• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auburn XJers

clay

NAXJA Forum User
I recently moved to Auburn, Alabama, from California and have not found any local offroading clubs/groups. However, I have seen tons of built XJs around here and am hoping that at least some of them are NAXJA folks. If you're here please let me know!

clay

clay said:
I recently moved to Auburn, Alabama, from California and have not found any local offroading clubs/groups. However, I have seen tons of built XJs around here and am hoping that at least some of them are NAXJA folks. If you're here please let me know!

clay
Hey Clay,
Sorry to hear you just moved from CA! Welcome to 'Bama...Roll Tide! Oops, that's the OTHER school! My family is in SoCal, and I've done some schooling in NorCal. I've been here in Bama for 7+ years now. I'm about an hour from B'ham. There is a good 4x4 park, Grayrock, north of B'ham, and apparently Morris Mountain? which is southeast of Bham I think. I haven't been there yet, but I've been invited to a charity run in April that I'm going to try to get to. Our Club, CAOS, I think has a run going there this month, and rides just about every month, if not more frequently. They are mostly around B'ham though. I'm not familiar with any trials in the Auburn area. Unfortunately, Bama ain't like SoCal. There were a ton of trails, all open to the public. It's not like that here, but it does seem to be getting better! We'll have to hook up. What are the specs of your rig, and where in CA did you escape from??
Welcome!
Andy

PS....JOIN UP! There is a membership drive this month, and we want to kick the other Chapter's butts..........plus, you get a chance at a free air compressor!

Dude, I just checked your web page...you look a little too well edumacated for Bama...you might wanna go back to Davis...I'm an SFSU graduate...and I've spent some time on the Davis track....I think we beat'em!

I hope I never get too educated for a good time.

So far, I've seen a lot of sweet looking rigs around town but when I talk to folks, they pretty much tell me that there are very few places to go in this state, mostly national forests--not like NorCal. So are most of the rigs I see just built for show?

Rig specs:
1995 XJ, 4.0, 4 door, D30-locked, Chslr 8.25-open, RE 3.5" lift (full leafpack), 31" Trxus MTs, tow hooks front and rear, skids all around, Flowmaster catback exhaust system, K&N conical intake, and it leaks oil. (all work done with my own two hands)

Does your club have a website?

clay

Last edited:
clay said:
I
Rig specs:
1995 XJ, 4.0, 4 door, D30-locked, Chslr 8.25-open, RE 3.5" lift (full leafpack), 31" Trxus MTs, tow hooks front and rear, skids all around, Flowmaster catback exhaust system, K&N conical intake, and it leaks oil. (all work done with my own two hands)
clay
By your specs, minus the front locker, we've got pretty similar rigs. We'll have to get together. I'm always looking for "small tire" guys to hang with on the trail. A good bit of our club seems to be on 40's or so!

Hey Clay welcome

I'm near Montgomery, not very far from you. I can't use mine (XJ) yet it's under construction ;^). I will be up and running soon though. Till then I stuck here web wheelin!

Feel free to PM me, I'd like to get together with some dedicated jeepers sometime.

Our riding pretty much sucks. Once your here in AL for awhile you will understand why. I have a few places you can ride if you want to go, it's pasture land complete with cows. No real trails but it's something to do.

Check out grayrockorv.com, they are a park and have events that are pretty fun.

tompatjr: thanks for the offer. I will take you up on that sometime

ChuckstrPT: small tires make wheeling more challenging! and often more fun. 40s on an XJ seems unstable (unless you've cut the fenders completely off and removed the back portion of the vehicle).

So . . . does this mean that there aren't any NAXJA folk in or around Auburn? (meaning closer than a hour away)

clay

Last edited:
clay said:
40s on an XJ seems unstable (unless you've cut the fenders completely off and removed the back portion of the vehicle).

So . . . does this mean that there aren't any NAXJA folk in or around Auburn? (meaning closer than a hour away)

clay
Ok, let me clarify...the 40's are not on XJ's...although it seems we are getting a good many XJ's joining up. I'll have to press them for NAXJA membership.....
Hey- you could be the FIRST member in Auburn....did I mention the March Membership drive......step up to the plate....:sunshine:

Where or how in the hell did you find this 4yr and 3mo old post?
I am east of Auburn. Hey Jeepxj13 you going to GAP this Saturday? I'll be there in my friends burgundy CJ ridin shotgun lol.

Just typed in auburn Alabama. I would loved to but Im taking the cpat that morning, then heading out to work. If you see some guys in a fj80 they are so cool guys and would be fun to wheel with.

Ill keep my eyes open.

Thanks I timed a 8:40 on my first run. I hope to get it down before the real test comes around. Sucks about your back, but have you thought about ems?

Yea, I'm a senior in Mech. Engineering so that was just my second thought if the job market was in the crapper when I graduated. I don't have my EMT license yet but thats my next round of school once I graduate. I still run with my volunteer dept and it doesn't bother me, I just figure they wouldn't want the liability of me having back surgery so recently.

Back