• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7 stroker, whatchu got?

BTW - you guys have emissions out there Phoenix? I thought they were pretty liberal about that out there! I live here in the Peoples Republic of CA, where CARB is a total PITA -always scrutinizing every single change you make to your rig!

Yes we do here in Phoenix every 2yrs for OBD II, there not real strict on looking at your equipment, just that the Scanner they put on can't show anything "funny/strange".

I talked to Russ last week, and I am still waiting for an e-mail from him on his kits! My fall-winter project plan is for a 4.7 for my XJ. It is a slow dog getting up in the mountains!

I bought my "kit" from Russ - Scat crank and his BB/Scat rods, Comp cam 68-232-4 cam, Race-tec pistons, and a Racemaster timing set in 3/18 and it was about $1500. I spent the big buck's on his "all in" head/intake work whick was about$2k.

You guys made get on the phone with Russ for most of the day. We talked about the rest of the other 100hp that he built into my cylinder head. We discussed cams, roller cams, and higher ratio rockers, I'm leaning towards the rockers since everything else means a semi-teardown. The only issue I have is to keep it emissions compliant!

I'm running the 1.65 ratio rockers on my motor. In chasing a noise, I temporarily swapped in 1.6 stock rockers, and there was a noticeable drop in power. I think if I were doing it over I'd be talking to him about 1.7 ratio rockers instead.

I've never been fond of high ratio rockers because of their valve speed increase but it's that or tear into the motor. Russ is having Harland Sharp make some 1.7's for him, I am also looking at the Scorpiuon rockers.
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1155822

I like the Harlands Russ has made (i have run several sets over the years).

What I like about the high ratio rockers is that you're adding air without adding RPM to the power band. We ran the 1.7 adjustable rockers with fixed lifters on 4643, I went to the 1.65's on this car so that I didn't have to run a valve cover spacer (he didn't have 1.7 fixed rockers in stock).

I've had my original set for about 3yrs now(before I built my stroker) and they have been great. What I thought was a lifter tick turned out to be my cam pos sensor.
P1080471x_zpsetqh8leu.jpg

Anyone get any rocker tick with their HS 1.65 from Russ?

Yes, but it wasn't the rocker (that's why i swapped them out to test).

We believe we know what it is on my engine but I haven't taken it apart to prove or disprove yet, so don't to divulge yet.

I've had a tick somewhere between cyl 4/5 since it was new when Russ built the engine. wasn't a big deal with other things needing priority, but now it's annoying me and is at the top of my "to do" list.

We thought for a while that it may be a lifter issue, but it doesn't appear to be.

Then we thought the extra spring pressure of the LS valve springs + the added rocker ratio may be causing lifter bleed down, but at this point we're pretty sure that's not it either.

We have some other theories, but its premature. Ask me in a few weeks.

Are you getting it all the time or just at higher RPM? Mines all the time but more noticeable at low RPM, I think because there's less noise all around not drowning it out.

We thought for a while that it may be a lifter issue, but it doesn't appear to be.

Then we thought the extra spring pressure of the LS valve springs + the added rocker ratio may be causing lifter bleed down, but at this point we're pretty sure that's not it either.

We have some other theories, but its premature. Ask me in a few weeks.

What much lifter pre-load our you running?

Mine is a HV pump. You wouldn't know it looking at my build but i was trying to pinch pennies and I re-used the crank from the race car's engine, which had been reground twice now, and was a couple ten thousands undersized on the rod journals - so we went HV to help make up for it.

If I were doing it over I'd have bought a new scat crank.

What much lifter pre-load our you running?

Have made many adjustments. Shooting for 1/2 turn on course thread. Have gone as tight as full turn and as loose as 1/8 turn.

3 different types of lifters. 3 sets of rockers. 4 sets of push rods. 2 different heads. Lots of testing and disproving. :)

I will be most interested in what you find out. I hope to be following (somewhat) in your footsteps. I have to apply a bit of moderation though.

Back