshippers in Moab......only 20? I was sure there were more.........:dunno:

XJEEPER said:
Hope to see more of my worshippers in Moab......only 20? I was sure there were more.........:dunno:
:wstupid: Haha who you kiddin man? Long story short, I thought I came up with the lamest name that absolutely nobody would have (because it's so lame). I was fed up with the registration process not letting me have a number of different names.

Sorry dude, just so happens there are people in this world I never would have thought existed.

All jokes aside, my name is Eric and I'm still trying to persuade my workaholic father to take some time off and make the trip with me...

Spent about 30 seconds of thought on my screen name 10 years ago and it stuck. Sounds like you'll fit in just fine, Eric.

We're still finalizing the trail run schedule, look for it to be posted up soon with more details regarding the event.

XJEEPER said:
Spent about 30 seconds of thought on my screen name 10 years ago and it stuck. Sounds like you'll fit in just fine, Eric.

We're still finalizing the trail run schedule, look for it to be posted up soon with more details regarding the event.

:party:

Back