• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle shift forward after new spring/shackle relocation

01sesedan

NAXJA Forum User
Wondering if anyone has run into this. I recently installed new OME CS033RA springs and ironman4x4fab adjustable shackle relocation kit. After install, the axle shifted forward.

I called ARB support, emailed photos, they believe the shackle relocation is the culprit. I'm going to remove the relocation tonight, see if it makes a difference.

Has anyone run into this? I'll try to post some pictures.

2hGazGq

Only the center pins on the leaves determine axle location.

Err, the front mount and pin are what primarily locate the axle. Shackle can make a smaaaaaaaall difference in location, but on a 4' long leaf spring, that difference is tiny since it's the spring swings on such a long arc.

1) are your shackles backwards?
2) are the springs?

Shackles wouldn't make a difference....spring being backwards would move the axle back not forward.

Almost all springs have a shorter distance from the pin to the front than the rear....this lets the front have give the strength to handle power, and the rear have the flexibility (due to being longer and the shackle being at that end) for comfort and wheel travel.

Shackles wouldn't make a difference....spring being backwards would move the axle back not forward.

Almost all springs have a shorter distance from the pin to the front than the rear....this lets the front have give the strength to handle power, and the rear have the flexibility (due to being longer and the shackle being at that end) for comfort and wheel travel.

can the o.p. have too large of a shackle added to a shorter leaf spring? would that push the axle forward as he has it?

im not sure if it looks funky from the wheel size or if hes really got something odd going on. it does look odd

The only thing that will change the distance from the front spring perch to the axle center pin is the payload. Add 500 lbs to the cargo area and take another picture. Drive around a few weeks with the same 500 lb payload and take a 3rd picture.

Not sure if I've ever seen shackles installed in that orientation. It doesn't make a difference for locating the axle, only for clearing the body typically or in this case the SRBs as the shackle swings rearward. I have 1.5" shackles on mine installed with the crook to the rear and I had to trim most of the SRB rearward of the hole I'm using.

Leaf springs only fit one way. (+)/arrow - towards front (body side).

Reinstalled RC extended shackle. Axle still seems to be a little bit forward. I'll put 500# or so, drive it a few hundred miles.

Will post updates.

Thanks..
ff86b7ed68ba28fed3c20b0f43176bf7.jpg
37d909cb02ef4bea48b259d31709dc42.jpg
f523f0cbfa6da9ad3c548a74476407ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Im sure as this settles itll get better, especially after adding weight as suggested.

now seeing close ups of the shackle its not a boomerang type, it wont matter much for direction.

just curious though

is the shackle vertical/90*?

Back