• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Yesterday I picked up some axles for my jeep: a high pinion D30 with 3.55's that needs a rebuild, and a welded 29 spline 8.25 with 3.55's that has no brakes on it.
These were the same status as my jeep itself, as in, get these out of my way!

What year is that 2 door?

My 2 door is a 90.
Just picked up a 91 mj parts jeep from a guy at work. Gonna jack the front axle and seat belts and hopefully part the rest.

I want a 91 or 92 MJ for my next trail rig.....

Didn't get any actual work done to the XJ this weekend, but did amass some more parts for it, and took my little boy romping around in the woods at our new house.
Mechanically, this jeeps works VERY well! The factory limited slip in the dana 35 is the first I've had in a jeep, but it really works great! Obviously not quite a locker, but when trying to make some trails on my property, I can mash the gas in 2wd and get a definite 2-tire rooster tail going.
Once I get the axles swapped I'll start getting a little more adventurous down at the creek.

Going from open diff to a lsd is a huge upgrade. I can attest to that for sure! Like stated no locker, but huge upgrade none the less.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No work done on the XJ this weekend but I did get to replace the passenger side front axle on the Tacoma.

I gotta say, it was quite a bit easier to change my Tacoma axle than any shaft in my XJ. Maybe it was less rust or maybe it was a decrease in the amount of bolts that need to come undone to do the swap. In any case, I actually enjoyed working on the IFS. I didn't break anything and also I didn't use any swear words as opposed to the many I use when working on the Cherokee.

put a lot of my interior back together over the weekend, while cussing the P.O. a bit for disassembling the interior in the first place, and throwing away most of the parts, and giving my mostly latemodel interior parts to put back in, minus door panels and dash and center console. The stuff doesn't really fit together all that well between a mix of the two, but at least it is looking a bit more complete. This weekend I'll have a chance to rob some more parts from an identical 2 door twin in West Tn that belongs to a friend of mine from way back in high school.
I've also found that RockAuto has some great prices on parts that previously were only junyard items for me, such as header panels, grills, and headlight bezels.
I'll continue putting the old beast back together, but I think I'll be taking the driver seat back out for my endeavors into the fuse panel. That's going to be several hours of laying upside-down under the dash as I cut and crimp to replace terminals. NOT going to be a good time, but in my mind, will be worth it once all my gauges and HVAC crap is working again, and my brake/taillights are no longer just wired straight to the battery.
Hopefully in another week or two, I'll get a chance to drag home that parts truck and rob a good front axle, and begin that process.

Does anyboy have an extra set of u-bolts and plates for an 8.25 laying around?

It's been awhile since I've been on here mainly because I didn't have a Jeep to drive or to work on but as of this weekend, I now have a drivable Jeep again. I got an '89 MJ. Don't get all excited, its a 2wd, but for a DD for me, it's gonna be awesome! A few details... 4.0/AW4, shift on the column, 8.8LS with 4.10 gears, short bed, no rust, and the body is pretty straight. I went to Ed's house to swap a set of Ravines on it only to realize, yet again, that there is a difference between old and new. The new rims won't fit on the old style 2wd beam due to the 2 piece caliper brackets and the actual bearing housing instead of the unit bearing design. Looks like I have some swapping to do or finding some 1/4" spacers to alleviate the problem. Either way, it's a project I can work on and drive at the same time and that's a good feeling.

Spent some time non the shop with Little G.

154C1188-6650-4AEE-BC83-A640B5E8780D.jpg

I really hate VB.

8B45AAB2-00F8-47B8-BCAF-FF195A6758B8.jpg

Did a much needed alignment... Front track bar is finally set correctly and toe is at 3/32s.
Still need to mount up the gas tank skid and rear hitch for it to be finished.
I also need to locate a front drive shaft.. anyone in the West Knoxville area have one they would part with? I've been contemplating buying a new one from woods or even locally at Knox driveline, but I'm only lifted 3.5 inches so I didn't see a reason to buy new if I can find a decent factory.
Hoping to do a shake down run at windrock Friday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hey Mark! Welcome back, bud!

Gassaway TN, huh. I thought you were making that up until I Google-Mapped it. You aren't close to anything!

Nice job on finding the MJ.

Hey! I almost bought a house in Gassaway myself! Pretty area, for sure!

Over the weekend, I made some more progress on my 2 door.
I replaced the track bar and the bad wheel bearing, which may or may not be relevant for long with the impending axle swap, but at least I'm not worried about driving the jeep until that happens. I also did the trick to lock in the CAD for now, so my 4wd will work reliably until the new axle goes in, and scored some more parts from a donor 2 door that a friend has.
Last night I removed the thermostat and housing, to replace it with the newer style that has the fan switch in it, but got interrupted before finishing the swap.
I also ordered all the fuse box terminals to repair all my electrical woes, so every few days the xj comes closer to being a pretty good rig.
I really need to figure out an extremely cheap way to insure it, as a vehicle that needs to be road-legal, but will only be driven one weekend a month or so for wheeling/camping trips. Right now, I still haven't even registered it, because it is only getting driven around my property and surrounding back roads to test new parts.
I might have to sell my daily driver Jetta so I can justify getting insurance for the jeep, lol....

Hey Mark! Welcome back, bud!

Gassaway TN, huh. I thought you were making that up until I Google-Mapped it. You aren't close to anything!

Nice job on finding the MJ.

Hey, I'm only 6 miles away from a Dollar General, I mean come on, what more do you need?

I ordered a set of 1/4" wheel spacers and I'm hoping that will solve the issue of the front Ravine's not fitting. I also stopped and got a couple bulbs for the front marker lights and I need to pick up a new flasher. The blinkers work but they are soooooo slow. I'm hoping the flasher is the problem.

So... I sold my XJ over the weekend.

Not to be too alarmed... I'm looking at getting another rig with what I got from the sale. Instead of buying one super cheap and building myself, I'm looking at buying an already built rig.

Surprisingly enough, there are some decent rigs for around what I sold my XJ for.

I'm looking for either a YJ or a Bronco. I found a built 88 Bronco, solid axles, in Sparta for $3100. I may pull the trigger on that.

Oh, and welcome back Mark!

Back