• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 limited slip disc??

auto locker replaces the spiders, you still need an open carrier. should be silly cheap.

I literally just put mine back together today and you need spicer PN 701046X. It comes with the spring washer and the clutches that go on the side gears.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but the washer next to the side gear is a spring washer and it has a curve that gives the LSD tension. Mine were both cracked when I took it apart. The "washer" next to the carrier is a clutch.

If you are talking about the trust washers on the spider gears, you are out of luck, there is no replacement available and best option is to axle swap or switch to an open diff.

It is a royal PITA to get the thrust washers back in but it is possible.

Cheers, because mine had been T-boned, I was unsure it had been concaved due to impact or not.
I'm astonished that this principle is the spring washer used!
Seems they are prone to cracking and making a mess in the gears!
Currently hunting down an open 8.25 carrier, and put an Aussie locker in it.
But rare and then expensive here.
Hopefully i only just have to swap over my ring gear to keep the same.
And put new carrier bearings in. + dial the new one in etc.
Any troubles you guys think I will hit, except of the cook finding out?

Well luckily the 8.25 is a side adjuster style axle so getting your ring gear backlash back where it started will be far easier than on a Dana rear axle.

BTW some Dodge Durango and Dakota had 8.25s as well and also I believe some 1500 class full-size vans. This may aid your hunt if you are junkyard scrounging. Just make sure you get it for the right spline count axles, I've been told that 27 and 29 spline carriers are not the same. Luckily the 8.25 carrier break is 2.47 down vs 2.76 up so it's unlikely you'll have to take that into account.

If you look at the different pics regarding 8.25 rebuild kits they appear to be all flat.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdh-701046x/overview/

Sorry mate, I was a bit confused. The term spring washer out here in oz is a totally different
Concept.
I originally thought this washer was concaved due to T-boned impact at first.
My understanding now is the first shim/washer/clutch closest to the center on each side the "spring" . It has a slight convex, almost unnoticeable!
The "S" spring design seems a far better choice.
The 4 retainers are rather flimsy as well.

Geezer...... the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know! Ha.
Ok what is a "carrier break" / 2.47 down etc in reference of?

It's got to do with the "deck height" of the carrier - the flange that the ring gear bolts to is at a different offset from one side of the carrier to the other depending on what range of gear ratios it supports, to avoid manufacturers having to make ring gears really thick for the numerically higher ratios. Aftermarket typically makes gearsets that fit the stock carriers for the appropriate ratio range, but also "thick" gearsets that allow you to put deeper ratio ring gears on a shallower ratio stock carrier instead of buying a deeper ratio range carrier.

For example, on a dana 30, the carrier break is at 3.54 to 3.73 - if you have 3.54 or lower ratios, you use the lower carrier, if you use 3.73 or higher ratio gears, you use the higher carrier.

Example, from a dana 44:
Carrier-Illustration.gif

A "thick" gearset has a ring gear that is 0.32" taller to make it bolt onto the numerically lower ratio carrier on the left, while having a ratio that would typically be used with the numerically higher ratio carrier on the right. The other direction is not possible as the pinion gets large enough that the teeth would have to be cut so deep into the ring gear that they would interfere with the tips of the ring gear bolts and the ring gear would be so thin it wouldn't be strong enough.

An 8.25 carrier break is at 2.47 down vs 2.76 up, and the lowest ratio ever put in an XJ/MJ from the factory was 3.07 and we 4x4 guys generally go even deeper than stock, so this is not a concern for you unless you are sourcing a carrier from a vehicle that has gears 2.47 or lower (numerically.)

I seem to recall the Durango I pillaged for my 8.25 LSD carrier had 3.92 gears, not sure what most of them have though.

Last edited:
Cheers, because mine had been T-boned, I was unsure it had been concaved due to impact or not.
I'm astonished that this principle is the spring washer used!
Seems they are prone to cracking and making a mess in the gears!
Currently hunting down an open 8.25 carrier, and put an Aussie locker in it.
But rare and then expensive here.
Hopefully i only just have to swap over my ring gear to keep the same.
And put new carrier bearings in. + dial the new one in etc.
Any troubles you guys think I will hit, except of the cook finding out?

What year is your jeep c8.25 98+ are 29 spline 96 and older are 27 spline 97 is a mix of both just a heads up

What year is your jeep c8.25 98+ are 29 spline 96 and older are 27 spline 97 is a mix of both just a heads up

Incorrect. 96 is the mixed year, per the factory parts catalog and every single person I've ever talked to as well as experience.

Incorrect. 96 is the mixed year, per the factory parts catalog and every single person I've ever talked to as well as experience.

Totally correct. My XJ came out late in 1996 and listed as a 1996 year model. When I removed the noisy 8.25 to replace it with the D44, I checked the shafts. They were indeed 29 splines. My basterd child XJ is fitted '96 down parts and '97 up parts.

I ended up importing an open carrier for my 8.25! $500 ozzi coin later!!!
And got a Spartan on its way.
At least now I have a spare ring gear and pinion etc.
Pitty auto lockers are not allowed to be fitted in Australia!
But it's going to be a rear fit, and take my chances at the annual inspection.....

Back