• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better way to get down to Chinawall from Southwest Denver?

DigJeepsBrah

NAXJA Forum User
Are there really no roads you can take at all in those yellow ovals to get down there? Is it really I-25 to US-24, or 285 to Co Rd 77? Are there any service roads down there that connect anything? I should probly go buy a real map or something. I was hoping someone here may know of a way to get down there that doesn't take 2 hours by highway. I don't mind if it takes 2 hours by dirt service road. Just seeing if I can string some things together.

here_zps3b6f9f7f.png

here2_zps819234eb.png

Roll down 67 from sedalia and go to Deckers, take a right in Deckers towards Buffalo Creek/Pine area, but take a Left on FR 211. Maybe a mile or two out of Deckers before you start climbing. Take 211 all the way to Tarryall Rd. then go Right. China Wall will be a couple miles up the road. Might take some time, longer than 285 to Jefferson or 25 to the Springs through Woodland Park, but its almost all dirt roads!

Edit: Goose Creek Rd I believe.

I would definitely skip the 285 drive. YUCK>
Go 25 to 24.

285 is definitely less than desirable most of the time. More scenic and only slightly less crazy than SB I-25 south of 470. Bleh, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Roll down 67 from sedalia and go to Deckers, take a right in Deckers towards Buffalo Creek/Pine area, but take a Left on FR 211. Maybe a mile or two out of Deckers before you start climbing. Take 211 all the way to Tarryall Rd. then go Right. China Wall will be a couple miles up the road. Might take some time, longer than 285 to Jefferson or 25 to the Springs through Woodland Park, but its almost all dirt roads!

Edit: Goose Creek Rd I believe.

This sounds awesome. Thinking I might make it a day Sunday. Who's with me?!

Ya I am kind bummed. A lot of fun stuff this and next weekend ill be missing out on.
Eh outside of Sacramento for a few weeks.

Shouldn't be too bad. Have a double long island iced tea on the beach for me? Weather should be nicer than we've seen here the last two days.. Doing anything fun while you're out there? Family? Work?

Make sure there's lots of fruit and a little umbrella, otherwise it doesn't count.

Eh no beach. Be on my grandparents ranch. Old man had surgery a week ago and my grandmother goes in the 15th. There is a lot of work that needs to be done on the property and since he doesnt like driving anymore someone needs to drive em all around.
So basically family and lots of free labor LOL :D
Heavy drinking when I get back

Eh no beach. Be on my grandparents ranch. Old man had surgery a week ago and my grandmother goes in the 15th. There is a lot of work that needs to be done on the property and since he doesnt like driving anymore someone needs to drive em all around.
So basically family and lots of free labor LOL :D
Heavy drinking when I get back

Noble of you, sir. Sorry to hear of all the fuss about surgery. I'm terrified even thinking about surgery.

It could be worse though, imagine if they lived in Bastrop, Texas or something... A ranch in California still sounds better than most the scenery around here east of the front range.

Noble of you, sir. Sorry to hear of all the fuss about surgery. I'm terrified even thinking about surgery.

It could be worse though, imagine if they lived in Bastrop, Texas or something... A ranch in California still sounds better than most the scenery around here east of the front range.
Ya its not bad. Mostly orchard, and then some field. LOTS of fence and water lines to repair, but will be in the 70's and 80's and they are pretty decently away from town. By beile AFB if you know where that is.

Another thing about china wall - to stay on topic - It felt like a bummer to me after we ran it in the Xterra. Wished we woulda just takin the time to go to BV and hit chinamens or grizzly.

Funny you mention Chinamens.. I was just watching some youtubing of it.. Doesn't really look that bad. Just gotta rip off my end caps and watch the t-case clearance. People talk about it like it's nasty chit.

I guess I just wanna go do the "wall" at China Wall. Before I left for Moab I was apprehensive about trying China Wall because of that obstacle. However post Moab I want to eat it for breakfast. At least in Colorado when you screw up you don't fall several hundred feet to your inevitable fiery death.

Man, to be honest doing some work on a ranch out there doing irrigation and fence repair sounds pretty bitchin... Maybe not for free, but at least some beer. Y'know, for morale.

I like that kinda work, sets you free by the end of the day. You feel freaking great.

That is until it's 90-100 degrees, then you just kinda wanna freaking die..

Chinamens is not nasty. At all. Sliders are mandatory if you like your rockers or doors, regardless of tire size, my truck is proof of that.
But 31's and a rear locker or 33's open/open and it is a breeze. It can be done smaller. just takes confidence in your ability to wheel your rig.

Chinamens is not nasty. At all. Sliders are mandatory if you like your rockers or doors, regardless of tire size, my truck is proof of that.
But 31's and a rear locker or 33's open/open and it is a breeze. It can be done smaller. just takes confidence in your ability to wheel your rig.

Sliders, open/open, 32's, lots of new found confidence in my rig and my abilities post Moab. Got a whole new respect for my rig, and impressed my lady so much even she wants to spend some coin on the heep to do some more nasty trails. She's getting the bug man!

....No sense in telling her about these bats I thought, the poor girl would be seeing them soon enough.

The freaking bumper end caps are coming off tomorrow though.

and the fender flares.

HA its all good when the girl is on board. Get her to drive and you're in like Flynn.
I would not, however built, recommend running chinamens alone. While I have been known to hop on trails by myself that are stupid ideas (carnage/Pritchett) I really look back know and think how stupid it was. Chinamens is just a big loop, but not having been on it before there are a couple spots you could misjudge and get in a little bit of trouble. .02

HA its all good when the girl is on board. Get her to drive and you're in like Flynn.
I would not, however built, recommend running chinamens alone. While I have been known to hop on trails by myself that are stupid ideas (carnage/Pritchett) I really look back know and think how stupid it was. Chinamens is just a big loop, but not having been on it before there are a couple spots you could misjudge and get in a little bit of trouble. .02

Duly noted. I'm never to proud to get out and smoke a cigarette while I try to figure out how best not to die for the day. :smoker:

Chinaman's is quite a bit farther though. I don't imagine I'll hit that this week or weekend though. Maybe make a little overnighter out of that one, looks like the camping would be pretty nice too.

It is beautiful. Might wanna wait a few weeks at least on that one.
There is tons of wildlife. MadMike283 and I had a run in with a big group of elk poking around our tent when we camped there.

in Moab you fall to your death, then the flames come :p

I guess I just wanna go do the "wall" at China Wall. Before I left for Moab I was apprehensive about trying China Wall because of that obstacle. However post Moab I want to eat it for breakfast. At least in Colorado when you screw up you don't fall several hundred feet to your inevitable fiery death.

Back